armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Enlistment Information
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

  #1  
Old 12-26-2008, 11:32 AM
sjc sjc is offline
Recruit
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2
Default Joining Actice Duty now vs Joining after 4 years of college

I know I'm going to join the Army, active duty, at a certain point in my life.
I have right now completed 3 semesters of college.

and i'm wondering, should i join now? or maybe should i go through more education and join later? perhaps after i receive atleast a bachelor's?
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old 12-26-2008, 12:11 PM
MSG Glenn's Avatar
MSG Glenn MSG Glenn is offline
Brigadier General
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 2,729
Default

Waiting until you get your Bachelor Degree has its advantages. You can enlist with an OCS contract. You'd attend OCS right after basic in place of an AIT school. If you want to serve as an enlisted man you would enlist in the Army as an E-4. There are certain advantages to be enlisted in as much as you can choose your MOS & get some neat contracts like Airborne, Special Forces or Ranger.

If you joined the Army right away before graduation you can go back to school after you get out & let the Montgomery GI Bill pay for the rest of it. Depending on training & deployment tempos you can probably get some college credits in while serving.
__________________
Proud Dad of a USArmy Ranger SFC - 3/75 Rangers
USNavy 1960-1966 Submarine Service, Navy Diver-UDT 21
USArmy 1980-2001 Airborne Infantry,G3, Army Instructor, Commo Instructor Company 1SG
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 12-26-2008, 01:34 PM
coloradope's Avatar
coloradope coloradope is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 91
Default

I joined the Army recently, and possess a B.S. Part of my contract states that the US Army will pay off up to $20k of my student loan debt. This then leaves my GI Bill intact for my masters degree. Pretty good route I think.

Good luck.........
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 12-26-2008, 04:44 PM
scconwill's Avatar
scconwill scconwill is offline
First Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Florence Alabama
Posts: 718
Send a message via AIM to scconwill
Default

Army ROTC!
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 12-26-2008, 05:56 PM
MSG Glenn's Avatar
MSG Glenn MSG Glenn is offline
Brigadier General
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 2,729
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scconwill View Post
Army ROTC!
Too late for him, Samuel. He's finished 3 semesters already. OCS would be his next step to a commission if he desires to finish up to a Bachelors Degree.
__________________
Proud Dad of a USArmy Ranger SFC - 3/75 Rangers
USNavy 1960-1966 Submarine Service, Navy Diver-UDT 21
USArmy 1980-2001 Airborne Infantry,G3, Army Instructor, Commo Instructor Company 1SG
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 12-26-2008, 06:43 PM
scconwill's Avatar
scconwill scconwill is offline
First Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Florence Alabama
Posts: 718
Send a message via AIM to scconwill
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG Glenn View Post
Too late for him, Samuel. He's finished 3 semesters already. OCS would be his next step to a commission if he desires to finish up to a Bachelors Degree.
..........you can contract in and got to LTC to make up the two years he missed (MS 111,112,211,212). Then your Junior year you go to LDAC. Na its not too late they give out 4,3, 2 year scholarships.
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 12-27-2008, 06:47 AM
MSG Glenn's Avatar
MSG Glenn MSG Glenn is offline
Brigadier General
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 2,729
Default

I still think he'll get a better deal with the MGIB. My son not only has his education paid for but receives a stipend of over $1000 a month, unemployment comp. & Reserve pay. None of these conflict with the other, it's all legal. The Veteran's Counselor at his school told him it was all a go. Since he's a combat vet he gets VA priority so along with Reserve Tricare he's got his medical covered.

He's going to a two year tech college & then will continue on for his Bachelors at the state U. As long as the pay comes through he'll stay. He may even go for a Reserve commission if he stays in.

How do they work ROTC annual training with those who are starting in their Sophomore or Junior years? Do they have to play catch-up? I used to run Senior Cadets through their Advanced Camp at Ft. Riley & there's three years worth of training behind them. Very few second chances. They either did it or they didn't. There's a lot of things to do in that short time & very little time for actual training on subject matter they learned last year or the year before.
__________________
Proud Dad of a USArmy Ranger SFC - 3/75 Rangers
USNavy 1960-1966 Submarine Service, Navy Diver-UDT 21
USArmy 1980-2001 Airborne Infantry,G3, Army Instructor, Commo Instructor Company 1SG
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 12-27-2008, 10:08 AM
scconwill's Avatar
scconwill scconwill is offline
First Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Florence Alabama
Posts: 718
Send a message via AIM to scconwill
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG Glenn View Post
I still think he'll get a better deal with the MGIB. My son not only has his education paid for but receives a stipend of over $1000 a month, unemployment comp. & Reserve pay. None of these conflict with the other, it's all legal. The Veteran's Counselor at his school told him it was all a go. Since he's a combat vet he gets VA priority so along with Reserve Tricare he's got his medical covered.

He's going to a two year tech college & then will continue on for his Bachelors at the state U. As long as the pay comes through he'll stay. He may even go for a Reserve commission if he stays in.

How do they work ROTC annual training with those who are starting in their Sophomore or Junior years? Do they have to play catch-up? I used to run Senior Cadets through their Advanced Camp at Ft. Riley & there's three years worth of training behind them. Very few second chances. They either did it or they didn't. There's a lot of things to do in that short time & very little time for actual training on subject matter they learned last year or the year before.
The First two years of ROTC are just general military knowledge nothing major. Basically it installs a routine in your life (PT M,W,F at 0545, Lab W from 1400-1600). LTC is like a slowed down BCT with the purpose of giving the future Cadets proper training. So it's kind of like catch-up. After LTC in our unit they push you to do the College First Program with the guard so you get your drill pay. You also get a full ride because if they send you to LTC your going to contract. Now your JR year is where they give you all your real training. Then you go to LDAC (Officers Basic as I call it) and employ your skills. Senior year you prepare for BOLIC 2,3 and service school.
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 12-28-2008, 03:00 AM
jrj1000's Avatar
jrj1000 jrj1000 is offline
Brigadier General
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Living the dream!!!
Posts: 2,815
Default

Do what I didnt...Education first ...Military after...if you can find a way thats right to combined the two....even better
Never sacrifice the present for the future...not when it comes to education

Just my opinion mate
__________________
Some People say the most important thing
a fighter can have is heart.
show me a fighter who's nothing but heart,
and I'll show you a man waiting for a beating.

كافر
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old 12-29-2008, 09:22 PM
coloradope's Avatar
coloradope coloradope is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 91
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrj1000 View Post
Do what I didnt...Education first ...Military after...if you can find a way thats right to combined the two....even better
Never sacrifice the present for the future...not when it comes to education

Just my opinion mate
Sound advice!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:54 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    
·Contact Us   ·Legal   ·Privacy   ·Link To Us    ·Advertise With Us    ·About Us    ·Site Map     
     Copyright 2004-2019 Activv, LLC. All rights reserved. Armyreal.com is a service provided by Activv.
This website is not affiliated, endorsed, authorized, or associated in any way with any government, military or country.