armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Army.com General Discussions > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 12-17-2006, 03:28 PM
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo1 View Post
The aim is to put the lid onto Pandoros box by dividing up Iraq.... I for one dont think it would work, cos of the location of oil interests.... it would start a civil war along ethnic lines.... That much is a fact no matter what way we turn. The need for a federal state is obvious and the best way to go, the need for VERY STRONG GOVERNMENT is also a requirement, now and into the future..... Dividing up Iraq now will acheive nothing, I am sorry to say..... there is a solution but tactics need to change by the Allies...
Sry for not posting .
Good point Exo . But what I suggest would be along the lines of Yugoslavia .I do not propose pulling out .Just a realisation that these people can't live together as in Yugoslavia.
The UN would have to man the borders as in Cyprus etc but they have experience of this . The Americans are just targets now .They do not posess the qualities required for an occupying army ,surely you see that . A little imagination is required not more of the same with the inevitable loss of mainly American lives .

Old 12-17-2006, 03:35 PM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald Reitlinger View Post
Sry for not posting .
Good point Exo . But what I suggest would be along the lines of Yugoslavia .I do not propose pulling out .Just a realisation that these people can't live together as in Yugoslavia.
The UN would have to man the borders as in Cyprus etc but they have experience of this . The Americans are just targets now .They do not posess the qualities required for an occupying army ,surely you see that . A little imagination is required not more of the same with the inevitable loss of mainly American lives .
I do agree that they need to change tactics from the top down cos the lack of ability at the top politically has lead to loss of US servicemen and Iraqi civvis alike. However, whilst the possibility of a federal type system of government should be looked at, dividing up the country will be counterproductive...... I agree with your final point also, the US has to start thinking outside of the box to make what ever solution they come up with work.... time is ticking in lives on all sides....

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"

Old 12-19-2006, 12:36 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

A change in direction is needed......thats plain to see.....i hope George W reconises that.....its about Blair and Bush swallowing their pride for the sake of everyone Iraqi American and British.......admitting you were wrong and taking steps to change the situation is a sign of a real man........the warning signs were there in May 03.........i could see the problems that were going to be faced.....that was 3 and ahalf years ago...........theyve wasted 3 years trying to bend the pieces untill they fit.........and they still dont.......maybe a change of goverment here and america.......when not if they come.....will bring fresh ideas.......cos its not working........that has to be edknowleged

Old 12-19-2006, 01:32 PM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrj100 View Post
A change in direction is needed......thats plain to see.....i hope George W reconises that.....its about Blair and Bush swallowing their pride for the sake of everyone Iraqi American and British.......admitting you were wrong and taking steps to change the situation is a sign of a real man........the warning signs were there in May 03.........i could see the problems that were going to be faced.....that was 3 and ahalf years ago...........theyve wasted 3 years trying to bend the pieces untill they fit.........and they still dont.......maybe a change of goverment here and america.......when not if they come.....will bring fresh ideas.......cos its not working........that has to be edknowleged

Here here!!... Well said man.... These politicians need to do something foreign to them, admit there wrong and start a plan to fix it.... get that lid back onto pandoros box and the new reality will be ALLOT better then what we currently have.... a stable Iraq is the goal... then its hometime for the US and UK servicemen... they more then anybody need to finish the job... too many lives invested into the tragedy that the highest levels of government sent them unprepared into...

Old 12-20-2006, 05:05 PM
Private First Class

Quote:
I do agree that they need to change tactics from the top down cos the lack of ability at the top politically has lead to loss of US servicemen and Iraqi civvis alike. However, whilst the possibility of a federal type system of government should be looked at, dividing up the country will be counterproductive...... I agree with your final point also, the US has to start thinking outside of the box to make what ever solution they come up with work.... time is ticking in lives on all sides....
Personally I think the Kurds in Iraq are already independent and only take part in Iraq governmet due to US pressure to be seen to be active in Iraq assembly .Iraq is already fragmented ,why continue to lie to ourselves?

Old 12-21-2006, 11:12 AM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Personally I think the Kurds in Iraq are already independent and only take part in Iraq governmet due to US pressure to be seen to be active in Iraq assembly .Iraq is already fragmented ,why continue to lie to ourselves?
The Kurds are not as removed from a centralised Iraq then you think. they know that Turkey will leave them alone if they stay on board with the US. Otherwise, they face occupation from Turkey. I dont think we are kidding ourselves, its in everybodies interests to get on with stabilizing a centralised Iraq.

Old 12-21-2006, 04:01 PM
Private First Class

Quote:
The Kurds are not as removed from a centralised Iraq then you think. they know that Turkey will leave them alone if they stay on board with the US. Otherwise, they face occupation from Turkey. I dont think we are kidding ourselves, its in everybodies interests to get on with stabilizing a centralised Iraq.
Turkey is not only a NATO country but also wants to become part of EU. They will not do what you say unless EU gives them green light

Old 12-23-2006, 04:16 PM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Turkey is not only a NATO country but also wants to become part of EU. They will not do what you say unless EU gives them green light
Yea, dont be so sure mate... I thought that myself but the PKK has proven to be a real pain the *** for Turkey and US are very grateful to them for their continuing support.... enough to derail our "organised" EU response to any annexation of Northern Iraq as a "preemptive action" in self defence.... you know, following the examples of other is a great excuse for stuff....