armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Enlistment Information
User Name
Password

Old 06-18-2008, 12:40 AM
Private

Default what MOS is the best

Hello, I am new to the site and hopefully can get some questions answered about enlisting and ROTC. I've always been interested in joining the army and I'm sick of living on Top Ramen as a college student. I'm going to enlist in the reserves and then get into the SMP program with ROTC when I get back from basic and AIT. First question is what MOS's are good? I want to finish basic & AIT in no more than 4 months(17 weeks) so I can come back to school. Can you recommend some good MOS's that can be done in that time? I know picking an MOS solely based on how long AIT lasts is pretty stupid, but I'll only have MOS duties when I drill, and my MOS won't matter when I commission. I have no experience so I don't know exactly how stupid that is and I guess that's my question. I'm thinking I can just gut out a crappy MOS since I would only have to deal with it for drill, but what do I know with no experience, am I wrong to think I can just gut it out? Any tips you can give me on what to watch when dealing with recruiters like them hiding something in my contract that was never discussed. Also the recruiter said almost all MOS's get a 20K bonus, but I've heard that you only get 10K if you decide to do the Simultaneous Membership Program with ROTC, so would I get 10K or 20K? Thanks for any info

Old 06-18-2008, 03:55 AM
Brigadier General

Send a message via AIM to Nightflyer

11 B..Infantry, is your best bet.It's going to be tough. My AIT was scheduled one year ahead of time. I still had to wait another five to eight weeks once I got there..Hurry up! and wait.It depends on class and slot space. You'll need a mos with OSUT..Infantry 13 weeks.

There's a program...Where you can do Bct in one summer and Ait the next..It's part of the split option programs the Army offers.Talk w/a recruiter. I would suggest staying in school.It's best way. After you graduate from college.You'll have alot more to offer.

Good Luck....

Spc. ~ Nightflyer ~ Spec 4 Mafia
Army Aviation. Air Assault.
Black berets forever.
U S A

Classic. And we get it.

Posted by... Nightflyer..Go get me a beer....
Posted by Zekos....get me one too b.itch Posted by... Exo1.Haha!!... good man!!.... .........yeah!!.... while your out there get me one too.....Posted by... SniperALpha1Corona with lime is the way to go. CAUSE THAT'S AMERICA *****!Posted by...Zidane Whiskey pl0x.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:26 AM
Brigadier General

I agree with 11B Infantry myself but then I'm biased. The 1st thing you'll have research is what MOSs are available at the Reserve unit you want to join. Give yourself the option of going into the National Guard, mostly combat arms, which means that you'll have to find out if the Guard has SMP programs. I know the Reserve does because I was an Active Army Advisor to the 84th Div. (TNG), USAR. Not sure about the guard. You also have to check on which enlisted MOS will enhance you career as an officer. There your Tac Officer or a counsellor can help I'm sure.

11B has an OSUT program where BCT & AIT are run back-to-back. You might be able to get it all in in one summer but if not you can always go split option. There again you'll have to make sure that it won't interfere with your ROTC annual training or if you can take the school in lieu of AT.

You've got some work ahead of you in all that research but that's what you have counsellors & recruiters for.

Now get busy & keep us updated on your progress while you're at it.

I think this is the 1st SMP question we've had at least in my memory so we'd like to know what transpires.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:45 PM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick91 View Post
Hello, I am new to the site and hopefully can get some questions answered about enlisting and ROTC. I've always been interested in joining the army and I'm sick of living on Top Ramen as a college student. I'm going to enlist in the reserves and then get into the SMP program with ROTC when I get back from basic and AIT. First question is what MOS's are good? I want to finish basic & AIT in no more than 4 months(17 weeks) so I can come back to school. Can you recommend some good MOS's that can be done in that time? I know picking an MOS solely based on how long AIT lasts is pretty stupid, but I'll only have MOS duties when I drill, and my MOS won't matter when I commission. I have no experience so I don't know exactly how stupid that is and I guess that's my question. I'm thinking I can just gut out a crappy MOS since I would only have to deal with it for drill, but what do I know with no experience, am I wrong to think I can just gut it out? Any tips you can give me on what to watch when dealing with recruiters like them hiding something in my contract that was never discussed. Also the recruiter said almost all MOS's get a 20K bonus, but I've heard that you only get 10K if you decide to do the Simultaneous Membership Program with ROTC, so would I get 10K or 20K? Thanks for any info

What interests you?.... you need to do research, look up sites like goarmy.com, military.com and this site... Google "US ARMY MOS" and see what hits you get.. Remember a good officer is a man of initiative.. so develop yours in researching the topic to see what interests you and then come back with questions... its hard at 17 to know what you want,but since you want the join the army, move forward as described above from there!!...

I googled "US ARMY OFFICER MOS" and the first hit I got had everything you need to know in it!!.. Took me 9 seconds to get to the page...
Exo...

