armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > National Guard
User Name
Password

Old 12-02-2008, 06:08 PM
Recruit

Default From Active Army to National Guard

I am a 35 YO male and have always wanted to join the Army but the time was never right. I recently decided that it's now or never so I went to a recruiter and started the process. I went to MEPS two weeks ago scored a 70 on the ASVAB and was found fit by the Army to serve with only one set back, I found out I was colorblind. I wanted infantry and wanted to be deployed to either Iraq or Afghanistan but seeing as being colorblind DQ's me from infantry I don't have a lot of interest in the active Army anymore. I still want to serve but I don't want a desk job or to be a truck driver and that is pretty much it for my options now. I am a Correctional Officer in the civilian world and really enjoy what I do I was joining the Army strictly for the excitement and adventure and the honor not for any job training that world help me with a career once I was out of the Army. What I am planning on doing now it joining the Army National Guard this way I will still get to serve my country and when I choose a MOS even if it isn't the infantry I'll only have to do it one weekend a month two weeks a year and at least sometime in the next few years I am almost guaranteed to be deployed plus I'll get to learn some new trade. My question is do I have to go to MEPS again or can I have my MEPS paperwork transferred to the ANG? Also would I swear in ASAP or would I have to wait until I shipped out because I was under the impression once you join the Guard you start training immediately with your unit until you ship for boot camp.

Thanks in advance,
Mark

Old 12-02-2008, 07:31 PM
Private First Class

Default Meps

Your physical and asvab are good for two years. There are several jobs open to an applicant that is completely colorblind. Keep in mind that the same qualifications for jobs apply to both the Army and the Army National Guard. Call 1-800-Go-Guard and they will hook you up with a recruiter. That recruiter will SPF you over from the Regular Army.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:40 PM
Captain

Another visit to MEPS is a real possibility for the simple fact that funding for National Guard is different than funding for Active Army or Army Reserve. The National Guard is state funded while the Army/Army Reserves is federally. It shouldn't take much to switch your paperwork over but there are different people who work on the NG side of the house.

As far as when you have to report it, that is dependent on your ship date to BCT. You are only authorized so many drill days before you go to training due to funding.

Good Luck!

Old 12-02-2008, 08:16 PM
Private First Class

Default Facts

Armygirl4never is a bit off in her info.

Your physical and asvab are good for 2 years. PERIOD You only have to go back to Meps to Inspect and Enlist.

When you join the Army National Guard you leave MEPS as a soldier. You report to the very next drill weekend at RSP.(recruit sustainment program) There you will be preparing for basic training.

Call 1-800-Go-Guard and get in touch with a recruiter. You will sing a form 680 which will allow the Guard to own your record. Takes one day for it to happen.

Also, you will be discharged if you do not attend basic training within 12 months of enlisting. MEPS is not funded by the different military branches.

FYI. The Army Guard is both federally funded and State funded.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:58 AM
Brigadier General

Something else you might want to research- The Guard has an "Active First" contract at times where you can sign up for active duty & when that's completed you'll go into a Guard unit for the rest of your 8 years. I'm not sure about the length of active duty time or whether the requirements to enlist are National Guard standards (it's easier getting waivers in the Guard) or Regular Army standards. That way you'll be guaranteed a slot in a Guard unit when you complete your active duty. The best of both worlds.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:24 PM
Private First Class

Default Hooah Active First

The Active First is now watered down a bit.

Active First:
3 years active. At the end of your 3 years you have a choice to reenlist into the Regular Army or serve your remainder in the Army Reserve or the Army Guard.

The bonus can range from $8,000 to $30,000. You will not know that until you are at MEPS signing your paperwork.

Contact a recruiter and leave no room for doubt.

The Guard now uses the same AR 601-210 for moral waivers.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:29 AM
Brigadier General

Good to know that, SSG. Thanks for posting that. I know at times that was unavailable throughout the year so they must have a limited amount of slots available for that program.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.