armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Army.com General Discussions > Current Events
User Name
Password

Old 05-16-2009, 08:28 PM
Sergeant

Send a message via AIM to lilyOhio
Default mental health in the military

i have been reading a lot about mental health in the military lately and as i am planing on enlisting this kind of concerns me. i know it is not a new thing, and has just been brought to the public's attention because of the shooting of the soldiers at camp liberty in iraq(odd how that works...) , but it has me thinking.

here is a recent article i just read: [url]http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30782778//[/url]

it mentions that mental issues have become a serious problem with soldiers facing multiple deployments. now, this is where i am a little confused, and it may be because i'm fairly new to the military and am still an outsider, but wouldn't you want to increase the number of troops being trained and have a larger military so soldiers can have more r&r between deployments, and even fewer deployments? i have been reading on this site that the military is tightening its requirements because there are too many soldiers enlisting. somehow this doesn't make sense to me. i understand this is a complex problem with no easy solution, but i think more can be done.

any thoughts?

Old 05-17-2009, 07:43 AM
General of the Armies

Mental Health is always a concerning issue for Professional Soldiers.... The macho based culture of the military can be an issue for exasibating mental illness especially PTSD, but the tree hugging culture of shrinks does not help either.. Military Shrinks who are worth anything as doctors adjust to the realities of military life and are near magical in their approach to Patient diagnosis and care. However, Its a developing craft and all soldiers dont get the same care. That said, whilst my old Battalion had a great shrink covering us (no recorded suicides whilst I was there), those in need got treated, but they were the very few. Its often a neurotic little sissie crying wolf that creates the issue as they label a stereotype of "crybaby" for going shrink sick, and the real guys in trouble are afraid to come forward. There is allot of work to be done, but from my chair Stereotypical neurotic sizzies getting all shrink sick is the first thing that the shrinks need to knock on the head, and get the real cases through to them for treatment.

A mate of mine was talking about stress after his last deployment, and laughed as the shrink who was poking around afterwards... He made a good point about managing stress by saying "its amazing what a good bottle of whisky and a couple of mates from the Platoon can do over an evening, best counselling session a soldier can get"... That my friend is what "espirit de corps" is all about!!.....

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"

Old 05-22-2009, 08:33 AM
Sergeant

Send a message via AIM to lilyOhio

its always the few that ruin it for the rest of us. i think all this news about mental illness and psychological problems in the military is why my parents are really skeptical about me joining. i keep telling them i have a good head on my shoulder and i am prepared to deal with whatever comes my way. i know its not all going to be pretty or fun and games. i think they forget that i went to school for photojournalism. photographers often witness some pretty ugly things, overseas and in the states. i know several professional photographers that are pretty messed up after seeing their fair share of dead bodies and other things like fires, car wrecks, etc. a friend of mine got an internship in flint and quit the profession because of the stuff he saw and had to photograph. hell, as a photographer i might have seen more combat situations than some of the MOS's do.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:01 PM
General of the Armies

LilyOhio, training will greatly prepare you for the nastys of war, it wont fully prepare you, but you will be better kitted out then your photographer friends.. does that mean you wont suffer stress, absolutely not, but its how you deal with it that counts, and thats where your training kicks in, it taints your view on the world and when it comes to combat, that is a very good thing... Dont worry, you will be tested but do fine...

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"