827,281, age 18-49 (2007 est.)
Reaching military
age annually
38,857 (2007 est.)
Active personnel 37,000
Reserve personnel 100,000
Budget $930 million (2008)
Percent of GDP 4.65% (2008)

The Georgian Armed ForcesThe mission and functions of the Georgian Armed Forces (GAF) are based on the Constitution of Georgia, Georgia’s Law on Defense and National Military Strategy, and international agreements to which Georgia is signatory. They are performed under the guidance and authority of the Ministry of Defense. The current authorized strength of the GAF structures is 28,666 personnel. The current Defence Minister is Davit Kezerashvili, and Chief of Joint Staff is Colonel Zaza Gogava.

Land Forces

The strength of Land Forces is 21,739 from which 2,215 are officers, 19,508 NCOs (contracting) and 16 civilians
Land Forces constitute the bulk of the GAF. Land Forces of Georgia consists of the following units:

1st Infantry Brigade, located in Gori
2nd Infantry Brigade, located in Senaki
3rd Infantry Brigade, located in Kutaisi
4th Infantry Brigade, located in Vaziani
5th Infantry Brigade, located in Khelvachauri (temporary distribution place) and Khoni
Artillery Brigade, located in Gori and Khoni
Military Engineering Brigade, located in Gori
Separate Light Infantry Battalion, located in Adlia
Separate Tank Battalion, located in Gori
Separate Air Defense Battalion, located in Kutaisi
Communication Battalion, located in Saguramo
Technical Reconnaissance Battalion, located in Kobuleti
Military Police Battalion, located in Tbilisi
Medical Battalion, located in Saguramo

Main battle tanks

T-72B1 - 59 units
T-72M - 75 units
T-72AB - 71 units
T-55AM - 40 units

AIFVs/APCs

BMP-1 - 80 units
BMP-2 - 120 units
BTR-80 - 75 units
MT-LB - 64 units
BRDM-2 - 17 units
Otokar Cobra - 100 units

Towed artillery

2A36 Giatsint-B - 12 units
2A65 Msta-B - 18 units
2A18 (D-30) - 120 units

Self-propelled artillery

2S7 Pion - 12 units
2S19 Msta-S - 3 units
2S3 Akatsiya - 26 units
VZ 77 Dana - 47 units

Multiple Launch Rocket Systems

M-87 Orkan - 4 units
RM-70 - 48 units
BM-21 Grad - 120 units
LAR-160- 15 units
M-63 Plamen – 12 units

Mortars

2B11 120 mm - 240 units
M-38/43 120 mm - 365 units
M75 120 mm – 250 units

Georgian Air Force

The Georgian Air Force consists of the air force and the air defense.

The main missions of the air forces are: to control and defend air space of Georgia; conduct air intelligence and surveillance; provide support to the Armed Forces other Services; conduct air evacuation and search and rescue operations; air movement of personnel and military cargo transportation. The strength of Air Forces is 1,813 military and civilian personnel.

Aircraft

22 Su-25KM
13 Su-25UB
12 MiG-25
4 Su-24
18 MiG-21
11 L-39
2 L-29

Helicopters

1 Mi-35
19 Mi-24P
21 Mi-24V
18 Mi-14
16 Mi-8
6 Bell 212
40 UH-1H
2 Mi-2

Air Defence

15 SA-11
38 SA-3
18 SA-8
35 ZSU-23-4
15 S-60
40 MT-LB with towed ZU-23-2

Georgian Navy

Georgia Navy is responsible for maintenance of the sovereignty of the country and for protection of internal territorial waters and economic zones. Georgian Navy is responsible to participate in collective protection of region of the Black Sea under multilateral agreements and commitments.
The primary functions of Navy:
- Watch over the interests of Georgia in the Black Sea region, maintenance of the sovereignty of the country, security of the navigation and operations controlling in the Georgia’s Responsibility Zone (GEOREP).

The primary goals of Navy

Demonstration of the national Flag in sea waters. - Provide of daily activities for combat readiness and preparation of the Naval Forces. - Protection of territorial integrity from an attack and other threats together with other Authority Bodies. - Achieve progress in the harmonization process with NATO and International requirements and standards in coordination with other government bodies. - Protection of national and international economical activities in the Georgia’s Responsibility Zone. - Interactions, cooperation and coordination with other ministries in environmental measures as well as in elimination of poaching, drug transit, trafficking and other illegal actions. - Planning and carrying out trainings, exercises and other preparation measures together with other types of the armed Forces. - Implementation of rescuing and searching operations, in the case of natural disasters aiding domestic population independently or in close cooperation with other authority bodies or neighbor countries relative structures. - Providing fire support during joint operations. - Ensure shipping transactions. - Lead counter-terrorism measures independently or with partner countries. - Providing special operations against objects located in enemy’s zone. - Fulfillment of international commitments.
The strength of Navy is 892 from which 178 are Officers, 405 NCOs, 119 Conscripts and 42 Civilians. Navy Headquarter and Main Naval Base are located in Poti. Mail Logistic Support base is located in Poti. Naval base is located in Batumi. Naval Squadron is located in Poti.
La Combattante II
armed with 2 OTO-Melara 76 mm/L62 guns, modified anti-aircraft guns, and Exocet missiles
- 7 in use, bought from the French Navy.
P 269 Lindos
armed with 2 C802 anti-ship missile batteries and AK-630M defensive guns
- 11 in use, another 2 ordered from Ukraine.

