armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Army.com General Discussions > The Lounge
User Name
Password

Old 08-10-2008, 05:25 PM
Staff Sergeant

Default The Olympic Games

Has anyone been watching the games?,my problem is with the GB athletes.

They have not won any medals yet,I think this is a poor showing.Have you lot watched any events yet?.If so what?,and were they any good

Old 08-11-2008, 12:29 AM
Brigadier General

I caught it on the News earlier RM..we are 5th in the medal standings two Golds and a bronze
I said i wasnt going to watch it..exept maybe the Egg and Spoon race...but i have watched a little ....i saw some dancing horses the other day..i thought to myself whats this ****e...then the screen showed it was the French...i guess thats fair enough......
i watched the Bows and Arrows event aswell..we were beat to bronze by the french...i was willing them the Robin Hood spirit but it didnt work...I saw some very springy Romainians aswell...they beat us in the semi finals of the bend the matrix team event....when Romania beats you at anything...you know its been a bad bay at the office

We are an Island race...so if we dont win anything in the Sailing.. Rowing or the doggie paddle...im gonna hit the roof

Anyway.. the sword fighing is on later...cant wait

Old 08-11-2008, 09:05 AM
First Lieutenant

I watched beach volleyball while I was at the barber shop this weekend. That about it.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:08 AM
Brigadier General

Send a message via Yahoo to Fireball

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrj1000 View Post
I caught it on the News earlier RM..we are 5th in the medal standings two Golds and a bronze
I said i wasnt going to watch it..exept maybe the Egg and Spoon race...but i have watched a little ....i saw some dancing horses the other day..i thought to myself whats this ****e...then the screen showed it was the French...i guess thats fair enough......
i watched the Bows and Arrows event aswell..we were beat to bronze by the french...i was willing them the Robin Hood spirit but it didnt work...I saw some very springy Romainians aswell...they beat us in the semi finals of the bend the matrix team event....when Romania beats you at anything...you know its been a bad bay at the office

We are an Island race...so if we dont win anything in the Sailing.. Rowing or the doggie paddle...im gonna hit the roof

Anyway.. the sword fighing is on later...cant wait
I enjoyed watching the swimming races on the news this morning... I am not really a summer olympic game person. I like the winter games myself. Anyway, the swimming was amazing and I am thinking I just may try and catch a few games. We'll see...

-Fireball
Army Wife and mother of 3

Old 08-12-2008, 12:43 PM
Brigadier General

Some visitors to the Games have expressed incredulity at the scale of the security operation mounted by the Chinese government. It is not so much the 100,000 uniformed police that cause the bafflement - after all, there is at least one on every official bus - but the 100,000 volunteer security staff.

The uniformed security persons have been trained to say two key English phrases: "Please take your personal belongings with you", and "Have a nice day". Some can also say "David Beckham" but more often than not it comes as "Wavy Necking".

The volunteer security staff are less easy to recognise, since they wear the same cheery red uniforms as all the other cheery, willing, unpaid helpers at the Games.

If you are mad keen on identifying them, though, a subtle gesture might help. Infringe a very minor aspect of Olympic protocol, perhaps by waving a small flag belonging to a nation that is not recognised by the IOC - Tibet springs to mind - and the volunteer security staff will be the ones frog-marching you out of the stadium, where their paid colleagues will take over.

---

SHOCK OF THE DAY
Only five red cards in the Serbia v Croatia water-polo match; no drownings.

QUOTE OF THE DAY
"We have 30 world-class athletes this time, 29 runners and one boxer. All of them are gold medallists. We don't expect much from the boxer." Gebeyaw Takele, chef de mission, Ethiopia

SONG OF THE DAY
As performed by the synthesiser artiste in the Carnival Bar at the Regal Riverside Hotel in Hong Kong: Fry Me To The Moon.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:47 PM
Brigadier General

Send a message via Yahoo to Fireball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
Some visitors to the Games have expressed incredulity at the scale of the security operation mounted by the Chinese government. It is not so much the 100,000 uniformed police that cause the bafflement - after all, there is at least one on every official bus - but the 100,000 volunteer security staff.

The uniformed security persons have been trained to say two key English phrases: "Please take your personal belongings with you", and "Have a nice day". Some can also say "David Beckham" but more often than not it comes as "Wavy Necking".

The volunteer security staff are less easy to recognise, since they wear the same cheery red uniforms as all the other cheery, willing, unpaid helpers at the Games.

If you are mad keen on identifying them, though, a subtle gesture might help. Infringe a very minor aspect of Olympic protocol, perhaps by waving a small flag belonging to a nation that is not recognised by the IOC - Tibet springs to mind - and the volunteer security staff will be the ones frog-marching you out of the stadium, where their paid colleagues will take over.

---

SHOCK OF THE DAY
Only five red cards in the Serbia v Croatia water-polo match; no drownings.

QUOTE OF THE DAY
"We have 30 world-class athletes this time, 29 runners and one boxer. All of them are gold medallists. We don't expect much from the boxer." Gebeyaw Takele, chef de mission, Ethiopia

SONG OF THE DAY
As performed by the synthesiser artiste in the Carnival Bar at the Regal Riverside Hotel in Hong Kong: Fry Me To The Moon.
LOL! I was up until about 2am last night/this morning and I had the games on. It was the men twirling on bars... and doing floor exercises... no wonder why it is on at 1-2am.

-Fireball
Army Wife and mother of 3

Old 08-13-2008, 12:20 AM
Brigadier General

The Yank Phelps is getting a bit greedy isnt he...five golds and counting

Did anyone see the sword fighting yesterday?

Old 08-13-2008, 06:31 AM
Brigadier General

I've been watching the Judo competitions online, the only place they can be seen.
I've got a large wide screen TV with cable & DVR & I can only watch my sport on a small, dinky monitor. Too lazy to rig up some kind of recording device if I even can so the matches will be lost to posterity.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:20 AM
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrj1000 View Post
The Yank Phelps is getting a bit greedy isnt he...five golds and counting

Did anyone see the sword fighting yesterday?
Phelps is a beast! I don't think anyone can challenge him in the pool. Not unless he gets hurt.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:15 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG Glenn View Post
I've been watching the Judo competitions online, the only place they can be seen.
I've got a large wide screen TV with cable & DVR & I can only watch my sport on a small, dinky monitor. Too lazy to rig up some kind of recording device if I even can so the matches will be lost to posterity.
Nice one MSG..we had some Judo guys taking part but their techs didnt seem up to it...there seem to be some good fighters out there(if thats what you call people taking part in Judo)...its the Japanese that gets me..and not understanding the scoring system...Karate was bad enough for me...forms were a nighmare