armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Basic Training
User Name
Password

Old 01-11-2008, 05:57 PM
Corporal

Send a message via MSN to angelbubbles68 Send a message via Yahoo to angelbubbles68

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilson View Post
Hi new worried mom~
I am in the same boat. My son left on the 3rd. and I am having a hard time. I am very anxious and worried. It is so hard to let them go. He did call me and he is having a hard time also. I will pray for your son. please keep in touch I am hoping this will help me cope.
God Bless
seems we have alot of son's who left on the 3rd mine was another one.. he is in Mo at Ft.LeonardWood. where is yours at? if there is anything i can do to help you let me know...

Old 01-13-2008, 01:25 PM
Staff Sergeant

My son is in FT Leonard Wood. Finishing up those darn Push ups. Then moves on to AIT. Not sure where he will be after that but I know where it is he will be a good group of guys & girls, that will be his family while we are not there. Hang in there moms.

Letter are great! Phones calls are better! When you get to see them, it is like..., Well there is nothing like it!

MTOMOM

Old 01-13-2008, 02:08 PM
Corporal

Smile

I received a call today from my son in Fort Sill. Reception is hard because there is a lot of waiting around and to much time to think. He sounds good though. Great to hear his voice. I am looking forward to graduation!

Old 01-13-2008, 03:10 PM
Corporal

My son called me today from Ft. Still too!! He sounded pretty good, better than I thought he would and said the same thing. They are tired of waiting around.He said the platoon had been "smoked" a couple of times already for some of the soldiers talking when standing in line. We need to email each other and find out if our son's know each other. How do we do that?

Old 01-13-2008, 03:42 PM
Corporal

Send a message via MSN to angelbubbles68 Send a message via Yahoo to angelbubbles68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentuckymom View Post
My son called me today from Ft. Still too!! He sounded pretty good, better than I thought he would and said the same thing. They are tired of waiting around.He said the platoon had been "smoked" a couple of times already for some of the soldiers talking when standing in line. We need to email each other and find out if our son's know each other. How do we do that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by twilson View Post
I received a call today from my son in Fort Sill. Reception is hard because there is a lot of waiting around and to much time to think. He sounds good though. Great to hear his voice. I am looking forward to graduation!

thats good that you ladies got to hear from your sons and they are doing good..i heard from my son too but he is in Ft.LWood and was still in reception and was very bored...lol i am sure once he gets out of reception he wont be bored any longer and will be wishing he was back there lol...

Old 01-13-2008, 04:17 PM
First Sergeant

To answer the easy question, you can private message each other with the info your looking for or email address.
As for the original questions, I can only tell you what I have experienced. I am a 13B. Cannon Crewman. I've been doing it for 19 years. When you are working the MOS its one of the best MOS's there is, in my opinion. problem is, 13B's are being used as infantry and doing a lot of patrol work. There are still gun battery's emplaced and ready to fire, but they haven't in a long while. Your boy is going to Iraq. count on it. Once upon a time a 13b would go straight to Germany from AIT, but not any more. Grafenweir and Baumburg have been reduced to shadows of what they were. Artillery needs a lot of room to function. I was seeing E-4's coming back from Iraq that had never been on the back of a gun since AIT. From a career standpoint its a bad thing, but we're at war and it is what it is.
I'll say this, I never even got a bonus to enlist as 13B when I went in, so $40K is pretty strong. If they get lucky and go to a stateside unit, they will get good MOS training there, but they go to Iraq, it will be Infantry tactics and training.
Nightflyer gave you a pretty standard listing for the job. It is a lot more complex than it sounds. Placing a 98lb round on a target that is 10 kilometers away is a skill. Lots of things to take into account for to include the rotation and curvature of the Earth. I've been assigned to Artillery, Engineer, Signal and training units. Of all of them, the Artillery units were the most cohesive.
This is the best time of year to go to Ft. Sill. It will get cold, but its not arctic cold. The summer is HOT! it's a nice modern base. your boys will be fine.

Old 01-13-2008, 05:58 PM
Corporal

I appreciate the honesty Gunbunny, but it does scare me quite a bit. I was hoping that if he went to Iraq at least he would not be going from house to house or carrying a gun down the street. He wants to do something that matters and that is in the action I guess but Mom sure doesn't want him that close. Can you give me any encouragement on the situation in the streets if that is where he ends up. People say riding the transports or Bradley vehicles is the most dangerous but I would think patrol would be worse?

Old 01-13-2008, 06:55 PM
First Sergeant

He will be trained to deal with a patrol. The way training is conducted now verses pre-911 is night and day. Troops used to marched to a mess hall to eat in a formation. Now its a tactical march that may very well include an IED or other hazard to deal with. It becomes common place to expect and watch for these things. Let your sons chain of command worry about transporting soldiers. They will know what is the best way to handle that task. I haven't been downrange in awhile and plan to retire this November. Tactics have changed a lot in a short period of time. I would rather see what is coming as opposed to reacting to what is happening.
I personally feel that the training that new soldiers are getting, the experience of veterans and lessons learned have all contributed to the decrease in casualties. If he comes up on something while on a patrol, he'll be trained to deal with it.
If he is assigned to a "firing battery" he will be further to the rear.
Your boy will be fine. Its natural to be concerned. Your going to worry until he comes back home. By the way, what part of KY are you from. I was raised close to Maysville on the river.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:37 PM
Corporal

MOREHEAD!! I love Maysvillle. Used to live across the river close to Aberdeen.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:37 PM
First Sergeant

Morehead. the place where teachers are made. I haven't been there in probably 25 years.
I know Aberdeen well. My grandfather had a dairy farm in Red Oak and lives out near Lewisburg now. My family moved to Mt. Orab when I was a kid. Back in the day Maysville was the only place to get anything. I was home over the holidays. The whole place moved up the hill.