armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Help and Assistance
User Name
Password

Old 09-17-2007, 01:36 PM
Recruit

Default Women restricted from...family issue

The one thing I want isn't on the site from what I can tell. What are women banned from in the military? Everybody knows Infiltry is the main thing but over the years I've heard we aren't allowed on tanks or subs either. I would have joined right out of high school, but the fact that I would have restrictions just because someone thinks I'm better off staying home and having some moron babies turned my stomach. Some six years later, it looks like it might be my only ticket out of the rut I'm in. I can't afford school, and since I wasn't a jock or a genius I don't qualify for enough grants. (I want to be an EMT)

There is also the family issue...my family despises the military. My sisters ex turned abusive after he got out of the military. Odds are if I sign up I'll get disowned. Any advice on that?

Old 09-17-2007, 02:16 PM
Recruit

My husband is prior military and he told me that he believes the reason why women are restricted from combat arms is because that no one wants to see their mother die, and since well a female is a symbol of "motherism" (if you will hah) men will pause and possibly they will lose their life as well. I don't know... just what he told me.

About the other. I believe that you should do whatever you want with your life. I don't think your family would actually disown you, but then again I'm not in your shoes, and I don't know them.

My mother hates the fact that her 21 year old baby girl is joining the US Army, but this is what I told her after she yelled at me for an hour on my cell phone.

"Mom, I am 21 years old. I am now an adult. I dropped out of 10th grade, and got my GED at 16 years old. I didn't go to college and now I am married and I have a year old son. I'm working at Sonic making 6.10 an hour. Do you honestly think I want this for the rest of my life? I want my son to grow up and be proud. I want to be proud of myself. I want to look into the mirror everyday and say YES I did this on my own while everyone else thought that the little girl who loves pink, hates bugs, hates to stink and sweat wouldn't make it! BUT I DID!"

Like I said, do what you want. If you don't..... you'll go through the "what ifs" later on down the road.

Anyways, good luck & be well!

Old 09-17-2007, 05:39 PM
Sergeant First Class

well if u think about it, andi m not trying to be gross, but if you were in combat, and a woman was on her period, and there are wild animals that can track that and trust me people can to its got a distinct smell, it leaves a trail. women focus more on emotions then logic. its just how we are built. also ur right men feel inately protective of women, no matter how manly they are lol. so that will distract them from their job.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:35 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NessaMouse View Post
The one thing I want isn't on the site from what I can tell. What are women banned from in the military? Everybody knows Infiltry is the main thing but over the years I've heard we aren't allowed on tanks or subs either. I would have joined right out of high school, but the fact that I would have restrictions just because someone thinks I'm better off staying home and having some moron babies turned my stomach. Some six years later, it looks like it might be my only ticket out of the rut I'm in. I can't afford school, and since I wasn't a jock or a genius I don't qualify for enough grants. (I want to be an EMT)

There is also the family issue...my family despises the military. My sisters ex turned abusive after he got out of the military. Odds are if I sign up I'll get disowned. Any advice on that?
Firstly, children, esp. babies aren't morons. Only their parents.

Secondly, yes there are restrictions .. however, more jobs than not are open to women now. Only combat arms (those jobs that involve combat as the main purpose of the job) is closed to women. That's infantry, armor, combat engineering, etc.

If you're looking for a hard hitting job that requires guts, will and determination, I would suggest looking into EOD (Explosive Ordnance Disposal) .. that's the military's bomb squad. We allow females in that field.

There are plenty of jobs out there for females, so if you want to join .. I'm sure you'll find one that interests you.

As for your family, if they would disown you so easily .. they really aren't much of a family at all. You need to do what you feel is bste for you and your future, there comes a point where you have to live your own life, not someone elses.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:56 PM
First Sergeant

Women are restricted to combat MOS's for the following reasons
1) Logistics
2) Physical Limitations
3) Moral

Having to quarter females is a nightmare, two separate latrines, two separate everything. It is much easier to for a scoot and shoot combat unit to do their job without tying them down with all of this hassle.
I am an Artilleryman by trade, I work on a cannon that shots a 98lb round. This is done a sustained rate of fire. It will kick the *** of a strong man, imagine what it would do to a woman. Everything is hard, heavy work, from humping joes to changing the track on a howitzer or ammo vehicle.
During a fight I need a troops mind on the objective at hand, not worrying about some little young thing that he's been eying in his section.
The first support unit I was assigned to was a real wakeup call for me. Being in combat arms for so many years, I never understood the logistical nightmare it really was. it is mens nature to pick up the slack when it comes to a female. I'm not saying its right or wrong, it just is what it is.
Now ladies go ahead and tell me what a chauvinist pig I am.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:10 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

I don't know why the responders to this topic are making this a "WHY Women AREN'T allowed" in certain fields issue. If you want to shout from a soap box, there is a topic for it, this isn't it. The person was simply looking to find out information on what the restrictions are and had confusion it seems on what was actually restricted.

Start taking the time to READ what someone is asking instead of being more concerned with getting your opinion heard and this board will run a lot smoother.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:23 PM
Sergeant First Class

well i totally agree with bunny. andthe poster didnt understand why there were restrictions and we elaberated. so stop reading to into it. this is a forum not a rule by rule conversation

Old 09-18-2007, 08:50 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliptica24 View Post
well i totally agree with bunny. andthe poster didnt understand why there were restrictions and we elaberated. so stop reading to into it. this is a forum not a rule by rule conversation

A very shocking reply from someone as ignorant as yourself.

Old 09-18-2007, 03:09 PM
Sergeant First Class

pats tacky on the head* u think that if that makes you feel any better

Old 09-18-2007, 05:01 PM
First Sergeant

Pvt Tacky, at ease.