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"

Old 06-19-2008, 04:06 AM
Private

I want a Ranger Tab. I'm NOT joining to push around a desk, if I wanted that I'd just finish college. I want to be in the field. Originally I wanted to go 68W combat medic, but AIT is 22weeks which did not allow for getting back into school quickly, but the more I think about that the less I care about getting back to school as soon as possible. 11B is one that definitely caught my eye, 19D is another. I'm guessing that just getting into Ranger School isn't easy, so would any type of MOS help me with that or does it not really matter?

Old 06-19-2008, 07:49 AM
Brigadier General

Getting into Ranger School is more than likely a reenlistment option. Those that go are NCOs or officers. The officers normally go right from Infantry Officer Basic as 2LTs. Enlisted are more than likely on their 2nd enlistment. So it might be in your best interest to stay in school & go to OCS for a commission. Many 2LTs go to RS right after OCS.

My son entered the 75th Ranger Regt. via Infantry OSUT, Airborne School,and Ranger Indoc.(RIP). When he was promotable to E4 he was sent to pre-Ranger & then Ranger School. In the 75th the Tab is necessary for any leadership positions. For instance a SPC without the tab wears PFC stripes.

The way to go my son's route is to get an 11X/Airborne/Option 40 contract. You can also get the contract with other MOSs, mainly 13F & 68W but Infantry is the fastest way to get the contract because most Rangers are 11B.

I don't recommend the option 40 unless you are in A-one shape. Not just able to pass the APFT but to max it & exceed the requirements. Contracts are hard to get because the 75th Ranger Regt. only has three battalions plus Regiment plus a special Batt. Not exactly a huge organization.

If that's the route you want to take then start preparing yourself NOW. Get the longest DEP you can. Work out every day. Be able to run 5 or 6 miles. Be able to carry a 35lb minimum ruck for 12 miles in combat boots. Be able to swim a minimum of 15 meters fully clothed, with boots & weapon. Be able to crank out pushups, situps & pullups way beyond the Army standard.

Don't rely on Basic and AIT/OSUT & Airborne School to get yourself in shape. Their PT is a joke to a Ranger. You'll have to do extra PT on your own time while in these schools just to maintain what you have.

Any qualms? Misgivings? Think you might wash out & get dropped? Attitude is 90% after the physical. If you have doubts please don't waste an Option 40 contract. There are things other than the Rangers for you to do that are just as important.
Retired MSG

Last edited by MSG Glenn; 06-19-2008 at 05:06 PM..

Old 06-19-2008, 09:09 AM
Colonel

Send a message via AIM to SniperAlpha1 Send a message via MSN to SniperAlpha1

When I talked to an Army Recruiter, I was told that the 11B MOS was not available in the reserves.

That was why I was looking into a 37F.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:36 PM
Brigadier General

That shows what they know. My son recently got off of active duty from the 3rd Ranger Batt. His MOS is 11B & he had a hard time getting an E5 slot in the WI Army National Guard which is an Infantry Bde. The closest slot was a distance away from our home so his recruiter checked & found a slot in the 1/334, a Reserve Reception Bn. as an 11B E5 instructor.

I was an Active Army Advisor to the Reserve & we had a lot of 11B, about half of the 7th Bde. Instructors, Drill Sgts., & our own Drill Sgt. school. Keeping those 11B trained in their MOS was a challenge as they had time for very few FTXs. Their main mission was recruit & ROTC training. There were also 19 series , 68 series & 13 series MOSs in the Division. Mind you this was a Training Div. so if you're talking about any others all bets are off.
Retired MSG

Last edited by MSG Glenn; 06-19-2008 at 01:42 PM..

Old 06-19-2008, 03:36 PM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick91 View Post
I want a Ranger Tab. I'm NOT joining to push around a desk, if I wanted that I'd just finish college. I want to be in the field. Originally I wanted to go 68W combat medic, but AIT is 22weeks which did not allow for getting back into school quickly, but the more I think about that the less I care about getting back to school as soon as possible. 11B is one that definitely caught my eye, 19D is another. I'm guessing that just getting into Ranger School isn't easy, so would any type of MOS help me with that or does it not really matter?
You would want to be one serious soldier to hit for it... Glenn and Nightflyer give good advice.. 11b is the way to go..

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"

Old 06-20-2008, 01:11 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG Glenn View Post
That shows what they know. My son recently got off of active duty from the 3rd Ranger Batt. His MOS is 11B & he had a hard time getting an E5 slot in the WI Army National Guard which is an Infantry Bde. The closest slot was a distance away from our home so his recruiter checked & found a slot in the 1/334, a Reserve Reception Bn. as an 11B E5 instructor.

I was an Active Army Advisor to the Reserve & we had a lot of 11B, about half of the 7th Bde. Instructors, Drill Sgts., & our own Drill Sgt. school. Keeping those 11B trained in their MOS was a challenge as they had time for very few FTXs. Their main mission was recruit & ROTC training. There were also 19 series , 68 series & 13 series MOSs in the Division. Mind you this was a Training Div. so if you're talking about any others all bets are off.
That's not an 11B line slot, however .. it's a Reception Bn.

Reserves isn't the place to go if you want to actually do the work of an 11B.