armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Help and Assistance
User Name
Password

Old 06-21-2008, 08:29 PM
Private

Question ROTC scholarship

I have been seriously considering an Army ROTC 4-year scholarship. One of their requirements for eligibilty is "Be a high school graduate or possess an equivalent certificate." I am going into my senior year of homeschooling and when I graduate I will have no certificate to show, nor any records of my grades throughout highschool. Is this something that can be worked out or do they need academic records? I would hate for this to be the only reason I can't apply.

ALSO, for those of you who have ROTC scholarships, any heads up or advice? I'd love to see how it's treating you.

Last edited by jamie.lei; 06-22-2008 at 09:01 PM..

Old 07-03-2008, 10:23 PM
First Lieutenant

Send a message via AIM to scconwill
Smile

Alright man I can tell you alot on this due to I am one of many Army ROTC Scholarship recipients. The first thing I want to do is give you my thanks and respect for even considering the military. The vary first thing you need to do is figure out what school you are going to and if they have a Military Science Department. After you do that you need to schedule a meeting with the officer or NCO over the recruitment of the program. Now you do understand that this scholarship is awarded on a competitive basis. The basic requirements for it is 19 on the ACT beable to pass a physical and a APFT with a score of 180 ie barely passing. Now since this is awarded on a competitive basis you need to have a 25 on your ACT and about a 230 on your APFT. Now I can't really give you much on problem you have. You will need to contact a Military Science Department. If you have any other questions pleas ask and I will try and help to the best of my ability.

God Speed
HOOAH!!!!

Old 07-04-2008, 10:42 PM
Private

Thanks for the advice, it's good to see an rotc cadet in here. Yeah, I knew that they were given competitively but I get more worried about that every day. I do well, actually really well, with the school curriculum i use (averaging A and A+) but when I go online and get tested by other school curriculums (practice tests for things like, SAT and a highschool diploma) I do poorly, actually really poorly. So yeah, I'm worried.
Have you finished your first year of rotc or are you going into your first year? Either way, do you have to go through BCT before?

Last edited by jamie.lei; 07-05-2008 at 01:12 PM..

Old 07-05-2008, 09:54 AM
First Lieutenant

I hate to tell you this but the scholarship is based on standardized test. The higher you score the better chance you have. I have the same problem you have I am a horrible standardized test taker. The only thing that I found to work for me was hiring a tutor and finding some self help book. This doesn't work for everybody keep this in mind. Now there are certain programs like the SMP program through the Army and The College First Program through the Army National Guard. In the SMP program you take BCT the summer before you go off to school, take a year of school, then go back next summer to take your AIT. I don't know a lot about this program but if you ask your local recruiter about it they will give you all the G2 that you need. I know noting about the CF program you would half to consult your local National Guard recruiter on that one. Here is the link to the Army's ROTC page [url]http://www.goarmy.com/rotc/index.jsp[/url].

I'm actually at school right now taking some basic math and English courses only about 12hr of class a week. They only hold ROTC classes for 9 months Fall/Winter. I will officially start my ROTC class on 20 August 2008. Even though we don't have classes right now I still do everything with the ROTC unit. Just last weekend we worked at the airshow in Huntsville, and yesterday we had a bbq. We also run PT everyday and go shooting every Friday. So even though we don't have a class going the cadets do stuff and find things to do. Thats the beauty of the program it is cadet run.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:21 AM
First Lieutenant

Thumbs up

Test scores along with a high GPA are a major part of the scholarship and college all together. I have had the same problem and I hired a tutor and got some self help books on the issue. That helped me out but it dosent always work for everybody. Now there are two programs that I know about. They are the SMP (simontaneious membership program) through the Army and the CFP (college first program) through the Army National Guard. If I didn't have the Scholarship I would have done the SMP program. In the SMP program you go to BCT the summer after you graduate then you go to your first year of college. Then after you go to your first year of college you go to your AIT. After that you go to your second year of college. After you finish your second year of college and you are contracted out with the ROTC program and they can't deploy you or anything of the sort. For more information you will need to talk to your local Army recruiter. Now I know nothing about the CFP so you will just half to go to your local National Guard recruiter to find out all this information. START ON ALL THIS MONDAY!!!!!!!!!!!! this stuff takes time and time is not what you have. Here is the Army's ROTC page [url]http://www.goarmy.com/rotc/index.jsp[/url].

I won't be actually start taking classes until 20 August 2008. However I do everything that the ROTC department dose. I have already got all my uniforms, rank, and PT scores. They don't hold ROTC classes during the summer because it is a 9 month course (Fall and Winter). We do actually do a lot of stuff during the summer just last weekend we worked at a airshow in Huntsville and yesterday we had a bbq down on the river. We also run PT everyday and shoot on every Friday. All the cadets hang out and are good friends. It is truly a cadet run program.

Ive got a question for you: where do you live, how old are you, do you have any family in the military, where do you plan to go to school, and if you went to a public school where would you be going to?

