armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Army.com General Discussions > Politics
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

  #1  
Old 11-04-2006, 10:57 AM
Apache7 Apache7 is offline
Sergeant First Class
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 158
Default Iraq...its time to leave

Iraq's spiralling sectarian strife
In the first of a series on the sectarian violence in Iraq, the BBC's Mike Wooldridge explores the increasing domination of the capital Baghdad by bombers, gunmen and militias.
The Americans, working with Iraqi forces in a new drive to reclaim parts of the Iraqi capital from gunmen and bombers, call it Operation Together Forward.
authority of Iraq's still relatively new government, to the coalition's handover of full responsibility for security to the Iraqis and - more importantly - to averting what even US officers now acknowledge is the risk of outright civil war.

They are claiming some successes in reducing the number of violent incidents in areas they have already tackled and detaining people alleged to be involved in the violence.

But nowadays who are they actually up against?

The most visible trend in recent months in Baghdad and certain other cities and towns has been the increasing sectarianism - deadly, tit-for-tat violence perpetrated by certain Shia Muslim groups against Sunnis and certain Sunni groups against Shias.
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old 11-04-2006, 11:15 AM
Texas's Avatar
Texas Texas is offline
Major General
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,765
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache7 View Post
Iraq's spiralling sectarian strife
In the first of a series on the sectarian violence in Iraq, the BBC's Mike Wooldridge explores the increasing domination of the capital Baghdad by bombers, gunmen and militias.
The Americans, working with Iraqi forces in a new drive to reclaim parts of the Iraqi capital from gunmen and bombers, call it Operation Together Forward.
authority of Iraq's still relatively new government, to the coalition's handover of full responsibility for security to the Iraqis and - more importantly - to averting what even US officers now acknowledge is the risk of outright civil war.

They are claiming some successes in reducing the number of violent incidents in areas they have already tackled and detaining people alleged to be involved in the violence.

But nowadays who are they actually up against?

The most visible trend in recent months in Baghdad and certain other cities and towns has been the increasing sectarianism - deadly, tit-for-tat violence perpetrated by certain Shia Muslim groups against Sunnis and certain Sunni groups against Shias.
So what would be your solution Apache ?
__________________
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 11-04-2006, 12:46 PM
jrj100's Avatar
jrj100 jrj100 is offline
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: uk
Posts: 1,584
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas View Post
So what would be your solution Apache ?
This guy cant even tie his own shoe laces.....

there needs to be a change of iraqi leadership in my opinion.....it was said he wasnt biast be hes shown nothing other then biast.......ive come to think over the last few months ....we are trying to install a democracy into a place where people dont know what it means.....who would be a polition??? not me
__________________
One day President Roosevelt told me that he was asking publicly for suggestions about what the war should be called. I said at once 'The Unnecessary War'.
Sir Winston Churchill, Second World War (1948)
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 11-04-2006, 12:52 PM
Exo1's Avatar
Exo1 Exo1 is offline
General of the Armies
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ireland (Ex Irish Army)
Posts: 10,457
Default

The Iraqi Army needs to be brought upto strength and speed..... deployment needs to be agressive for law enforcement, and also on the borders, cos its a free way of weapons coming from Iran.... Once thats done, the Iraqi security presence needs to be felt, and encorced aggressively...... cant have any Parimilitaries getting a foothold like hez did in Lebannon... The rebuilding should start in earnest with hospital, schools, farming restructuring, and irrigation projects along with sewerage and waterwork projects...... Arts and national interests should also get attention at this stage.... It can be done, but it will take skill at the highest level to pull it off....
__________________
"Barrel High, Powder Dry!"

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 11-04-2006, 02:17 PM
onep0int onep0int is offline
Major
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Miami
Posts: 1,109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas View Post
So what would be your solution Apache ?
You're not really expecting an intelligent answer from him are ya Tex?
__________________
"We do not negotiate with terrorists, we put them out of business." - Scott McClellan

"War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over" - Gen William T. Sherman
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 11-04-2006, 04:40 PM
Texas's Avatar
Texas Texas is offline
Major General
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,765
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by onep0int View Post
You're not really expecting an intelligent answer from him are ya Tex?
Thats up to him !
__________________
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 11-05-2006, 05:36 AM
Exo1's Avatar
Exo1 Exo1 is offline
General of the Armies
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ireland (Ex Irish Army)
Posts: 10,457
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas View Post
Thats up to him !
Too true, but I think we all know how that one is going to work out....
__________________
"Barrel High, Powder Dry!"

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 11-05-2006, 10:45 AM
jrj100's Avatar
jrj100 jrj100 is offline
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: uk
Posts: 1,584
Default

Theres over 8,000 British troops in Southern Iraq at the moment.....they undertake limited patrols......but most of the time they are confined to base......the hand-over of secters is a slow process but it will happen.....its time to be paitent in my opinion....it wont happen over night...... the hand-over will take place.......when the Iraqi army is ready....and at the moment it is clearly not.......most people with good military knowledge understands the problems that can be faced......but unfourtunetly Apache isnt a person with any military knowlege whatsoever
__________________
One day President Roosevelt told me that he was asking publicly for suggestions about what the war should be called. I said at once 'The Unnecessary War'.
Sir Winston Churchill, Second World War (1948)
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 11-06-2006, 05:57 AM
Exo1's Avatar
Exo1 Exo1 is offline
General of the Armies
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ireland (Ex Irish Army)
Posts: 10,457
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrj100 View Post
Theres over 8,000 British troops in Southern Iraq at the moment.....they undertake limited patrols......but most of the time they are confined to base......the hand-over of secters is a slow process but it will happen.....its time to be paitent in my opinion....it wont happen over night...... the hand-over will take place.......when the Iraqi army is ready....and at the moment it is clearly not.......most people with good military knowledge understands the problems that can be faced......but unfourtunetly Apache isnt a person with any military knowlege whatsoever
Spot on bro.... It gotta be done right, cos anything less, and the insurgency will spread like a cancer to the rest of Iraq andthen to the region, and then west..... Regardless of whos to blame for starting it, Its gotta be checked at source.... and yes, Apache is witless for sure on anything military....
__________________
"Barrel High, Powder Dry!"

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old 11-08-2006, 11:41 AM
jrj100's Avatar
jrj100 jrj100 is offline
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: uk
Posts: 1,584
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo1 View Post
Spot on bro.... It gotta be done right, cos anything less, and the insurgency will spread like a cancer to the rest of Iraq andthen to the region, and then west..... Regardless of whos to blame for starting it, Its gotta be checked at source.... and yes, Apache is witless for sure on anything military....
it dosnt matter whos to blame now.....that isnt relivent anymore.....nipped in the bud as you say......but im scratching my head on where to start in Iraq
__________________
One day President Roosevelt told me that he was asking publicly for suggestions about what the war should be called. I said at once 'The Unnecessary War'.
Sir Winston Churchill, Second World War (1948)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:37 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    
·Contact Us   ·Legal   ·Privacy   ·Link To Us    ·Advertise With Us    ·About Us    ·Site Map     
     Copyright 2004-2019 Activv, LLC. All rights reserved. Armyreal.com is a service provided by Activv.
This website is not affiliated, endorsed, authorized, or associated in any way with any government, military or country.