armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > Armies of the World
User Name
Password

Old 01-01-2007, 05:00 PM
General of the Armies

Default US Navy Seals - MOUT

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2gwxkxWKF0&mode=related&search=[/url]

US Navy seals engaged in platoon strength urben street clearance and attack.... Would have thought that was more for well drilled regulars.... but it seems the SFs are getting drawn into more Conventional Actions, thus more force pentration to acheive objectives based on conventional type tactics.. British SAS were drawn into this change in 1942 with disasterous results... only when they went back to unconventional battle plans and formations did they regain successful missions through actions causing utter chaos and mayhem... circumstances are different now for US Seals, but I do wonder... anyway, have a looksee, come interesting commentary from the US Seal Brass also..

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"

Old 01-01-2007, 06:21 PM
First Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo1 View Post

US Navy seals engaged in platoon strength urben street clearance and attack.... Would have thought that was more for well drilled regulars.... but it seems the SFs are getting drawn into more Conventional Actions, thus more force pentration to acheive objectives based on conventional type tactics.. British SAS were drawn into this change in 1942 with disasterous results... only when they went back to unconventional battle plans and formations did they regain successful missions through actions causing utter chaos and mayhem... circumstances are different now for US Seals, but I do wonder... anyway, have a looksee, come interesting commentary from the US Seal Brass also..
I will tell what isnt interesting.. The ignorant comments made about the video.

Old 01-01-2007, 06:50 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

That video made me giggle.

Old 01-02-2007, 04:51 AM
General of the Armies

Aha... so its a bluff job... nice one.... Was wondering why they would wonder into the territory of what regular units (Like the one I was in) do as a speciality of sorts.... well that makes more sense now..... large formation engagements would have being a waste of their talents I would have thought.... looks like I was right then...

Old 01-02-2007, 06:06 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Aha... so its a bluff job... nice one.... Was wondering why they would wonder into the territory of what regular units (Like the one I was in) do as a speciality of sorts.... well that makes more sense now..... large formation engagements would have being a waste of their talents I would have thought.... looks like I was right then...
Why is it you think that is something only conventional units would ever need to do?

The SEALs are quite used to operating in platoon sized elements, nothing new about that at all.

I believe you are too caught up in conventional vs. unconventional - tactics are tactics and there's no rulebook that says conventional tactics have no place in SOF or vice versa.

Last edited by Tacky; 01-02-2007 at 06:08 AM..

Old 01-02-2007, 03:34 PM
Brigadier General

That vid makes it look like the US just stumbled on urban warfare .SIGH
We've been using those setups for decades . It was a bit weird them dressed up like the Provo's as well

Last edited by Spike; 01-02-2007 at 03:38 PM..

Old 01-02-2007, 06:22 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:

seems like conventional army?

Old 01-03-2007, 03:37 PM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacky View Post
Why is it you think that is something only conventional units would ever need to do?

The SEALs are quite used to operating in platoon sized elements, nothing new about that at all.

I believe you are too caught up in conventional vs. unconventional - tactics are tactics and there's no rulebook that says conventional tactics have no place in SOF or vice versa.
Yea, I come from a multifunctional small army and we as regulars had to be proficient (in training) in such attacks given our situation at the time... Im tying it back to my own experience I suppose.... Looking at large militaries like yours Tacky, I can understand why you would ask the question....

Yep, dont doubt the Seals do platoon size actions..... I suppose given what I said above, it ties into your last comment.... the line between conventional and unconventional is different in my head... but yea, 100% they can be interchanged if its to the best interests of acheivement of goals, etc....

Old 01-03-2007, 03:40 PM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
That vid makes it look like the US just stumbled on urban warfare .SIGH
We've been using those setups for decades . It was a bit weird them dressed up like the Provo's as well
There was a cross over by one man... (turned into line of fire before leapfrogging back to next rear position)..... Yea, lol... the aul bally..... its like X marks the spot....

Old 01-03-2007, 03:42 PM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by torspo[fin] View Post
seems like conventional army?
That tactic was developed by US Airborne in WW2.... its conventional in nature, but as Tacky rightly says, SF units use it too... its testament to the effectiveness of it in certain urben settings...