armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Enlistment Information
User Name
Password

Old 06-16-2008, 07:56 PM
Recruit

Default Waivers possible?

Here's the short version. I enlisted in Air Force right out of High School. I was just a dumb punk kid. I screwed up royally. While in active duty I had a civilian attempted robbery charge reduced to assault, and did time in civilian prison. I then, prior to discharge, got a stealing charge in the Air Force and did more time in military prison. After I was finally discharged with RE code of 2M, I ended up getting another stealing and unlawful entry charge and did more time in civilian prison. I finally woke up, did my probation time, and have kept my nose clean for over 14 years. I have regretted my actions since I finally woke up and when I was tiold there was a possibility of returning to military service, I jumped on it. I have had a waiver pending, with many various set backs, since the middle of February. Now I'm being told it's almost done, but it is on hold due to a USAREC change of command. Does anyone know if I actually have a chance of getting approved? Or is this just a pipe dream and I'm getting my chain pulled? Reason I'm asking is because I've been told by everyone it won't happen, except the waiver guy. He seems to be very sure the waiver will be approved after the change of command. Any thoughts on this?

Last edited by rednek; 06-16-2008 at 08:47 PM..

Old 06-17-2008, 07:04 AM
Brigadier General

Waivers are possible that weren't even considered a year or two ago. I doubt very much that your recruiter would even put in the paperwork for a waiver if he didn't think it was possible. Recruiters don't have the time to "pull your chain" when they know it won't result in an enlistment.

Good luck, Keep us up to date.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:25 AM
Brigadier General

Send a message via AIM to Nightflyer

Rednek-
Kids make stupid mistakes.You sound sincere.Their giving out waivers today for just about everything except for Class A falonies,of the serious nature.As long as no one got hurt / no weapons involved.It's true when they say. If only I knew then.. what I know now! isn't it?..Everyone deserves a second chance (within- reason)My friend, Staff Sergeant Gee, is a US Army Recruiter working at a US Army Recruiting Station close by to my unit.The stories, we've been hearing lately are crazy. Go for it. It's a new beginning.

Good Luck....

Spc. ~ Nightflyer ~ Spec 4 Mafia
Army Air Assault.
Black berets forever.
U S A

Classic. And we get it.

Posted by... Nightflyer..Go get me a beer....
Posted by Zekos....get me one too b.itch Posted by... Exo1.Haha!!... good man!!.... .........yeah!!.... while your out there get me one too.....Posted by... SniperALpha1Corona with lime is the way to go. CAUSE THAT'S AMERICA *****!Posted by...Zidane Whiskey pl0x.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:32 PM
Recruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG Glenn View Post
Waivers are possible that weren't even considered a year or two ago. I doubt very much that your recruiter would even put in the paperwork for a waiver if he didn't think it was possible. Recruiters don't have the time to "pull your chain" when they know it won't result in an enlistment.

Good luck, Keep us up to date.

Thing is, the recruiter doesn't think it's going thru. I gave you the short story on my reason for needing a waiver, but here's the long story on the process to date:

I had shoulder surgery on 16Feb2007. I was told it best to wait a year before starting the enlistment process.
17Feb2008 I met w/ the recruiter. He stated he doubted that the waiver would get approved but that he would do the work needed because it is his job.
01Mar2008 I turned in all requested documents, including statement of discharge, enlistment application, medical records, statement of prior convictions, birth certificates, marriage license, divorce decree, etc.
03Apr2008 Went to MEPS for physical. Passed physical and got medical clearance
18Apr2008 Recruiter finally got police checks returned and started waiver packet
30Apr2008 Met w/ Battalion Commander. He informed me he would do memo requesting exemption, but it probably wouldn't go through. He suggested I apply for employment with a civilian company hiring truck drivers for work in Iraq.
02May2008 Recruiter hadn't done anything on waiver packet, so waiver's analyst(my friend) had me pickup documents from recruiter so he(friend) could scan it in and get it together. When picked up papers from recruiter, found out he had lost my statement of discharge, statement of prior convictions, and my enlistment application.
05May2008 Gave new statements and applications to friend
09May2008 Waiver submitted
19May2008 Waiver returned w/o action. More discharge records requested.
29May2008 Requested documents received from Archives
30May2008 Waiver resubmitted
06Jun2008 I am told all waivers are on hold due to pending change of commanding General. I was told the change of command will be on 21Jun2008, and that the waiver will be approved within 2 weeks afterwards.

At this time, my friend told me I had a 100% chance of getting approved. But yet, he also told me not to say anything to my employer because he didn't want me to risk losing my job. What makes me doubt all this, is that the Recruiter, and the Battalion Commander have told me it probably won't happen. But my friend says it will. As I mentioned before, I have known him for over 6 years. I also know that he makes promises he can't keep, and has a hard time admitting when he is wrong. I know the recruiter won't string me along, but my friend very well might just to prolong having to admit he was wrong about something.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:41 PM
Private

Exclamation waivers suck!

HI i am in the same boat i got a burg charge in ca, 5 years back and it is a wobeler felony witch means it could be a felony or a mistormeaner the guard wont evean prosses my waiver
i mean the (ecm) says that thay are not evean alowing waiver right now