Georgian National Guard
Georgian National Guard was established on December 20, 1990 and was manned by volunteers. It represents the first Georgian armed formation, which became the base of the foundation for modern Georgian Armed Forces. The Guard actively participated in the conflicts existed on the Georgian territory (Samachablo, Abkhazia).

The National Guard consists of 20 554 personnel; the main missions of National Guard are:

Support civil government in crisis situations (natural, technological, ecological);
Register mobilization recourses, study and deliver;
Convene, select and man of citizens on the basis of the agreement, for the units, subunits and bases of the Armed Forces;
Provide ceremony activities.

Old 08-09-2008, 12:12 PM
Brigadier General

By the way these figures were gatherd before the conflict with Russia...if the fighting carrys on for another week...just half the numbers above

Old 08-09-2008, 01:33 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrj1000 View Post
By the way these figures were gatherd before the conflict with Russia...if the fighting carrys on for another week...just half the numbers above
if the fighting goes grately beyand Abkahiza or South-Ossetia.
and even in that situation i would say that majority of the force stays
intact.. its the civvies that i'm worried about since the weaponry used
is not that far from the bombs of the 2nd world war.

this thing has just started though. and Russia is using very little
from its military capability in the region.

as the Georgians shot the two russian jets down, i would expect
that moscow will assemble more modern gear to the region
in a matter of days to a week tops.

if this escalates that is.

Old 08-09-2008, 03:32 PM
Major General

Those T55's should come in great for target practice..Well I guess its a step up from T34's

They need to cease fire immediately before its too late!

Old 08-09-2008, 03:57 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas View Post
Those T55's should come in great for target practice..Well I guess its a step up from T34's

hmh.. interesting note there which i therefore leave to be as it is.

anyhows.. the T55 chassis is just exelent at its performance / cost ratio.
we use the stuff bought from polish extra stocks still..
with proper modernization and tuning, the platform is quite capable to handle certain tasks.
we use em to carry AA coverage, bridges and mine clearers.. their potential as an actual
armored unit is minimium at best. the actual armoring would be sub standard to even our own
APCs at most times. so.. if the Georgians have not (beleve me.. everybody who has old russian stuff in their inventory has) modernized / tuned up the vehicles potential..

yes.. target practice at best.

cant se standard T-55 doing much good in modern engagements much more than sitting still and wating to be blowed away by standard light AT weapons.

Still.. tank is a tank untill there are helis flying above or the other guy has a bigger armor or gun in he's.
so far the Russian arsenal sent has been the usual soviet legasy stuff with vastly upgraded
systems.

as i have said years ago and i say again.. never compare the Russian gear to the
cheap Iraqi export stuff. they look the same but in reality they are about
70-100% more deadly.

Last edited by torspo[fin]; 08-09-2008 at 04:07 PM..

Old 08-09-2008, 04:09 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas View Post

I agree..if Russia escalates this conflict..or Georgia dosnt back down.. the Georgian forces will get rolled up..fast..theres no way they can sustain a drawn out conflict with Russia..the Bear is too big

Old 08-09-2008, 04:17 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by torspo[fin] View Post
as i have said years ago and i say again.. never compare the Russian gear to the
cheap Iraqi export stuff. they look the same but in reality they are about
70-100% more deadly.

I agree with you on the Russian gear...it differs big time to the exported stuff....i think most of us on here understand about the Russian upgrades...to the untrained eye a T-72 looks like a T-72...but there cleary are differences.....whitch you have pointed out countless times Torps

But T-55s havent much of a hope....good for certain roles...but in armoured engagment...no chance...if the Georgians deploy them against Russian armour...or even russian Anti-tank units.....all they are going to do is burn..

Old 08-09-2008, 04:48 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrj1000 View Post
I agree with you on the Russian gear...it differs big time to the exported stuff....i think most of us on here understand about the Russian upgrades...to the untrained eye a T-72 looks like a T-72...but there cleary are differences.....whitch you have pointed out countless times Torps

But T-55s havent much of a hope....good for certain roles...but in armoured engagment...no chance...if the Georgians deploy them against Russian armour...or even russian Anti-tank units.....all they are going to do is burn..
Yep. I would imagine that the spine of their armored force relies on their
upgraded T-72. which has GPS navigation and friend or foe system
with thermal illumination gear.

its just self evident that Georgia keeps thease covering the key spots in land.

how ever.. thease tanks are still "export issue" legasy.. so in mechanical
definition, they dont have a chance against the real Russian ones head to head.

Old 08-09-2008, 05:24 PM
Staff Sergeant

I think the Georgians have a high number of Armour,considering the size of its army.The Russians will wipe them out after a period of time,I was watching the News today,and i couldnt tell who was who,the both use the same ****.I hope they know their targets because FF is a risk here

Old 08-09-2008, 05:31 PM
Staff Sergeant

I have a thought,do we arm Georgia?,sound Armour,and maybe some advance surface to air weapons.Can the MIGs they have be fitted with percision weapons,if so why not sell them a few Brimstones,or even storm shaddow,are any of their aircraft a good platform for these?