armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Money and Finance
User Name
Password

Old 08-17-2005, 07:07 PM
Private First Class

Wink enlistment bonus

My husband enlisted in the army and finishes Basic, now he is doing his AIT. He thought after basic he got part of the enlistment bonus you got when you joined. Can someone please shed some light on the matter? Thanks

Keri
Baton Rouge, LA

Old 08-18-2005, 04:50 PM
Sergeant First Class

Send a message via Yahoo to SoldierofAmerica

This can be a bit confusing, first off you will have to prove that the Army owes you an enlistment bonus so be sure to keep all of your paperwork in order. Once you complete your BCT and AIT or OSUT and arrive at your first duty station you will have to provide proof that you are owed a bonus then you will receive half up front then the remainder is divided by the total number of years you enlisted for and given that percentage after a year and every year after that.

Make ANY sense????

Old 08-18-2005, 05:51 PM
Private First Class

Default Hum when it comes to money to do not play around

Well, I think that is bullcr...If they cannot supply they should not mention a bonus...heh and his brother is his recruiter. It figures! That is stupid you have to prove they owe you... they are the ones who type up the enlistment papers... they should have a copy... well you help in this matter is appreciated. Heh... I am not silent when it comes to Money. So, you do not get the first half until you finish AIT? and are stationed at your first base?

Thanks

Keri

Old 08-18-2005, 05:56 PM
Sergeant First Class

Send a message via Yahoo to SoldierofAmerica

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeriC
Well, I think that is bullcr...If they cannot supply they should not mention a bonus...heh and his brother is his recruiter. It figures! That is stupid you have to prove they owe you... they are the ones who type up the enlistment papers... they should have a copy... well you help in this matter is appreciated. Heh... I am not silent when it comes to Money. So, you do not get the first half until you finish AIT? and are stationed at your first base?

Thanks

Keri
Yeah, kinda sucks, just their way of making sure they get a good return on their investment

Old 01-05-2006, 11:26 AM
Recruit

Default re: bonus question

hi Keri. if you look on his paperwork, the stuff filled out between him and his recruiter, there should be a page that runs down all his enlistment info. like, how many years, rank, MOS, and the size of the bonus they agreed on. technically, the recruiter should have taken care of all that when his paperwork was being processed. This is what the other post meant by showing that he is entitled to a bonus. just showing that paperwork. Another thing is, I know that bonuses aren't distributed until after AIT, not Basic. hope this helps, try not to worry too much.
-spooky

Old 01-05-2006, 03:24 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeriC

Thanks

Keri
He's getting a bonus for providing the Army with a skill, until he as completed AIT, he does not posses that skill, therefore he does not deserve his bonus. Everyone goes through basic training, but not everyone comes in with the same MOS and qualifications. That's what they pay for.

There are some horror stories concerning those not receiving their bonus, having to prove it existed, etc. However, 90% of the time it works out without a hitch. As the above poster mentioned, his information will be in his paperwork.

I would not get up in arms over nothing. The Army doesn't owe you money yet, and you do not know that there will be any problems when they do. Look at his paper work to find out what type of bonus he got. When the time comes, you may find that it isn't a problem at all.

Old 01-15-2006, 08:26 AM
Private

What's really a joke in my opinion is this huge bonus that the 88M's are being offered. Hell, have of them leave AIT, and go straight to war. (I know my best friend and his unit shipped about 35 other fresh out of AIT soldiers) He died, thus he never got to see any of his money. It may sound selfish as a friend, but in my opinion, they only real reason that half of these 'raises' are being made for HIGH-RISK MOS' is because half of the soldiers who sign up thinking that they are going to have all of this money - really will NOT see any of this money, and I honestly think the government had this in mind when they did such.

Sure, I'm a soldier and I love my country - but I'm here for job security and income security.

Old 01-15-2006, 11:36 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kill_em_all
What's really a joke in my opinion is this huge bonus that the 88M's are being offered. Hell, have of them leave AIT, and go straight to war. (I know my best friend and his unit shipped about 35 other fresh out of AIT soldiers) He died, thus he never got to see any of his money. It may sound selfish as a friend, but in my opinion, they only real reason that half of these 'raises' are being made for HIGH-RISK MOS' is because half of the soldiers who sign up thinking that they are going to have all of this money - really will NOT see any of this money, and I honestly think the government had this in mind when they did such.

Sure, I'm a soldier and I love my country - but I'm here for job security and income security.

More than half receive their bonuses. 88Mike is a critical MOS, this is where there is a bonus..it has little to do with it being "high risk." Look at the bonus offered for cooks, not much high risk about that.

Old 01-15-2006, 02:20 PM
Private

Is that not what I just said? Let's think about it. The enlistment bonus in my eye is just a bunch of eye candy for the overeager human being trying to make money. An 88M is most likely going to lose his life right now and that's not just me talking from my arse. So let's think about this for a second, why no give an 88M a wonderful encentive to join? I mean, it's not like we actually have to give it to him/her, right? For those who did survive, we can give the money, because that's saved money from the bonuses we didn't have to distribute.

You're right, a bonus for a cook isn't much? Why? Because they actually will end up giving it to him. How many cooks lose their life in a fire fight in the kitchen, or a strategically placed IED in his soup bowl? Yeah, right.

Again, a proud soldier, but I know that Im just another toy in the Governments plot to be a superpower in the world. To be honest, I dont care too much about that either, as long as I do my 9-5 and get paid for it. Although you wont find me falling for their inpudent tricks. I'm happy with my $6,000 signing bonus for a 27D (High risk right? lol..) - a paralegal skiz and damn proud of it.

Old 01-15-2006, 03:24 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kill_em_all
Is that not what I just said? Let's think about it. The enlistment bonus in my eye is just a bunch of eye candy for the overeager human being trying to make money. An 88M is most likely going to lose his life right now and that's not just me talking from my arse. So let's think about this for a second, why no give an 88M a wonderful encentive to join? I mean, it's not like we actually have to give it to him/her, right? For those who did survive, we can give the money, because that's saved money from the bonuses we didn't have to distribute.

You're right, a bonus for a cook isn't much? Why? Because they actually will end up giving it to him. How many cooks lose their life in a fire fight in the kitchen, or a strategically placed IED in his soup bowl? Yeah, right.

Again, a proud soldier, but I know that Im just another toy in the Governments plot to be a superpower in the world. To be honest, I dont care too much about that either, as long as I do my 9-5 and get paid for it. Although you wont find me falling for their inpudent tricks. I'm happy with my $6,000 signing bonus for a 27D (High risk right? lol..) - a paralegal skiz and damn proud of it.
An 88M is most likely to lose his life? Compared to whom? An 11B? A 31B? Hardly. Majority of KIAs during OIF have been 11bravos on the Army side of the house. 88M can certainly be a dangerous job, but the bonus offered is because the MOS is critically manned. This is why we are allocating other MOSes (13M for example) as 88Ms to fill slots.

And if you were to read my post, you would see I said the bonus for a 92G (a cook) is high.

Bonus for a cook ranges from 3K to 12K.

Anyone joining the military solely for the bonus without accepting the realities of the military is foolish to begin with. Regardless of the MOS, one may find himself sitting in a third world country in a less than ideal situation. If one is unwilling to accept these realities that are attached to the bonus, the military is probably not for you.

As for 27Delta being high risk, I supposed it depends on how you look at it. I personally would not want to be surrounded by JAGs day in and day out, put me in a hot AO any day.