armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Army.com General Discussions > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password

Old 11-17-2007, 12:48 PM
Recruit

Default New guy

Hi, My name is Mason and I am currently in the Army's DEP program. I should be finished with highschool in June and ship out to boot camp in August. I'm going for 11x MOS with Airborne on the way. I can't wait to start serving. hooah.

Old 11-17-2007, 12:59 PM
Major

Send a message via AIM to Zidane Send a message via MSN to Zidane

SUP Mason?
We view ourselves on the eve of battle. We are nerved for the contest, and must conquer or perish. It is vain to look for present aid. We must now act or abandon all hope! Rally to the standard, and be no longer the scoff of mercenary tongues! Be men, be free men, that your children may bless their father's name. - Sam Houston

Duty is the most sublime word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee

Old 11-17-2007, 10:14 PM
Brigadier General

Send a message via AIM to Nightflyer
Cool The Nightstalkers.....Hooah.

That's right! brag about us....The Army's been good to us.....Always remember...it's about the soldiers, before us and besides us....including our families. Hooah.

Nightflyer. Highspeed.
Army Aviation. Air Assualt.
Black berets forever.
U S A

Classic. And we get it.

Posted by... Nightflyer..Go get me a beer....
Posted by Zekos....get me one too b.itch Posted by... Exo1.Haha!!... good man!!.... .........yeah!!.... while your out there get me one too.....Posted by... SniperALpha1Corona with lime is the way to go. CAUSE THAT'S AMERICA *****!Posted by...Zidane Whiskey pl0x.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:27 AM
General of the Armies

Welcome to the forum Dep... hope you enjoy our crazy debates....

p.s. Best keeping your real name off a public forum, especially if you are intending to enlist in the Army...

Rgds
Exo..

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"

Old 11-18-2007, 05:36 PM
Brigadier General

Hi, Mason.

Congratulations on your enlistment in the Army. My son is a Sergeant in the 3rd Ranger Batt. 75th Ranger Regt. & he'll be getting out just a few months before you ship. I can remember his DEP days like it was yesterday but it was 3 1/2 years ago. Time flies. It seems like just a few months since I retired from the Army & it's been 6 years!

Did you get an Airborne 11X/option4 contract? That'll insure your going to Airborne School.
My son got lucky when he was in Infantry OSUT & they asked for Airborne & Ranger volunteers & was able to get a slot for RIP after Airborne School. The 11X/Abn/option 40 contract is for Ranger Indoctrination Program after Airborne School & he was able to change his original contract for 11X only.

Good luck to you & keep us updated on any of your DEP activities.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:00 AM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG Glenn View Post
Hi, Mason.

Congratulations on your enlistment in the Army. My son is a Sergeant in the 3rd Ranger Batt. 75th Ranger Regt. & he'll be getting out just a few months before you ship. I can remember his DEP days like it was yesterday but it was 3 1/2 years ago. Time flies. It seems like just a few months since I retired from the Army & it's been 6 years!

Did you get an Airborne 11X/option4 contract? That'll insure your going to Airborne School.
My son got lucky when he was in Infantry OSUT & they asked for Airborne & Ranger volunteers & was able to get a slot for RIP after Airborne School. The 11X/Abn/option 40 contract is for Ranger Indoctrination Program after Airborne School & he was able to change his original contract for 11X only.

Good luck to you & keep us updated on any of your DEP activities.
Glenn, is your son getting out, out, or is he leaving the Ranger Rgt?

Old 11-21-2007, 11:16 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo1 View Post
Glenn, is your son getting out, out, or is he leaving the Ranger Rgt?
My son's enlistment ends in May '08. He's almost sure he'll opt to get out. His enlistment was 4 years & 16 weeks of active duty but the total obligation is 8 years so he'll have to do time in the Army National guard or Army Reserve.
He was offered SSG stripes & a squad after deployment but he'd have to reenlist or extend by a year. He felt honored to be selected as he only made SGT in May & that would be less than a year between promotions but he says he has other plans.
I'm sure that he's considered that a 1 year extension in the 75th Ranger Regt. will also give him a $12,000 bonus. He's an adult & it's totally his decision.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 11-21-2007, 03:07 PM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG Glenn View Post
My son's enlistment ends in May '08. He's almost sure he'll opt to get out. His enlistment was 4 years & 16 weeks of active duty but the total obligation is 8 years so he'll have to do time in the Army National guard or Army Reserve.
He was offered SSG stripes & a squad after deployment but he'd have to reenlist or extend by a year. He felt honored to be selected as he only made SGT in May & that would be less than a year between promotions but he says he has other plans.
I'm sure that he's considered that a 1 year extension in the 75th Ranger Regt. will also give him a $12,000 bonus. He's an adult & it's totally his decision.
Your right, its his decision for sure.... Let me get this straight in my head, he gets a $12k bonus for staying on with the 75th for one year?... right?... If so, thats way cool, and his plans if he does something else must be awesome!!.. Well, I know your real proud of his acheivements, as you should be, from what Ive heard, it takes real warriors to make it in the 75th and beyond... My respect to your son and his pals... great stuff....

We have a different Rank Structure here in Ireland, which is especially different when you look at the NCO rank structure, being an SSG is the same as a Platoon Sgt right? or is it a Section Sgt?.... Im always getting confused between SSG and MSG?...

Anyway, your son has put some service in for US at such a high priority time of operations for your Countrys Army, its the stuff that seperates the men from the boys..... best regards to him, and good tidings for all operations to come...

Exo...