armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Army.com General Discussions > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 08-15-2006, 06:57 PM
Second Lieutenant

Default If Muslims hate Britain so much, why don't they leave?

Britain's most senior Asian police officer is calling for an independent judicial review into the causes of 'anger and resentment' among young British Muslims.

Tarique Ghaffur, an assistant commissioner in the Met, thinks anti-terror laws could 'criminalise' minority communities.

'The impact of this will be just at the time we need the confidence and trust of these communities, they may retreat inside themselves,' he told the National Black Police Association's conference in Manchester.

Mr Ghaffur claimed that security measures being introduced across Europe and the use of 'unwanted practices' such as passenger profiling at airports and stop-and-search discriminate against Muslims. Anything which encourages ordinary Muslims to come forward and help the police and security services is welcome.

But it's curious that a high-ranking police officer, whose first duty is the safety of the public, should criticise measures aimed at saving lives as 'unwanted'.

Passenger profiling and stop-and-search may irritate young Muslims. But that is not the fault of the authorities, it is the fault of their co-religionists. It's not Sikhs, or Methodists, or Zoroastrians flying planes into buildings or blowing themselves up on public transport.

If Muslims object to close scrutiny when they travel by air, how do they think middle-aged Baptists like being subjected to body scans and having to walk across filthy airport floors without their shoes?

We are all inconvenienced by the war the Islamonazis have declared on our civilisation. And it is unfortunate that some Muslims fall under su****ion simply because they share certain characteristics with those responsible.

I didn't particularly like being searched going into Stuttgart football ground during the World Cup to watch England play Ecuador.

But the German authorities had worked out that English football hooligans tend to be white, male and English and so they weren't taking any chances with anyone who remotely fitted that description - no matter how old or well-dressed.

If 'community leaders' took the trouble to explain to young Muslims that increased security is for their benefit, too, and not use every opportunity to convince them that they are being victimised, there might be a little less anger and resentment.

Mr Ghaffur's speech coincided with the publication of a new survey which claims almost a quarter of British Muslims believe that the July 7 bombings were justified because of the Government's support for the war on terror.

The most hardline views came from young Muslims under the age of 24 who have grown up in Britain.

A third of Muslims think Britain has become so morally reprehensible that they would rather live under Sharia law and dream of this country becoming an Islamic state.

Plenty of non-Muslims have reached the same conclusion about the state of morals in this country. But they confine themselves to writing angry letters to the Daily Mail or moving to Spain.

They don't believe the answer is to turn Britain into a 7th-century theocracy, where women are second-class citizens and homosexuals are put to death.

I'm never sure how much credence to give these surveys, especially since four out of ten believe the fairy story that Lady Di was murdered by MI5 to stop her marrying a Muslim, Dodi Fayed. (But then again, so does the Daily Express.)

Even if it's only half true, then there's something dangerously wrong. Mr Ghaffur wants a judicial inquiry into the root causes, but that would probably only end up trotting out the usual excuses.

Since 9/11, we haven't stopped asking ourselves: why do they hate us? We've reached out more often than the Four Tops. We've picked enough fluff out of our navels to fill duvets for everyone in the Third World.

Moral decline

I'm sure that social deprivation and disgust at Britain's moral decline has something to do with the disenchantment and alienation. But that's not the whole story.

Young Muslims haven't been radicalised by scruffy housing, binge drinking and half-dressed slappers on every street corner. They have been told constantly by their self-appointed leaders and their imams that they are oppressed by widespread 'Islamophobia'.

They are encouraged to put loyalty to their faith above responsibility to their country of birth.

They are brainwashed into treating any misfortune which befalls any Muslim anywhere in the world as a personal insult.

Makeshift mosques in run-down backstreets and demented jihadist websites pump out hatred of the West, which is blamed for all the problems in the Muslim universe.

Fanatics are allowed to march through the streets preaching death to the infidel, death to Jews, death to just about anyone. For a peaceful religion, they're very big on death.

This is all coming from within the Muslim community, not from without. Is it any wonder that some of this constant ideological bombardment rubs off?

We don't need a judicial inquiry to tell us any of this.

The majority of Muslims in Britain make a valuable contribution and want to live a quiet life, just like the rest of us.

But, as this survey illustrates, a sizeable minority don't. They have no desire to adapt to Britain. They want Britain to adapt to them.

For a large number of Muslims, their faith is incompatible with Western freedoms and democracy.

No one is forced to remain here. As discussed in this column recently, hundreds of thousands of British citizens decide to emigrate every year.

If there are people who hate this country so much they think mass murder of civilians on our streets is justified and they would rather live in a fundamentalist Islamic state, all the judicial reviews in the world are not going to change their minds.

If we promise not to profile them at the airport, they should leave - and take their 'anger and resentment' with them.

