armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Reserves
User Name
Password

Old 02-03-2009, 12:20 PM
Recruit

Default Reserve CID/Surveillance MOS?

First off, if someone thinks this post might be served better in a different section, please let me know.

Okay, I work with a university's police department which enables me to pursue my masters for virtually nothing and my desire is to join some type of military reserve unit for the duration of my schooling.

I wish to join the Army in some facet although I haven't been able to find an entry level reserve position that really excites me. At first I was interested in the Common Ground Surveillance Systems Operator (MOS 96R) but it appears that this MOS has been discontinued, much to my dismay.

I then became interested in the Army CID position but had that dream ripped away once I found out that 2 years prior service was absolutely mandatory.

My ultimate goal is to join the FBI but as I said, while I am working as university popo and pursuing my masters degree for the next two some odd years, I would really like to do something in the mean time, other than my full time job, that would really enhance my resume and make me much more competitive once I'm done with school and ready to apply with the bue. Hence the idea of joining the reserves in some fashion.

So my questions are, is there any chance that the Army CID prior service requirement could be waived, any chance at all?

Does anyone have any information on the old 96R MOS? Has the position simply been cut out or was its duties simply combined with another MOS?

Anyone have any suggestions as far as options regarding a criminal investigation/surveillance MOS/position that can be done part-time as with the reserves? Keeping in mind that it must be entry-level and something other than MP as I am already aware of that option and am considering it. Oh and preferably something more impressive than a P.I. as I am also considering that option.

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:40 PM
Brigadier General

I can possibly help you a little bit. You're correct 96R is discontinued. I have no information that it's been combined with another MOS or had its designation changed.

Getting any kind of job in the Reserves is dependant on which MOSs are used in that Reserve unit. You could also try the Army National Guard to see which MOSs they have a need for.

If you went in as an MP after 32 years you could ask to be reclassified to CID.

Good luck.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:29 PM
Recruit

Thanks for the reply and yeah, that is what I am trying to decide on for the most part, what MOS I would be interested in, enough so that it would give me the push I need to join.

I am hoping you meant to type that I could be reclassified to CID in 3 to 2 years, not 32 years. That would be terrible, lol.

Anyways, I am aware of the MP to CID option but as I posted, I am really only looking for entry level MOS'. Get in and get out. I know many would laugh at that but I am only half serious, what I really mean by that is that I am not looking to spend the next two years working in order to qualify for a position that would then later render valuable experience, instead I am looking to get valuable experience starting NOW and lasting for the next two years on. If that makes sense.

In other words my Military goals really do not span more than 2 years. That isn't to say that I won't serve more than two years but it is to say that once I am done with my master's education, I plan on going federal and anything military after that would be solely for the purpose of serving my country and have little to nothing to do with working my way up through the ranks, military-wise.

And since I have no prior military experience, my only options seem to be entry level MOS' such as the MP, or something in MI. I am just not sure that any of those interest me enough to make such a big commitment but I am researching as I really do desire to serve.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:55 AM
Brigadier General

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
Thanks for the reply and yeah, that is what I am trying to decide on for the most part, what MOS I would be interested in, enough so that it would give me the push I need to join.

I am hoping you meant to type that I could be reclassified to CID in 3 to 2 years, not 32 years. That would be terrible, lol.

Anyways, I am aware of the MP to CID option but as I posted, I am really only looking for entry level MOS'. Get in and get out. I know many would laugh at that but I am only half serious, what I really mean by that is that I am not looking to spend the next two years working in order to qualify for a position that would then later render valuable experience, instead I am looking to get valuable experience starting NOW and lasting for the next two years on. If that makes sense.

In other words my Military goals really do not span more than 2 years. That isn't to say that I won't serve more than two years but it is to say that once I am done with my master's education, I plan on going federal and anything military after that would be solely for the purpose of serving my country and have little to nothing to do with working my way up through the ranks, military-wise.

And since I have no prior military experience, my only options seem to be entry level MOS' such as the MP, or something in MI. I am just not sure that any of those interest me enough to make such a big commitment but I am researching as I really do desire to serve.
Yes, my 10 thumbs typed 32 in error. You'll have to serve in MPs for the length of time required to reclass. Sorry, but what the heck, serve 32 years & retire! If I could make it to 27 you should be able to go 32!

Figure that the Army's police department is like civilian. A police officer has to serve a certain amount of time as a street cop before he becomes a detective. It might be worth your while. If nothing else you won't have to worry about job security. No chance of being laid off. Of course with this new administration in Washington all bets are off.

To gain experience in the military it might be in your best interest to go Active Army. That's the only way to go in for 2 years. That's the shortest active duty time but that's 2 years plus your training time. You realize that all military enlistments hold an 8 year obligation, divide between Active Army & Reserve or solely Reserve. In the Active Army there is no requierment to join a Reserve or Guard unit for the rest of your enlistment. In that case you're placed in the Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) for the remainder of your 8 years & still subject to recall as an individual. If you're a drilling Reservist ina unit you don't get activated unless your unit gets activated.

My son was a Ranger & his training & combat experience as a Ranger has allowed him to be top on the list for Federal law enforcement jobs. He can forego education & Field Office time to get into the FBI's HRT. At this time he's pursuing a Criminal Justice degree, at least Associate's or as high as he can go as long as the government is paying for it & then has to decide if he wants to go to a civilian agency or FBI.

What is your Master's Degree going to be in? With a Bachelor's you can enter the Army as an E-4 SPC.
Retired MSG

Last edited by MSG Glenn; 02-07-2009 at 10:08 AM..

Old 02-08-2009, 04:26 PM
Recruit

Master's is in High Technology. The only problem with anything but reserves is I am trying to get my degree done as soon as possible plus I work at the university and they foot the bill. I know the Army would give a lot of money towards my education but I don't know if they would pay 100% of this highly specialized degree like my job does. Also, from what I understand, you have a greater chance of being deployed along with other types of things that would take me away from school thus delaying the time it will take to graduate....versus part-time reserves.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:04 PM
Brigadier General

Every one who joins the Army, Active Duty, Reserve or National Guard has a good chance of being deployed. If you're thinking of joining the Reserves in order to finish your education you'll have to re-think that scenario. Up to half of our deployed troops at any one time are Reservists or Guardsmen. That's their mission - to augment the Active Army in time of war.

There's a Reserve Center one mile from my house where I spent the last part of my career as an Active Army Advisor. During Desert Storm about half the units stationed there deployed. At this time an Army Combat Engineer unit there just came back from 15 months of active duty of which 12 months was on deployment to Iraq.

The WI Army National Guard, the 32nd Infantry Brigade Combat Team, is set for deployment, all 3300 of them. I think they're leaving in about two or three months.

In any of the Reserve Components of the Army when deployment orders come there are no deferments for students, key employees, parents, critical police or fire personnel or anything. Everyone goes.

Your best bet is to wait until you finish your Master's & then enlist if you don't want any possibility of interruptions.
Retired MSG