armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Enlistment Information
User Name
Password

Old 06-20-2008, 09:21 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG Glenn View Post
When I was doing Rifle Marksmanship at recruit training & ROTC the ones who turned out to be good shots had never fired a weapon before. The other category were people who had undergone a good civilian program like my state's hunter safety certification or young people trained by soldiers who knew what they were doing.

Oddly enough the few times I taught female soldiers I found that many were natural shots. Maybe because they weren't carrying any macho attitudes.
Id never even held an automatic weapon before i joined....the army will get you up to the standard required...its easier in the US because in some states guns are easy to get your hands on...where as here guns are ilegal full stop.....going down the ranges would have its benifits .....but its not a must....as i said the Army will get him up to standard

Old 06-20-2008, 08:14 PM
Staff Sergeant

Yeah, I think I will wait for the Army to teach me. Not enough hours in a day for me to get into that. I need to spend more time in the gym.

Day 32

Rucked for 10 miles with 65-70 lbs. I rucked around Lake Zorinsky 1.5 times (7 miles around). Took three 5 minute breaks. I only planned two but I had to use a third because my new boots gave me hot spots 4 miles into it. I thought I changed into my tennis shoes quick enough but....nope. Got two small blisters, one on each heel. Shoulders feel like mince meat from the straps. Traps are bruised and I actually rubbed off a few layers of skin on my right side from the strap. Not enough to bleed, but it will scab over. I need a resolution for that problem so that doesn't happen again. My spine is bruised also just above my waistline. My 25 lb plate wasn't situated right, so I think thats what was hard on my spine. I think it started from rucking 2 days in a row early this week. So I moved all the weight to the top, and tightened my straps and it made a better difference. I can't wait to get a rucksack. It has to be better than my school backpack, which I am counting on tearing any day now from the weight (which I'm on my 2nd backpack already). It was a good day. It felt really good getting a long hike in. I like progress.

My next goal is 14 miles, maybe towards the end of next week.

"Too many go in and don't make it, don't be one of them." --Tacky

Last edited by HumbleOne; 06-20-2008 at 08:23 PM..

Old 06-20-2008, 10:12 PM
Brigadier General

Send a message via AIM to Nightflyer
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrj1000 View Post
Id never even held an automatic weapon before i joined....the army will get you up to the standard required...its easier in the US because in some states guns are easy to get your hands on...where as here guns are ilegal full stop.....going down the ranges would have its benifits .....but its not a must....as i said the Army will get him up to standard
I don't belive any of us held any semi-or-fully automatic shoulder-fired weapons until basic combat training.I didn't. However, It can't hurt to understand and learn the weapon you'll be using in bct and the difference between the various weapons you may be using down the road and throughout your career....The M16A1 /M16A2 Rifle and the M4/ M4A1 Carbines/ M4-MWS..I think it's good to learn and read up on it in free time. Lets face it..Having a real good understanding of what your training with could only be an asset in your training and the field..It's like practising with the same car that you'll use to take your driving license test with....
U S A

Classic. And we get it.

Posted by... Nightflyer..Go get me a beer....
Posted by Zekos....get me one too b.itch Posted by... Exo1.Haha!!... good man!!.... .........yeah!!.... while your out there get me one too.....Posted by... SniperALpha1Corona with lime is the way to go. CAUSE THAT'S AMERICA *****!Posted by...Zidane Whiskey pl0x.

Old 06-21-2008, 07:29 AM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightflyer View Post
I don't belive any of us held any semi-or-fully automatic shoulder-fired weapons until basic combat training.I didn't. However, It can't hurt to understand and learn the weapon you'll be using in bct and the difference between the various weapons you may be using down the road and throughout your career....The M16A1 /M16A2 Rifle and the M4/ M4A1 Carbines/ M4-MWS..I think it's good to learn and read up on it in free time. Lets face it..Having a real good understanding of what your training with could only be an asset in your training and the field..It's like practising with the same car that you'll use to take your driving license test with....
Im with jrj on this one buddy, weapons handling is almost everytime done wrong if you are not trained by a military grade instructor... Humbe is making the right call, let the Army instructors pass ontheir expertise in weapons handling.. it will make a real difference... I have being trained in a few ARs, SMG and few GPMG Grade Machine Guns and I feel confident in handling all types of ARs... the principles of marksmanship and AR handling in an operation situation are pritty much the same, but if you dont get the right training and develop the right habits from the getgo, its a much harder route to keep up.. thats my 2c on it anyway...

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"

Old 06-21-2008, 07:52 AM
Brigadier General

Send a message via AIM to Nightflyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo1 View Post
Im with jrj on this one buddy, weapons handling is almost everytime done wrong if you are not trained by a military grade instructor... Humbe is making the right call, let the Army instructors pass ontheir expertise in weapons handling.. it will make a real difference... I have being trained in a few ARs, SMG and few GPMG Grade Machine Guns and I feel confident in handling all types of ARs... the principles of marksmanship and AR handling in an operation situation are pritty much the same, but if you dont get the right training and develop the right habits from the getgo, its a much harder route to keep up.. thats my 2c on it anyway...
You misunderstand..I meant only reading up on the material..I didn't learn anything until bct..Lol. Im good but not that good..I knew about the weapons but I never owned a gun in my life till after bct and beyond.

