armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Enlistment Information
User Name
Password

Old 05-26-2009, 06:45 PM
Recruit

Default About to Graduate College and want to enlist...

Want to enlist after college. What are the minimum years? What should I enlist in.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:31 AM
Brigadier General

Be advised that as a college graduate you can enlist at an advanced rank, SPC, E-4. You can also enlist as MOS 09S which will put you in basic traininbg & then OCS right after that to get a commission. Once you're commissioned the Army chooses your job for you in most cases. As enlisted you get to choose.

Depending on what you enlist for the enlistments are 2, 3, 4, 6 years. The 2 years starts after BCT & AIT so it's actually a bit longer than 2 years. I've even heard of some 5 year enlistments. Most go for 3 or 4 with 4 probably giving you more options. Sometimes if an enlistment comes witha bonus it could be a little longer. My son enlisted over 5 years ago with an Infantry/Airborne/Ranger contract with a bonus & his enlistment was for 4 years & 16 weeks.

MOSs are totally up to you. Would you like to be in Combat Arms, Construction, Technical, Admin, Medical, etc, etc. ? Where are your interests? Just because you might be a scholar & an egghead doesn't mean that you won't like Infantry. The Army trains you for the MOS that you choose. No experience required.

MSG Glenn
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:35 AM
Recruit

I suggest trying to get into the Officer field if offered. But as far as a career choice, think about what jobs in the civilian world pay good when you get out, which one would you like to do for the next XX years? Medical field is always a good field, physical therapist works at/near hospitals and always in the a/c! X-ray machine Technicians pay excellent as a civilian also. IT field if you like computers, you can work towards getting your MOUS certification. Aviation if you like helicopters or even the weapons systems they use. One last thing, my choice is helicopters because atleast they dont march to the field like the infantry! There are many choices and the length of service depends on what job you choose.
Good luck!