armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Army.com General Discussions > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password

Old 08-17-2005, 06:51 AM
Recruit

Default Just joined

Just joined this forum and find it very interesting. My son is in the National Guard and currently awaiting deployment. Sniff, sniff! But I couldn't be prouder of him. And all of the others that have so selfishly vouunteered to serve this great country.

Actually, I had different motives for joining. My son is about ready to do something that I think is very stupid, but I wanted to get some opinions. Maybe I will rest a little easier. Anyway, he just graduated boot camp in July and just was just delpoyed in August. In that time he got in contact with his Best Friend. Now, just weeks before he is scheduled to leave for Iraq, he and his Best Friend, whom he hadn't seen for one year until recently, have decided to get married. I think that she is a golddigger just out to get the almightly dollar that she thinks that she can get from him.

Isn't there some military law or something that I can do to stop this wedding? I played the mom card asking him to wait until he comes back from Iraq, but alas that did not work. Someone in all their infinite wisdom told me that a soldier cannot get married if they are getting ready to be deployed. is that true? Guys, don't get me wrong, I want my son to be happy, but I think that seeing a girl for the first time in a year and then deciding to get married that night is a little quick. I just don't want her taking him to the cleaners while he is gone.

HELP!!!!!

Desparate mom

Old 08-17-2005, 03:22 PM
Recruit

Default Re: GuardMom

Take a deep breath. The more you talk against him getting married ....you can finish that sentence yourself. I hope that he will rethink this. Not because I think that she is a golddigger........Maybe your son heard about all that extra money he'll be paid if he's married..did you think about that option yet?
Sorry, if I stepped on your toes. There is no law against them getting married. Is it possible that the girl is pregnant? Did you try contacting her parents? I bet they are just as "thrilled" as you are.
If they are getting married, you should try to stay neutral. If this works out, you will not be the 4ever hated mother-in-law. If it doesn't work out, you can think to yourself that you knew it all along. Think positive!

Old 08-17-2005, 06:07 PM
Recruit

I don't think that she is pregnant, at least not by him. He just saw her for the first time in a year just the other day.

Oh, and her parents are thrilled about this whole thing. They want their daughter married. They are planning to have a small ceremony before he leaves and a big one when he returns in 18 months. Her parents have already got the cake, flowers, dress, reception place, the minister and the band.

I just have this gut feeling that he is doing the wrong thing.

Now not only am I feeling scared that he is leaving, but now I have this to worry about too. I am finding this one of the hardest times in my life. My only son is leaving for 18 months to somewhere that I cannot protect him, as I have all his life. But....

Enough, maybe this is just all the emotions rolled up. Saying goodbye to him was the hardest thing that I have had to do. It's the not knowing that is really getting to me. I am so scared right now. That is my baby boy! I know, I know he's a man now. He joined the Guard and knew what he was doing. I need to have faith in him and his knowledge. It's just so hard. I hear about all the stuff going on in Iraq and it scares the crap out of me. The thought of my son over there is horrifying to me. I am glad that I have this place to vent out. MY poor husband is getting tired of my yelling at him all the time. I guess you would call this a great support group, huh. Someone to talk to.

Thanks for listening.