armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Army.com General Discussions > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 11-04-2006, 10:57 AM
Sergeant First Class

Default Iraq...its time to leave

Iraq's spiralling sectarian strife
In the first of a series on the sectarian violence in Iraq, the BBC's Mike Wooldridge explores the increasing domination of the capital Baghdad by bombers, gunmen and militias.
The Americans, working with Iraqi forces in a new drive to reclaim parts of the Iraqi capital from gunmen and bombers, call it Operation Together Forward.
authority of Iraq's still relatively new government, to the coalition's handover of full responsibility for security to the Iraqis and - more importantly - to averting what even US officers now acknowledge is the risk of outright civil war.

They are claiming some successes in reducing the number of violent incidents in areas they have already tackled and detaining people alleged to be involved in the violence.

But nowadays who are they actually up against?

The most visible trend in recent months in Baghdad and certain other cities and towns has been the increasing sectarianism - deadly, tit-for-tat violence perpetrated by certain Shia Muslim groups against Sunnis and certain Sunni groups against Shias.

Old 11-04-2006, 11:15 AM
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache7 View Post
Iraq's spiralling sectarian strife
In the first of a series on the sectarian violence in Iraq, the BBC's Mike Wooldridge explores the increasing domination of the capital Baghdad by bombers, gunmen and militias.
The Americans, working with Iraqi forces in a new drive to reclaim parts of the Iraqi capital from gunmen and bombers, call it Operation Together Forward.
authority of Iraq's still relatively new government, to the coalition's handover of full responsibility for security to the Iraqis and - more importantly - to averting what even US officers now acknowledge is the risk of outright civil war.

They are claiming some successes in reducing the number of violent incidents in areas they have already tackled and detaining people alleged to be involved in the violence.

But nowadays who are they actually up against?

The most visible trend in recent months in Baghdad and certain other cities and towns has been the increasing sectarianism - deadly, tit-for-tat violence perpetrated by certain Shia Muslim groups against Sunnis and certain Sunni groups against Shias.
So what would be your solution Apache ?

Old 11-04-2006, 12:46 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas View Post
This guy cant even tie his own shoe laces.....

there needs to be a change of iraqi leadership in my opinion.....it was said he wasnt biast be hes shown nothing other then biast.......ive come to think over the last few months ....we are trying to install a democracy into a place where people dont know what it means.....who would be a polition??? not me

Old 11-04-2006, 12:52 PM
General of the Armies

The Iraqi Army needs to be brought upto strength and speed..... deployment needs to be agressive for law enforcement, and also on the borders, cos its a free way of weapons coming from Iran.... Once thats done, the Iraqi security presence needs to be felt, and encorced aggressively...... cant have any Parimilitaries getting a foothold like hez did in Lebannon... The rebuilding should start in earnest with hospital, schools, farming restructuring, and irrigation projects along with sewerage and waterwork projects...... Arts and national interests should also get attention at this stage.... It can be done, but it will take skill at the highest level to pull it off....

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"

Old 11-04-2006, 02:17 PM
Major

Quote:
You're not really expecting an intelligent answer from him are ya Tex?

"War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over" - Gen William T. Sherman

Old 11-04-2006, 04:40 PM
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by onep0int View Post
You're not really expecting an intelligent answer from him are ya Tex?
Thats up to him !

Old 11-05-2006, 05:36 AM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Thats up to him !
Too true, but I think we all know how that one is going to work out....

Old 11-05-2006, 10:45 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Theres over 8,000 British troops in Southern Iraq at the moment.....they undertake limited patrols......but most of the time they are confined to base......the hand-over of secters is a slow process but it will happen.....its time to be paitent in my opinion....it wont happen over night...... the hand-over will take place.......when the Iraqi army is ready....and at the moment it is clearly not.......most people with good military knowledge understands the problems that can be faced......but unfourtunetly Apache isnt a person with any military knowlege whatsoever

Old 11-06-2006, 05:57 AM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrj100 View Post
Theres over 8,000 British troops in Southern Iraq at the moment.....they undertake limited patrols......but most of the time they are confined to base......the hand-over of secters is a slow process but it will happen.....its time to be paitent in my opinion....it wont happen over night...... the hand-over will take place.......when the Iraqi army is ready....and at the moment it is clearly not.......most people with good military knowledge understands the problems that can be faced......but unfourtunetly Apache isnt a person with any military knowlege whatsoever
Spot on bro.... It gotta be done right, cos anything less, and the insurgency will spread like a cancer to the rest of Iraq andthen to the region, and then west..... Regardless of whos to blame for starting it, Its gotta be checked at source.... and yes, Apache is witless for sure on anything military....

Old 11-08-2006, 11:41 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo1 View Post
Spot on bro.... It gotta be done right, cos anything less, and the insurgency will spread like a cancer to the rest of Iraq andthen to the region, and then west..... Regardless of whos to blame for starting it, Its gotta be checked at source.... and yes, Apache is witless for sure on anything military....
it dosnt matter whos to blame now.....that isnt relivent anymore.....nipped in the bud as you say......but im scratching my head on where to start in Iraq