armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > General Military Discussions
User Name
Password

Old 08-24-2008, 08:31 AM
Private

Default spouse housing regs

Hi, I am new to this as of 20 minutes ago. I am a Sgt. in the Natl. Guard. I remember reading an article about spouses being able to live together in Iraq, does this also hold true for Natl. Guard at home as well? I have looked everywhere for the Reg. but no luck

Old 08-24-2008, 08:49 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Hi, I am new to this as of 20 minutes ago. I am a Sgt. in the Natl. Guard. I remember reading an article about spouses being able to live together in Iraq, does this also hold true for Natl. Guard at home as well? I have looked everywhere for the Reg. but no luck
Yup, this is Army wide as long as your units are stationed together. If both Soldiers are deployed and in different locations the Army won't reassign anyone as they have to serve with their own units but if you are lucky enough to be stationed at the same camp you will be able to live with each other.

Ok that answer if for overseas..what do you mean "at home"?

Old 08-24-2008, 08:59 AM
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armygirl4Ever View Post
Yup, this is Army wide as long as your units are stationed together. If both Soldiers are deployed and in different locations the Army won't reassign anyone as they have to serve with their own units but if you are lucky enough to be stationed at the same camp you will be able to live with each other.

Ok that answer if for overseas..what do you mean "at home"?
My wife and I are in the same company in the Natl. Guard, during drill and AT there has been some grumbling over our sleeping arrangements from the lower enlisted. This is why I'm tring to locate the AR.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:07 AM
Captain

Quote:
My wife and I are in the same company in the Natl. Guard, during drill and AT there has been some grumbling over our sleeping arrangements from the lower enlisted. This is why I'm tring to locate the AR.
Well, something I should have pointed out and I apologize is that it is also Command driven meaning it is up to the Command whether or not married couples can reside together. When the policy was made for overseas, it was specifically for Iraq, and it still emphasized that it was up to each individual command.

You should discuss this with your 1SG and Commander (or even higher your CSM and Battalion Commander) and if it is ok with them then ask them to draw up a policy letter.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:15 AM
Private

Quote:
Well, something I should have pointed out and I apologize is that it is also Command driven meaning it is up to the Command whether or not married couples can reside together. When the policy was made for overseas, it was specifically for Iraq, and it still emphasized that it was up to each individual command.

You should discuss this with your 1SG and Commander (or even higher your CSM and Battalion Commander) and if it is ok with them then ask them to draw up a policy letter.
That was the first thing I did but....4 months later no in-writing answers. Top and the commander are aware of the situation and have no issues but the some of the lower enlisted are looking at it as a form of favortisim.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:41 AM
Captain

Quote:
That was the first thing I did but....4 months later no in-writing answers. Top and the commander are aware of the situation and have no issues but the some of the lower enlisted are looking at it as a form of favortisim.
Well, try to think of it from their perspective, a good NCO would see how it could be perceived.

If your chain of command doesn't have an issue with it, then let it be or ask them to address it, if they won't, well then what more can you do.

My husband and I were dual military for 10 years and we never lived together unless we were in housing, In the field, TDY or on deployments, we never lived together and it was ok. I have very strong feelings on the whole matter anyway, but I have to head out to church and can't go in depth.

Really if your chain of command isn't really supporting you, and your lower enlisted are annoyed with the situation, you are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Try to think about where they are coming from and why they are grumbling.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:55 AM
Private

Quote:
Well, try to think of it from their perspective, a good NCO would see how it could be perceived.

If your chain of command doesn't have an issue with it, then let it be or ask them to address it, if they won't, well then what more can you do.

My husband and I were dual military for 10 years and we never lived together unless we were in housing, In the field, TDY or on deployments, we never lived together and it was ok. I have very strong feelings on the whole matter anyway, but I have to head out to church and can't go in depth.

Really if your chain of command isn't really supporting you, and your lower enlisted are annoyed with the situation, you are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Try to think about where they are coming from and why they are grumbling.
The very first thing I did was look at it from their point of view but in all honesty what I and my wife do after duty hours is not their business or concern. sorry if I touched a nerve...anyway if you have any idea where I can find the AR that would be great!!!

Old 08-24-2008, 01:36 PM
Captain

Quote:
The very first thing I did was look at it from their point of view but in all honesty what I and my wife do after duty hours is not their business or concern. sorry if I touched a nerve...anyway if you have any idea where I can find the AR that would be great!!!
You didn't touch a nerve, there is no AR that governs this, it's command discretion, they need to set up the policy themselves.

Take through your chain of command. I see your perspective, I got counseled once in Korea for having "relations" with my husband in the barracks. Another Soldier wrote a statement against me because she got written up for having guys in her room overnight. I thought it was ridiculous, my husband and I had our own rooms and really I thought the CO was stupid for counseling me but he had to according to the regs. So I do see your perspective.

Basically, in your situation, it will have to fall on your command, are you guys the only married couple in your unit? If not, maybe you could request a meeting with the other couples with the chain of command.

I said to see it from their perspective simply because when you are at AT, you are on duty 24/7 and they do see it as an unfair advantage. It doesn't mean it's fair to you and your wife, but in their eyes, it's not fair to them either. It's all a matter of perspective.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:10 AM
First Lieutenant

Send a message via Yahoo to kmullins

my husbands unit got split up with all the other state units when they went over to Iraq. he had a woman who was being split off into her husbands unit and they were going to be able to house together. my husbands only problem with this was that the original plans was for her to go with his team, but they moved her to she would be able to go with the husband after she bitched and cried about it. i said well hey, now you dont have to deal with her!