I never knew anyone who practise shooting AR-15 ect..until after bct.Lol..

~ Nightflyer ~
U S A

Classic. And we get it.

Posted by... Nightflyer..Go get me a beer....
Posted by Zekos....get me one too b.itch Posted by... Exo1.Haha!!... good man!!.... .........yeah!!.... while your out there get me one too.....Posted by... SniperALpha1Corona with lime is the way to go. CAUSE THAT'S AMERICA *****!Posted by...Zidane Whiskey pl0x.

Old 06-21-2008, 02:27 PM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightflyer View Post
You misunderstand..I meant only reading up on the material..I didn't learn anything until bct..Lol. Im good but not that good..I knew about the weapons but I never owned a gun in my life till after bct and beyond.

I never knew anyone who practise shooting AR-15 ect..until after bct.Lol..

~ Nightflyer ~
Roger that brotherman!!....

Old 06-21-2008, 05:31 PM
Staff Sergeant

Day 32

Wow, I am sore today.....to say the least.

Chest and Tris
Dumbell press 3x15
incline bench press 3x10
Cable flys 3x15

Bentbar skull crushes superset with chest presses 3x10 each
Tricep pushdowns 3x15
Rope pushdowns 3x15

Pullups 3xfailure
decline situps 3xfailure
seated weighted crunches 3x25

30 day recap
I am pretty satisfied with my progress in the last 30 days. I think I am right where I should be. I am still on the 16 week schedule. That is still my goal despite probably not shipping out till beginning of next year.

RUCKING-- I wanted to hit a 10-12 miles ruck around the one month period and I did it with the 65-70 lbs. I am debating to continue to work on increasing to 80-90lbs as far as rucking for the next month or to work on my pace. I am leaning towards the weight because I think the pace will come naturally the more rucking I do. I already have noticed a difference. Plus it will be nice when I have boots that are broken in that actually fit.

RUNNING-- I feel really good about running. 2 miles in 13 minutes is not a problem. My hour runs feel good and I'm hitting around 7-8 miles. So this next month I will probably kick it up to 80 minutes per run. My lower back isn't even an issue anymore. Once I pass the 10-15 minute mark it's smooth sailing.

AFPT-- I will be hitting 100 pushups without rest in four weeks fairly easily. That is right on schedule. My weakness so far is situps. For the next four weeks I will be focusing on that area as it needs it. That will become easier as I lose weight, which I have been doing.

Old 06-21-2008, 05:46 PM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleOne View Post
Day 32

Wow, I am sore today.....to say the least.

Chest and Tris
Dumbell press 3x15
incline bench press 3x10
Cable flys 3x15

Bentbar skull crushes superset with chest presses 3x10 each
Tricep pushdowns 3x15
Rope pushdowns 3x15

Pullups 3xfailure
decline situps 3xfailure
seated weighted crunches 3x25

30 day recap
I am pretty satisfied with my progress in the last 30 days. I think I am right where I should be. I am still on the 16 week schedule. That is still my goal despite probably not shipping out till beginning of next year.

RUCKING-- I wanted to hit a 10-12 miles ruck around the one month period and I did it with the 65-70 lbs. I am debating to continue to work on increasing to 80-90lbs as far as rucking for the next month or to work on my pace. I am leaning towards the weight because I think the pace will come naturally the more rucking I do. I already have noticed a difference. Plus it will be nice when I have boots that are broken in that actually fit.

RUNNING-- I feel really good about running. 2 miles in 13 minutes is not a problem. My hour runs feel good and I'm hitting around 7-8 miles. So this next month I will probably kick it up to 80 minutes per run. My lower back isn't even an issue anymore. Once I pass the 10-15 minute mark it's smooth sailing.

AFPT-- I will be hitting 100 pushups without rest in four weeks fairly easily. That is right on schedule. My weakness so far is situps. For the next four weeks I will be focusing on that area as it needs it. That will become easier as I lose weight, which I have been doing.
Nice job bro.. remember, consistant repeating of the exercise (once you dont injure yourself) is the key to conditioning.. keep up the rythem and you will do well.....

Old 06-24-2008, 07:12 AM
Staff Sergeant

Thanks Exo.

Day 33-34

Had a lil bit of a setback. Got the stomach flu. Tried to stay hydrated as much as possible but I still feel dehydrated. Will continue to drink fluids today and do some running and see how it goes. It drove me crazy staying in for two days......I hated it. I feel like I'm back to square one all over again. I am goint to start taking Vit C supplements so this doesn't happen again.

Ordered a large alice pack and LC2 frame today. I should get it beginning of next week. Then the real s**t will start.

Last edited by HumbleOne; 06-24-2008 at 12:49 PM..

Old 06-24-2008, 04:21 PM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleOne View Post
Thanks Exo.

Day 33-34

Had a lil bit of a setback. Got the stomach flu. Tried to stay hydrated as much as possible but I still feel dehydrated. Will continue to drink fluids today and do some running and see how it goes. It drove me crazy staying in for two days......I hated it. I feel like I'm back to square one all over again. I am goint to start taking Vit C supplements so this doesn't happen again.

Ordered a large alice pack and LC2 frame today. I should get it beginning of next week. Then the real s**t will start.
Drink as much water as you can... once you get over it (not before), get back on the trail, your fitness will not suffer....