Old 07-05-2008, 10:24 AM
First Lieutenant

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie.lei View Post
Thanks for the advice, it's good to see an rotc cadet in here. Yeah, I knew that they were given competitively but I get more worried about that every day. I do well, actually really well, with the school curriculum i use (averaging A and A+) but when I go online and get tested by other school curriculums (practice tests for things like, SAT and a highschool diploma) I do poorly, actually really poorly. So yeah, I'm worried.
Have you finished your first year of rotc or are you going into your first year? Either way, do you have to go through BTC before?
Test scores along with a high GPA are a major part of the scholarship and college all together. I have had the same problem and I hired a tutor and got some self help books on the issue. That helped me out but it doesnít always work for everybody. Now there are two programs that I know about. They are the SMP (simontaneious membership program) through the Army and the CFP (college first program) through the Army National Guard. If I didn't have the Scholarship I would have done the SMP program. In the SMP program you go to BCT the summer after you graduate then you go to your first year of college. Then after you go to your first year of college you go to your AIT. After that you go to your second year of college. After you finish your second year of college and you are contracted out with the ROTC program and they can't deploy you or anything of the sort. For more information you will need to talk to your local Army recruiter. Now I know nothing about the CFP so you will just half to go to your local National Guard recruiter to find out all this information. START ON ALL THIS MONDAY!!!!!!!!!!!! this stuff takes time and time is not what you have. Here is the Army's ROTC page [url]http://www.goarmy.com/rotc/index.jsp[/url].

I won't be actually start taking classes until 20 August 2008. However I do everything that the ROTC department dose. I have already got all my uniforms, rank, and PT scores. They don't hold ROTC classes during the summer because it is a 9 month course (Fall and Winter). We do actually do a lot of stuff during the summer just last weekend we worked at a air show in Huntsville and yesterday we had a bbq down on the river. We also run PT everyday and shoot on every Friday. All the cadets hang out and are good friends. It is truly a cadet run program.

Ive got a question for you: where do you live, how old are you, do you have any family in the military, where do you plan to go to school, and if you went to a public school where would you be going to?

Old 07-07-2008, 10:12 PM
Private

Thank you, again, for your suggestions. I try to get as much info as I can.
Okay, let me give a run through of my situation. I'm 17 years old and I will be going into my senior year (homeschooling, as I mentioned). But now that I'm pursuing a scholarship and I see how I have already practically run out of time to get things figured out, I've decided to go ahead and do an extra year of highschool. Doing an extra year, I'm hoping to get smarter and to become 100% positive that the army is in my future. This way, I will have just turned 19 before my freshman year.
The only person in my family that I can think of associated with the military is my related-by-marriage grandpa -- he served in world war II. But other than that, no one in my family even speaks about the military, and it's probably the last thought on their minds. So you have probably gathered that I haven't told them yet..
I live in the panhandle of Florida, and I'm hoping to attend a small Christian college in southern Florida. They offer ROTC by way of classes at University of Southern Florida.

Though I would enjoy gaining experience through JROTC while I'm in highschool, it is impractical because half of the time I live out of the country.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:54 PM
First Lieutenant

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie.lei View Post
Thank you, again, for your suggestions. I try to get as much info as I can.
Okay, let me give a run through of my situation. I'm 17 years old and I will be going into my senior year (homeschooling, as I mentioned). But now that I'm pursuing a scholarship and I see how I have already practically run out of time to get things figured out, I've decided to go ahead and do an extra year of highschool. Doing an extra year, I'm hoping to get smarter and to become 100% positive that the army is in my future. This way, I will have just turned 19 before my freshman year.
The only person in my family that I can think of associated with the military is my related-by-marriage grandpa -- he served in world war II. But other than that, no one in my family even speaks about the military, and it's probably the last thought on their minds. So you have probably gathered that I haven't told them yet..
I live in the panhandle of Florida, and I'm hoping to attend a small Christian college in southern Florida. They offer ROTC by way of classes at University of Southern Florida.

Though I would enjoy gaining experience through JROTC while I'm in highschool, it is impractical because half of the time I live out of the country.
If I were you I would look into the SMP or CF programs. I would also finish school on time. My advice is that you go to a community college for a year or so and get some basic courses under your belt. During this year I would be in contact with the military science department. I know we give out 2, 3, and 3 Ĺ year contract (ROTC scholarship) out. Itís a lot easier to transfer colleges than apply and a first time freshman. Just keep your nose to the books, get your test scores up, and drive head on into it. I know you can do it you have just got to put your mind to it. As a officer you will be faced with tougher challenges than this. Always keep in your mind that you can do it. Never quit, try hard, push all the way and you will achieve greatness. Not to sound like a sellout but do me a favor and check my school out here is the link to the home page [url]www.una.edu[/url], and here is our ROTC Page [url]http://armyrotc.com/edu/univnorthal/index.htm[/url]. I can personally help you out with any questions about our program.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:42 AM
Recruit

Hello people, I want to study in medical science in USA. But I donít have that much money, so I am wondering if there is any grant may help me. I wanted to know if an international medical student who is about to go for their clinical rotations in USA has any financial options other than having to get a bank loan. Are there any grants or scholarships that can help for clinical rotations? Please let me know. Thanks a lot.

Old 08-23-2008, 07:20 AM
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffeny View Post
Hello people, I want to study in medical science in USA. But I donít have that much money, so I am wondering if there is any grant may help me. I wanted to know if an international medical student who is about to go for their clinical rotations in USA has any financial options other than having to get a bank loan. Are there any grants or scholarships that can help for clinical rotations? Please let me know. Thanks a lot.
Well there is a list of things you can do to get money from the Army. The first thing is enroll in a Army ROTC program. I'm not too knowledgeable on the hole medical field but here is what I do know. I know that the Army has a nursing program that will pay for everything. I also know that the Army will pick up a doctors med school bills if he or she joins the Army. You will get the rank of CPT. and you will serve in the Medical Corps. The best thing for you to do is contact a Army ROTC department or your local Army Recruiter.