Old 08-16-2006, 03:13 PM
General of the Armies

Ive already made my points in other posts about the dangers of generalisations, that article just reterates a generalist solution.... if you dont like it, then piss off back to where you came from????..... The fact that an ex colonial power cant manage its immigration policy or understand the contributing cultural traits that seed conflict with their own culture is a failure of, and point for goverment, who on careful and wise consideration need to address it..... guaranteed it wont be a yob response like go back to where you came from..... You know radicalism is not localised to the Muslim religon, everybody can develop it.... I see it from an English perspective in that Article....

Old 09-10-2006, 04:31 AM
Brigadier General

Media 'contributing to rise of Islamophobia'

Britain could face the threat of two million home-grown Islamic terrorists, says a senior Muslim leader.

Muhammad Abdul Bari, the secretary-general of the Muslim Council of Britain, fears that continued negative attitudes towards people of his faith could provoke a vast and angry backlash.

"There are a few bad apples in the Muslim community who are doing terrible acts and we want to root them out," Dr Bari told The Sunday Telegraph.

"But some police officers and sections of the media are demonising Muslims, treating them as if they're all terrorists and that encourages other people to do the same.

"If that demonisation continues, then Britain will have to deal with two million Muslim terrorists 700,000 of them in London," he said. "If you attack a whole community, it becomes despondent and aggressive."

Mr Bari was speaking at the East London Mosque, where he is chairman, after a month-long tour of Britain's Muslim communities, during which he said he picked up a mood of "anxiety, frustration and, especially among young people, anger".

His comments come days after Peter Clarke, the head of the Metropolitan Police anti-terrorist branch, said "thousands" of British Muslims were being watched by police and MI5 over suspected terrorist links.

Dr Bari, 52, who has succeeded Sir Iqbal Sacranie as the head of the council, said: "We want to isolate the bad people and put them in the dock. But we all have to work together to do that police, politicians, the media and the Muslim community."

He did not understand why "the whole of our diverse community" was being targeted. "When the IRA was blowing people up, the entire Catholic population of Britain was not demonised, so why is it happening to the Muslim community?"

The council leader who took his post two days before a police raid in east London, in which a Muslim man was shot but no charges were brought said the media had contributed to the demonisation by concentrating on a few extremists and ignoring the law-abiding majority.

He said it was "ridiculous" that moderate Muslims had been accused of not speaking out. "When we speak we are ignored by the media, but when Abu Hamza or Omar Bakri Mohammed say something they are all over the papers."

Mr Bari, a former air force engineer in Bangladesh and now a special needs teacher in east London, said Islamophobia had increased after 9/11, 7/7, last month's arrests over the alleged plot to blow up transatlantic aircraft, and the raids last weekend on an Islamic school in East Sussex and a London restaurant. Seventeen people have been charged over the alleged plot and 14 were arrested in last weekend's raids.

Mr Bari criticised calls for security profiling at airports based on ethnicity or religion, saying this "reinforces a negative stereotype". Meanwhile, moderate Muslim anger has been directed at Government policy. Last month, leading Muslims wrote to Tony Blair saying his policy in Iraq and on Israel offered "ammunition to extremists" and put British lives "at increased risk".

Mr Bari, a married father-of four, rejected claims that mosques encouraged the rise of home-grown terrorists, but admitted that they needed "modernising" and he was concerned that many imams did not speak English.

"Some young Muslims are out of control. They are barred from the mosques and ignore their parents."

The more established Muslim communities, such as those from east Africa, were integrating well, but the relatively new communities were struggling with poverty and poor academic achievement. "They need help," he said. "Integration is a two-way process and the dominant, majority culture has to do more."

Islamophobia was also making it hard for Muslims to rise to senior jobs, and unemployment among Muslims was far higher than the national average.

He called for more Muslim representation in the police force, Parliament and other areas of public life. "Young Muslims need role models to show them they can play a part in British society."

Old 09-10-2006, 04:39 AM
Brigadier General

I love it when they try to justify their screwed up logic

Old 09-10-2006, 04:41 AM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
Media 'contributing to rise of Islamophobia'

Britain could face the threat of two million home-grown Islamic terrorists, says a senior Muslim leader.

Muhammad Abdul Bari, the secretary-general of the Muslim Council of Britain, fears that continued negative attitudes towards people of his faith could provoke a vast and angry backlash.

"There are a few bad apples in the Muslim community who are doing terrible acts and we want to root them out," Dr Bari told The Sunday Telegraph.

"But some police officers and sections of the media are demonising Muslims, treating them as if they're all terrorists and that encourages other people to do the same.

"If that demonisation continues, then Britain will have to deal with two million Muslim terrorists 700,000 of them in London," he said. "If you attack a whole community, it becomes despondent and aggressive."

Mr Bari was speaking at the East London Mosque, where he is chairman, after a month-long tour of Britain's Muslim communities, during which he said he picked up a mood of "anxiety, frustration and, especially among young people, anger".

His comments come days after Peter Clarke, the head of the Metropolitan Police anti-terrorist branch, said "thousands" of British Muslims were being watched by police and MI5 over suspected terrorist links.

Dr Bari, 52, who has succeeded Sir Iqbal Sacranie as the head of the council, said: "We want to isolate the bad people and put them in the dock. But we all have to work together to do that police, politicians, the media and the Muslim community."

