armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Help and Assistance
User Name
Password

Old 05-07-2009, 07:48 PM
Private

Question Best way to study

Im trying to study for the asvab because I want to get a decent score, atleast to land a decent job into the military for a career.. I have been trying to study on this study book and also looked up on registering on march2sucess but I had a problem..

When I actually finish studying and I close the book and walk away.. I began to think to myself and recap on my trouble parts. What have I learned today in my study session? And I think... hmm well wait I can't really remember ... I CANT REMEMBER!!! When I go back and look at the parts I think I can't remember... I remember them a little.. but when I move on and then go back, its like I got to retrain myself because their is so much other stuff I had to remember and learn trying to go back to something I first learned is sorta forgetable...

What are some good methods that help you study?
I currently, go into a quiet room. Well lit. And start going at it... I can't actually tell if its working for me 100% I tried to play a little music not to loud and or tv. I get side tracked like "damn thats a good song, i wanna play it again" or "oh ****.. this shows kinda good... ooo what happens next. aw man commerial.. oo. food. i am kinda hungry" so... what helps you people study?

Also on last note....
I saw an ad somewhere about some pills you take that help you study. Any idea on if these are good or not?

oh and one LAST question just an information question.
If and when I do take my asvab. Okay. And Im sure I will pass. Im going to pass it.. but when I take it. How soon will I be going to basic?? Someone told me like after 3 months or something.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:53 PM
Second Lieutenant

Study about an hour after a good breakfast.

I'm a big fan of flashcards, I make flashcards for everything.

& My bf shipped out 29 days after taking his ASVAB.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:59 AM
Sergeant First Class

Default Studying

It has been a thousand years since I had to study for anything so I wont be a good source for tips on that. However the length of time it takes for you to ship ourt varies. Your ship date is based on openings for the BCT and Ait of your MOS. I enlisted on Oct 23 1983 and was at Ft. Knox Kentucky on Nov 15th 1983. I fyou are in a hurry, let the MEPS guy know and he will slot you in the next available.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:17 AM
First Lieutenant

I second the flashcards, they work phenominally! Also, instead of studying in a block session, where you end up concentrating on staying focused more than stufdying. Try doing it in between things...for example, I did a lot of studying at work (shhh don't tell them I was slacking for a good cause)..but basically i would take 30 seconds between each of my tasks to shuffle through the flashcards I made. Took me like 2 or 3 days of this and I know the rank structure, alphabet, army values, basic land nav stuff, and im currently working on the creed.

Oh and Strawberry is right....eat a good breakfast and don't study right before the test.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:07 PM
Brigadier General

I wouldn't put any stock in pills. Not that I don't believe they work but they're probably nothing more than some sort of pill that keeps you alert like caffeine or ginseng. I could be wrong as I've never heard of it.

The last thing I heard was that chewing gum was a method of temporarily increasing your IQ. Something about the chewing process increasing the blood supply to the brain. Makes sense I guess.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:19 PM
First Lieutenant

The drug he is refering to is Aderall.

Quote:
Adderall is a central nervous system stimulant. It affects chemicals in the brain and nerves that contribute to hyperactivity and impulse control.
Adderall is used to treat narcolepsy and [URL="http://www.army.com/forum/#"]attention deficit hyperactivity disorder[/URL] (ADHD).
Adderall may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.

Source: [URL="http://www.drugs.com/adderall.html"]http://www.drugs.com/adderall.html[/URL]
Personally, I wouldn't recommend it. Your brain is a very delicate instrument. I don't think forcing a change in function is something that will do you any good.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:41 PM
Private

Thanks everyone who replied. I won't be taking no pills to help me study, but I will eat a good meal and wait an hour before studying and pop some chewing gum in my mouth when I do study. I am going to give the flash cards a thought and figure out how I am going to do that with what I struggle in. I guess I can refresh my multipulcation and use the flash cards and some how incorperate fractions and +/-///x/ and all that into the flash cards. Thanks allot for so much help.. Yall are great.

My only fear is not passing and having to wait a whole month to retake the test.. Im trying to stay positive because If one person can pass the asvab and get it. Im damn certain I can do it. I mean why shouldn't I be able to? If I want to do something, I got to set my mind to it and do it. Right? I can pass.... I know I can pass... I can pass... I can pass.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:29 PM
First Lieutenant

Don't even worry about it WJon. I saw some people at MEPS taking the ASVAB that could barely spell their own names and they passed. You'll do fine.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:35 PM
Colonel

Send a message via AIM to SniperAlpha1 Send a message via MSN to SniperAlpha1

Don't use Adderal. It's an amphetamine which can't do any good for your body. Plus, chances are it would come up in the drug screen. You'd have to explain why amphetamines are in your system without a prescription.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:41 PM
Private

Thanks!! I will try