Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Army.com General Discussions > The Lounge
User Name
Password

Old 05-20-2009, 07:49 AM
Sergeant First Class

Default Suprised???

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberryShortcake View Post
Michael was given an ELS today, and will be home within 4 weeks.. so..

i don't know if it'd be weird if I stayed on the Forums.

Well Cake, I hate to be a I told you so...but. I am not suprised that this happened. When you first joined the forum we discussed the massive amount of problems he was having in reception and I knew then it was going to go downhill from there. I aint saying I am happy it happened I am just saying that we were sure from the beginning he wasnt Military material. I hope you stay on the forum so you can keep us posted as to how he is adjusting to civilian life , the job search etc.. I know you love him and I hope he gets his shiite to gether so you can have the happiness you both deserve. Make sure he understands that we dont think any less of him, he just wasnt cut out to be a Soldier. Not a bad thing, just a fact. Stay on the forum and continue to keep stirring up the shiite pot!! Also keep posting pics of your hot little self.

P.S. When I said you went from hot to smoldering volcano hot, it was because you shared that you were Bi. That conjured up more visual images then my old heart could stand!!

Old 05-20-2009, 10:36 AM
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG Glenn View Post
What I said on my post of 27 April where you tore me a new one. I can always tell when things like that are going to happen. I'm sorry I called him a quitter. I shouldn't have come on so strong but all the signs were there. I had a very strong feeling he was going to be unadaptable/unacceptable for Army service. But you were right - I didn't know him so I had no business condemning him but I've seen it many times in the past when I was involved in recruit training. At least he didn't go the "attempted suicide" route, usually a couple of scratches on the wrists & a nice stay in a psych ward & then a nice discharge.

I truly & sincerely wish you & him the very best. I hope life is good to you.

Be aware of the stages he might go through :

At first he'll be glad to be out. He'll feel freedom like he didn't know for the length of time he was in. This is related to the "released prisoner" feeling.

He might sleep a lot. It's either an escape method or a feeling of having to catch up on the sleep he missed in the Army.

He might start to get moody after a while. He'll start thinking himself as not quite a complete man. He joined a man's world & found himself wanting. He couldn't make the grade. He'll question his manhood.

Eventually he'll get over at least most of it. He'll aways have the lingering doubt of what could have been. He may at one time in the future try to enlist again. He'll have a feeling that for once & for all he has to prove himself.

A former neighbor, now deceased, got kicked out of basic training during the Vietnam era. He was extremely glad to be out. He was a volunteer not a draftee so he wasn't forced in. After a few years he tried successfully to enlist again. He admitted that he felt half a man. This time he made it through & volunteered for Special Operations. To make a long story short he was trying to prove himself so much that he came home with a Medal of Honor after having saved many lives & killing many enemy at extremely great risk & disregard for his own life. Overcompensation? he thought so, although of course he said that he really didn't do anything like all real heroes say.

I attended his funeral just before Thanksgiving last year. He was 66 years old & finally died from the wounds he had received. I was on his honor guard & was honored to be there.
He's not the type of person who does well in the military. It takes a certain kind of person to be able to go to war, see what you see, and still be able to live like a normal person. He was only in his 3rd week of BCT and he could not sleep, he'd write me chicken scratch letters at 2 a.m. He was depressed, he felt like this just wasn't for him, and that it wasn't right for him to be there, etc.

I expect him to go through all the things you described, and I'll be here supporting him the entire way (something I cannot say his family will do.)

Thanks for all the advice!

& I'm sure that your neighbor was very proud. R.I.P.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:38 AM
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmedik View Post
Well Cake, I hate to be a I told you so...but. I am not suprised that this happened. When you first joined the forum we discussed the massive amount of problems he was having in reception and I knew then it was going to go downhill from there. I aint saying I am happy it happened I am just saying that we were sure from the beginning he wasnt Military material. I hope you stay on the forum so you can keep us posted as to how he is adjusting to civilian life , the job search etc.. I know you love him and I hope he gets his shiite to gether so you can have the happiness you both deserve. Make sure he understands that we dont think any less of him, he just wasnt cut out to be a Soldier. Not a bad thing, just a fact. Stay on the forum and continue to keep stirring up the shiite pot!! Also keep posting pics of your hot little self.

P.S. When I said you went from hot to smoldering volcano hot, it was because you shared that you were Bi. That conjured up more visual images then my old heart could stand!!
I'm not surprised either, but it is in his absolute best interest, and I can't say I at all mind him being home again!!!

I'll keep you updated =)

&...you're such a typical male

Old 05-20-2009, 11:24 AM
First Lieutenant

Quote:
I'm not surprised either, but it is in his absolute best interest, and I can't say I at all mind him being home again!!!

I'll keep you updated =)

hahaha. yes he is!

Old 05-20-2009, 11:29 AM
Sergeant First Class

&...you're such a typical male [/QUOTE]

*slaps hand to forehead* talk about stereotypes! i'm on another forum giving jb a hard time about stereotypes, and you guys go and continue more stereotypes about guys! lol *shakes head*

Old 05-20-2009, 11:32 AM
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier gf View Post
*slaps hand to forehead* talk about stereotypes! i'm on another forum giving jb a hard time about stereotypes, and you guys go and continue more stereotypes about guys! lol *shakes head* [/QUOTE]

hahaha. that's veryy funny! i didn't even realize that!

Old 05-20-2009, 11:38 AM
Sergeant First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by missinhim View Post
*slaps hand to forehead* talk about stereotypes! i'm on another forum giving jb a hard time about stereotypes, and you guys go and continue more stereotypes about guys! lol *shakes head*
hahaha. that's veryy funny! i didn't even realize that![/QUOTE]

well, at least it should help me! thanks

Old 05-20-2009, 11:40 AM
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier gf View Post
well, at least it should help me! thanks
ha. your welcomee.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:36 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Michael was given an ELS today, and will be home within 4 weeks.. so..

i don't know if it'd be weird if I stayed on the Forums.
Please dont leave the forums....is that what you want to hear...shall we beg you to stay?

I have only just accepted you as a "friend"

It wouldnt be weird if you stayed and continued posting....not in my opinion anyway.

You are right in saying some people just have not got the Forces in them....its best for them(and the Army)that they follow their head and heart after discussing it with his COs

All the best to both of you Shortcake....may you both find happiness in whatever you chose to do in the future(military or civilian).

Best wishes

jrj1000
and I'll show you a man waiting for a beating.

كافر

Old 05-21-2009, 01:11 AM
Sergeant

Send a message via Yahoo to I Luv My Solider

Im sorry to hear that he is no longer going to be in the military, just make sure you encourage him... But I think you should totally stay on here!!