armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > General Military Discussions
User Name
Password

Old 03-10-2009, 11:44 PM
Private First Class

Default Update

Only have a few questions. I'm 22 and around 150 lbs. What would be a good running schedule that I can set myself to so that I know I'm doing all I need to do. I can do the 32 push ups in less then 30 seconds and I can do the 72 sit ups in around a minute so I know those two will be nothing for me given 2 minute intervals, I'm only afraid of my run times. I don't run as much as I should but I run hard when i do run and seem to have trouble doing 2 full miles in a good time. I'm hoping I can blow the push ups and sit ups out of the water so I wont need as high of a run time to pass. But what would be a good distance and time frame to run it in to insure myself to be able to run 2 miles in a good army fashion. hopefully I'll get my waiver approval soon so I can get my MOS set in paper and get gone.

I'm sure we'll be running quite a bit more then 2 miles some times so i figure maybe i need to work on some long distance running for sure.

I'm back and forth between Combat documentation or a trade skill like construction or electrician.

I just celebrated my wife's b-day so nothing holding me back. i just want to make absolute sure my body is going to preform how I need it to without giving myself a bad case of stress fractures LOL.

Take care and thanks in advance!
YoungOne

Last edited by YoungOne; 05-03-2009 at 04:36 PM..

Old 03-11-2009, 04:36 AM
Corporal

Send a message via AIM to CaMike140 Send a message via MSN to CaMike140 Send a message via Yahoo to CaMike140
Default ...

Well, as a 22 year old your minimum passin time for the 2-mile run is 16 minutes and 36 seconds. My advice to you for passing the run is to always practice doing sit-ups before you go running (your hip-flexors act completely different if you don't) and run a minimum of 3 or 4 miles as often as possible. This will help your body feel like the 2 miles are nothing. I also advise that when you run, you do it for as long as you can, as fast as you can. I would also mix some sprinting into the workouts as that will help with your stamina and speed. Good luck with your waivers! Even if they don't go through, a workout program will help to keep your body in shape and make it easier for your body to work with less strain on your heart throughout the day...

Old 03-11-2009, 03:50 PM
Private First Class

Thanks for the advise. Very good ideas. Would around a month be a sufficient time length to be able to build up to 4 miles from 2 miles in good time and not have to worry of pushing myself to hard in a short amount of time? I've already been waiting for a little but my heart waiver came back a lot faster then they expected so were hoping for the same turn out.

I've been seeing some people saying they've waited 6 months for stuff. I sure hope not. Hopefully they wont get flooded with new people suddenly and take longer LOL.

It's getting really hot these days so thats really going to make me have to dedicate myself that much more to getting out there and sticking to it. I want to make it as easy on myself as possible hahah.

Thanks for everything and I'll get updates on my progress and see if it sounds up to par.

Take care.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:49 PM
Private First Class

Workout Routine Update= 100 push ups, 500 sit up/crunch variations in a 30 minute time span. I'll start my full running schedule up and try to get a 2 mile time in and see how it looks.

I'm gonna try to start advancing up to the 3 miles and from there to 4. Gotta keep driving harder.

Take care.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:08 AM
Corporal

Send a message via AIM to CaMike140 Send a message via MSN to CaMike140 Send a message via Yahoo to CaMike140
Default ...

Looks like the fitness program is well underway, Just remember that your brain will always tell your body that you can't go anymore before your body is spent as a way of keeping your muscles from straining themselves alot. You can still push on after you feel that you have reached your muscle failure. Don't be afraid to drive on when you feel weak as that can often be the most progress your muscles will make during a workout. Also remember to stay hydrated and maintain a good sleep cycle and diet! Take care and good luck!!!

Old 03-15-2009, 05:43 PM
Private First Class

CaMike, your advice to do my sit ups before I run turned out to be fantastic advice. I did around 50 sit ups to warm up and did my stretches. It was raining but I went out anyway and even with the bad weather I ran very smoothly. My stomach dosen't have that "cramping" sensation it used to so I know I'm making decent progress. It was probably one of the easiest runs I've done thus far and I never thought a few sit ups can really make that much difference.

But anyway thanks for the Ace advice!

Much appreciated.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:58 PM
Sergeant First Class

Another good way to get your body into shape mind and spirit is to start running at about 0630 in the morning at basic ait and when you get to your unit you start pt at this time get yourself up early eat a light breakfast and stretch yourself out and start running

Old 03-17-2009, 03:50 PM
Corporal

Default ...

No problem YoungOne... It sounds like you've been making some good progress. Keep workin hard and by the time you are ready to go you will be way ahead of the others that you are going with. Just try to stay humble then! hahaha...

Old 03-18-2009, 04:25 PM
Private

Im 23 and im trying to get ready for boot, my pushups is where im hurting right now and running, im starting my running exercise tonight and I found that treadmills suck for running, I just get too bored and focused on running and I tire myself out quick granted I am at 235 and 6'0, I just gotta get back in the groove of things anyways, but so far im training everyday and going strong so far, getting a little better day by day