armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Army.com General Discussions > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password

Old 05-24-2009, 11:19 AM
Recruit

Default We know how u feel!

Our Son just left for Afganistan, and we are just having to wait for an address. He left a few months ago for Training and then was to be shipped out to Afganistan. They would not give a Date. We think he is there now because we received a call from his cell at 3AM this morning but we did not hear it. His troop was allowed their cells. But he said it cost alot to use overseas and only certain times they can be used. He never calls his dad after 9 pm so we know something is up.

Please be strong Proudparent, there are alot of us out here Praying with you and for you!

Old 05-24-2009, 03:43 PM
General of the Armies

Being a parent of a young man or women serving is stressful... I know my mother had allot of worries, but what I said to her over 15 years ago was that I would be alright, and as Im trained by the best, there is less chance of anything bad happening to me..... my point is trust in their professionalism and training, it along with their brother soldiers will bring them home every time...

Exo..

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"

Old 05-25-2009, 12:28 AM
Private

Congratulations on your son's decision. I know how you are feeling. I'm so proud of my kids, but its still hard.

The 'rules' seem to really vary as far as bases, training, and DSs.

I'm pretty new at this too and I'm certainly no expert, but these are just a few tips I've picked up so far...

use the call forwarding to your cell, because you won't want to miss a call

reception can be longer than expected if they get 'backed up', and it's no fun. It seems to be the time they question themselves. Stay encouraging and 'tough love'

don't write to their address at reception, wait until they are at their unit and give you an address

Start writing letters as soon as they leave so you can mail them when you get that address. But don't send too many at once, maybe several in an envelope. And always date them as there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to delivery.

don't send anything unless it's been requested My son is not allowed anything but letters, especially not food; my 'future son' is allowed a shoebox a week but has to eat all food items within 5 minutes

You won't neccessarily get a call as soon as he arrives. It may be that weekend, or not until he goes to his training unit.

He can take his cell. It will get locked up there. He may or may not get to use it occassionally. My son was able to call between flights and while waiting for the bus to Benning. His calls since have been from payphones except Mother's Day when it was his cell.

I'm sure I'll think of more as soon as I hit reply.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:19 AM
First Lieutenant

my boyfriend got to use his cell phone every sunday..then closer to the end he got it pretty much the whole weekend. but not till acouple weeks into training..so just stay strong and you'll do great, you and your son both. just keep your heads up and his training will be over soon goodluck!

Old 05-25-2009, 05:19 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyOhio View Post
cell phones? really? how does that work? i was wondering about that actually
When my son was in 3rd Ranger Batt he could use his cell phone any time he wanted to, especially when he was off duty. He lived off-post in a rental with a few other Rangers & they didn't even have a regular land-line phone there.

When he was deployed he had limited access to his unit's Sat Phone & they also had computers that were sufficient for e mailing. He'd normally call from Iraq or 'Stan at least once a week +/- times they went on missions, normally our daytime hours.

Back in my early days in the Navy if you didn't have a pen or a piece of paper or a stamp you were incommunicado.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.