armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > Support our Families
User Name
Password

Old 01-27-2009, 09:45 PM
Private

Default New to the Army life

Hello everyone! I have so many questions. My fiance and I have been together for almost four years. He recently joined the army, and is at Fort Leonardwood in MO. He signed up for Combat Engineer..Hes been gone since the 5th and I miss him so much already. How do you ladies do it??? Especially if you have children??? I was wondering, will we be able to get married after AIT? He is comming home after AIT for hometown recruiting..We were able to talk on the phone Sunday, but it had been so long since we were able to talk that the conversation was all jumbled...he mentioned something about being stationed somewhere for a month then being sent to Afghanistan...So, how long are soldiers gone over seas at a time? Should I move to his duty station after hometown recruiting? Is it worth it? I already live three hours away from my family, I cant move even farther if he isnt even going to be home. And another thing, since he is only enlisted for 2 years active duty..will he be gone over seas the whole time??? Any information helps greatly!!

Old 01-28-2009, 08:39 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nichole88 View Post
Hello everyone! I have so many questions. My fiance and I have been together for almost four years. He recently joined the army, and is at Fort Leonardwood in MO. He signed up for Combat Engineer..Hes been gone since the 5th and I miss him so much already. How do you ladies do it??? Especially if you have children??? I was wondering, will we be able to get married after AIT? He is comming home after AIT for hometown recruiting..We were able to talk on the phone Sunday, but it had been so long since we were able to talk that the conversation was all jumbled...he mentioned something about being stationed somewhere for a month then being sent to Afghanistan...So, how long are soldiers gone over seas at a time? Should I move to his duty station after hometown recruiting? Is it worth it? I already live three hours away from my family, I cant move even farther if he isnt even going to be home. And another thing, since he is only enlisted for 2 years active duty..will he be gone over seas the whole time??? Any information helps greatly!!
Yes, you can get married when he's home after AIT. As far as deployment rotations, they are currently running 15-18 months.

As far as moving there with him, that's a personal choice. I have never gone home when my husband has deployed, I like being in the home we established together. But I know many who do. If he is saying he will be deployed a month after he gets to his duty station (though I don't know how he would know that, does he already know where he is being stationed? Soldiers don't usually get their orders until a few weeks into AIT), it sounds like he will spend a good chunk of his enlistment deployed. And if the unit he does deploy with has orders that go beyond his enlistment, he will be stop-lossed until they come back and then he will get out 90 days after they redeploy stateside.

Hope I hit all your questions.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:09 PM
Private

So if he goes to afghanistan after AIT, and the people he goes with are still there after his enlistment time is up he has to stay too?

Old 01-28-2009, 09:12 PM
Private First Class

yeah the soldiers have come and go w/their units i know it sucks...something the recruiters dont talk about unless directly asked lol...that brings up another thought....recruiters must hate their jobs, i remember being a telemarketer, and our techniques are quite similar and i hated it lol

Old 01-28-2009, 09:12 PM
Captain

Quote:
So if he goes to afghanistan after AIT, and the people he goes with are still there after his enlistment time is up he has to stay too?
Yes, he will stay with his unit until they redeploy even if it's after his ETS.

Do you already know where he is going to be stationed after he graduates?

Old 01-28-2009, 09:21 PM
Private First Class

and another thing, army girl is right, he wouldn't do where his duty station is until a bit into ait so he'd have no knowledge of when he'd be deployed till he gets assigned to the unit....and on a side note, a bunch of rumors go like this is boot camp...one of my friends in the marines was told he was going to iraq right after he finished his career training only a week into his boot camp....so i really wouldn't worry about that right now, having him away is stressful enough w/out worrying about rumors on top of things. I mean of course he will deployed at some point, but seriously, dont worry about that now and just treasure when you do get to talk to him, and i'm sure you're next conversation or letter you hear from him, you'll be a little less confused.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:13 PM
Private

well, Sunday was the first time we were able to have a real conversation. It was only for 20 minutes, but the week before that it was only for two. So we were pretty excited and were all over the place, and cutting eachother off. All I heard was that he would come home for hometown recruiting..go to his duty station for like a month then to afghanistan..hes only been gone since the 5th. So Im sure...hoping.....that its all just hear say...He said something about his duty station being in Arizona or Georgia...Then that was the end of the conversation. He told me in a letter that he wants me to move to his duty station. But I feel emotionally that I just cant handle that..if he goes over seas I will be so emotionally distraught I will need to be in a familar place. Especially if he wont be back for like 15-18 months? How hard is it to get leave when your over seas? Maybe I wouldnt be so lonely if we had a child..Do either of you ladies have children?

Old 01-29-2009, 03:24 AM
Captain

Quote:
well, Sunday was the first time we were able to have a real conversation. It was only for 20 minutes, but the week before that it was only for two. So we were pretty excited and were all over the place, and cutting eachother off. All I heard was that he would come home for hometown recruiting..go to his duty station for like a month then to afghanistan..hes only been gone since the 5th. So Im sure...hoping.....that its all just hear say...He said something about his duty station being in Arizona or Georgia...Then that was the end of the conversation. He told me in a letter that he wants me to move to his duty station. But I feel emotionally that I just cant handle that..if he goes over seas I will be so emotionally distraught I will need to be in a familar place. Especially if he wont be back for like 15-18 months? How hard is it to get leave when your over seas? Maybe I wouldnt be so lonely if we had a child..Do either of you ladies have children?
I have three boys.

As far as the leave question. When a Soldier is deployed they get 15-18 days (it depends on whether they are gone 12 or 15 months) of leave once during their deployment.

I wouldn't stress so much, like the person in the previous post mentioned rumors fly like crazy during BCT.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:58 PM
Private

15-18 days for a whole year??!!?

Old 01-29-2009, 10:06 PM
Captain

Quote:
15-18 days for a whole year??!!?
Yes, that's how the deployment cycle works. They deploy for 12-15 months. Starting 60 days into the deployment they can start taking their leave and the cutoff to take leave is 60 days before they redeploy. You get 15 days if you deployed for 12 months and 18 if you are gone 15 months.