armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Enlistment Information
User Name
Password

Old 04-26-2009, 05:45 PM
Sergeant

Send a message via AIM to lilyOhio
Question medical question, tmj

so i have recently discovered i probably have tmj (TemporoMandibular Joint) issues. this causes me to not be able to open my jaw all the way, my jaw to pops, my bite is off and sometimes makes my inner ear hurt. it hasn't been diagnosed by a doctor and isn't a huge issue to me except for the fact that it is really annoying. i know i probably have it because my mom does and i have basically all the symptoms.

what i was wondering is, will this cause me problems when trying to enlist? would i have to get a waiver for it or will this make me ineligible for enlistment?

Old 05-01-2009, 10:58 AM
Private First Class

Thumbs up

I once heard someone say if it is not diagnosed you don't have it!!! go with that if they find it a MEPS then you can go from there but I wouldn't think this would be a issue I also have it and it doesn't happen all the time nor does it effect my day to day life lol just my husband hates hearing my jaw pop.....I was at the recruiter station with my husband and there was a guy there about 23 or so and before you go to meps you asked tons of questions about your health so the recruiter says have you ever had any heart condtions....Well I think I had a heart attack one time I had bad chest pain it was never diagnosed but I am pretty sure it was a heart attack he would have to get it cleared from a Dr and a waiver because of something he thought......did he have a heart attack fat chance it was probably gas or a panic attack but listening to him he thought everything was wrong with him but none of it was diagnosed so the recruiter told him before I send you to MEPS go get all this stuff cleared because the way your talking your never going to pass a physical......point being if its not diagnosed then you don't have it!!!! so keep it to yourself if you do have it the Dr at MEPS will find it!
Good Luck!!!

Old 05-01-2009, 11:15 AM
First Sergeant

I doubt that it will be a problem. If it doesn't affect your everyday life don't mention it. Mention it to your recruiter, even though they will probably say to keep it to yourself. However, when you go to MEPS, they do make you open your mouth and say "Ahhh". Just pray that your jaw doesn't pop when they have you do that.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:52 PM
Sergeant

Send a message via AIM to lilyOhio

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Whiskey View Post
I doubt that it will be a problem. If it doesn't affect your everyday life don't mention it. Mention it to your recruiter, even though they will probably say to keep it to yourself. However, when you go to MEPS, they do make you open your mouth and say "Ahhh". Just pray that your jaw doesn't pop when they have you do that.
so, i have to get a guard to put in my mouth at night. my jaw does pop a lot, so this may be an issue... i don't know how long i have to wear it, but would something like that really keep me from joining the army?

also, my knees, back and shoulders pop a lot, but it doesn't affect my everyday life. they do it ALL the time though, so they would probably do it at MEPS. this is really annoying because i am in good shape and physically active with no problems, i just have noisy joints, lol

Old 05-01-2009, 02:03 PM
First Sergeant

You should be good then. If you have no problems with your joints popping then don't mention it.