He did not understand why "the whole of our diverse community" was being targeted. "When the IRA was blowing people up, the entire Catholic population of Britain was not demonised, so why is it happening to the Muslim community?"

The council leader who took his post two days before a police raid in east London, in which a Muslim man was shot but no charges were brought said the media had contributed to the demonisation by concentrating on a few extremists and ignoring the law-abiding majority.

He said it was "ridiculous" that moderate Muslims had been accused of not speaking out. "When we speak we are ignored by the media, but when Abu Hamza or Omar Bakri Mohammed say something they are all over the papers."

Mr Bari, a former air force engineer in Bangladesh and now a special needs teacher in east London, said Islamophobia had increased after 9/11, 7/7, last month's arrests over the alleged plot to blow up transatlantic aircraft, and the raids last weekend on an Islamic school in East Sussex and a London restaurant. Seventeen people have been charged over the alleged plot and 14 were arrested in last weekend's raids.

Mr Bari criticised calls for security profiling at airports based on ethnicity or religion, saying this "reinforces a negative stereotype". Meanwhile, moderate Muslim anger has been directed at Government policy. Last month, leading Muslims wrote to Tony Blair saying his policy in Iraq and on Israel offered "ammunition to extremists" and put British lives "at increased risk".

Mr Bari, a married father-of four, rejected claims that mosques encouraged the rise of home-grown terrorists, but admitted that they needed "modernising" and he was concerned that many imams did not speak English.

"Some young Muslims are out of control. They are barred from the mosques and ignore their parents."

The more established Muslim communities, such as those from east Africa, were integrating well, but the relatively new communities were struggling with poverty and poor academic achievement. "They need help," he said. "Integration is a two-way process and the dominant, majority culture has to do more."

Islamophobia was also making it hard for Muslims to rise to senior jobs, and unemployment among Muslims was far higher than the national average.

He called for more Muslim representation in the police force, Parliament and other areas of public life. "Young Muslims need role models to show them they can play a part in British society."

Good Article Spike, didnt release that there was such a high level of general tension between the Muslim community in Britian and the rest of British society..... They do need to act fast to make things right though..... Its a real call for government initiative... will it happen?

Old 09-10-2006, 05:02 AM
Brigadier General

So basically ,I feel persecuted against and victimised . So then I make an astounding leap and decide that I want to blow myself up and kill as many infidel as possible . Yeh that makes sense . Oh and the papers are to blame as well ,another reason to blow myself up . Give me styrength .Everybody else is to blame arn't they . Why don't these morons look alittle closer home and and examine their own screwed up beliefs . One thing they can do is stop dressing in Islamo- fascist uniform .Whats wrong with T shirt and jeans for christ sake . They want to make a statement about who they are and what they are,thats what they're about . They're a set of bloody hypocrits .If Islam is so wonderful ........Ryan air could make a small fortune flying these buggers back .............bye bye

Old 09-10-2006, 05:56 AM
Second Lieutenant

In France we have an other problem our Moslems (Arabs in general) would like to be regarded as true French citizens and not like second-class citizens and I think the true problem is not their religion but the color of their skin, with ~ 4 million Moslems we have a problem, I think that we had a too important surge of immigrants in little time compared to our capacity of integration now we must close the valves and we must remove the rotted fruits before they contaminate the others.

Old 09-10-2006, 08:44 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim76 View Post
I think the true problem is not their religion but the color of their skin, with ~ 4 million Moslems we have a problem
Personally I don't care what colour someone is . Their attitude and willingness to adapt to a countries culture is what concerns me . Diversity is good but it has its limits and I think that too many muslims are selfish and backward due to their ethnic background .

Quote:
I think that we had a too important surge of immigrants in little time compared to our capacity of integration now we must close the valves and we must remove the rotted fruits before they contaminate the others
Yes ,and who said they could come in . Our dumb politicians who don't have to live with them .....The So called educated elite that make these decisions then go live out in the country miles away from the problem they inflict on us . Stupid basterds

Old 09-10-2006, 12:48 PM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
So basically ,I feel persecuted against and victimised . So then I make an astounding leap and decide that I want to blow myself up and kill as many infidel as possible . Yeh that makes sense . Oh and the papers are to blame as well ,another reason to blow myself up . Give me styrength .Everybody else is to blame arn't they . Why don't these morons look alittle closer home and and examine their own screwed up beliefs . One thing they can do is stop dressing in Islamo- fascist uniform .Whats wrong with T shirt and jeans for christ sake . They want to make a statement about who they are and what they are,thats what they're about . They're a set of bloody hypocrits .If Islam is so wonderful ........Ryan air could make a small fortune flying these buggers back .............bye bye
Theres nothing wrong with Jeans and a Tee Shirt..... Fine pieces of clothing....

Old 09-10-2006, 12:51 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Its a very dangrous area racial hatered...our grandfarthers went to war to stop that sort of thing and you cant blanket a hole race just for a few idiots....i know some down the line asians and sopme foolish ones just like any other race you cant go to stereotypes