armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Enlistment Information
User Name
Password

Old 06-16-2008, 09:02 AM
Staff Sergeant

Thanks jrj and Exo, once again I greatly appreciate the advice and ecouragement. Burnout is good advice and I will definitly keep that in mind. I am pretty good at being able to moniter that and listening to my body from my years of weightlifting. But it is difficult, wanting to hit it hard every day because all you think about is that most people who enter it fail. I just want to get to that level as fast as possible.....and beyond, keep pushing, always do that much more the next day.

Day 25
Rest day. Still did situps and pushups 3xfailure.

Day 26
Ran for 1 hour. Felt pretty good. Iced shins afterwards. 3xfailure on pushups and situps

Day 27
Fathers Day, spent it with my 3 lil girls despite it being hard not to train.
3xfailure on pushups and situps. Pushups increased again, as did situps. Starting to do regular pushups on first set, then wide, then narrow.

Two rest days in three days, I will definitly be ready to hit it hard tomorrow. Debating on two a days since my weight lifting program as been on the back burner due to running and rucking. I would possibly lift weights in the morning, and then cardio or rucking in the evening. We will see.

"Too many go in and don't make it, don't be one of them." --Tacky

Old 06-16-2008, 09:06 AM
Staff Sergeant

Send a message via AIM to bunker Send a message via Yahoo to bunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleOne View Post
Thanks jrj and Exo, once again I greatly appreciate the advice and ecouragement. Burnout is good advice and I will definitly keep that in mind. I am pretty good at being able to moniter that and listening to my body from my years of weightlifting. But it is difficult, wanting to hit it hard every day because all you think about is that most people who enter it fail. I just want to get to that level as fast as possible.....and beyond, keep pushing, always do that much more the next day.

Day 25

Day 26
Ran for 1 hour. Felt pretty good. Iced shins afterwards. 3xfailure on pushups and situps

Day 27
3xfailure on pushups and situps. Pushups increased again, as did situps. Starting to do regular pushups on first set, then wide, then narrow.

Two rest days in three days, I will definitly be ready to hit it hard tomorrow. Debating on two a days since my weight lifting program as been on the back burner due to running and rucking. I would possibly lift weights in the morning, and then cardio or rucking in the evening. We will see.
Try doing a set of diamonds in there

Old 06-16-2008, 02:16 PM
General of the Armies

Quote:

Day 25

Day 26

Day 27

Keep the pace mate, and you will be ok once you have time to get to where you need to go... remember, you body will accept a nudge in the right direction, not a kick... so make sure you pace yourself for conditioning without injury...

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"

Old 06-16-2008, 09:41 PM
Staff Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo1 View Post
Keep the pace mate, and you will be ok once you have time to get to where you need to go... remember, you body will accept a nudge in the right direction, not a kick... so make sure you pace yourself for conditioning without injury...
Very true. Thankfully I am pretty fortunate when it comes to injuries. Played sports all my life and not a broken bone in my body (knock on wood). So hopefully thats a plus in my corner.

Day 28

Back
rear lat pulldowns 3x15
front lat pulldowns 3x15
close grip front pulls 3x15
dumbell rows 3x15
standing barbell rows 3x15

Bis
incline bench dumbell curls 3x15
standing bentbar curls 3x15
preacher curls 3x15

decline situps with weight 3xfailure

Rucked for 2 hours at Mahoney State Park with my same 55-60lbs. Holy Cow. That was a workout. Last time we only got 20 minutes into the natural trails (and 20 minutes back due to extreme weather). This time I went an hour one way that entailed numerous steep ravines with streams in them, up and down rocky terrain, under fallen trees, over them, it was an incredible workout. It was exactly what I was looking for and very fortunate I found it on my first State Park (I thought I was going to have to go to a few to find a tough enough hiking trail). Held up pretty good. Just started getting a few hot spots (yeah, forgot my extra pair of dry socks this time...again!). Stopped for 5 minutes to powder up pretty good and let my feet air out. Biggest difference was my feet got really tired and sore, so this will be a wonderful way to condition them. Traps also felt it but I did this right after a good back workout.

I plan on hitting these trails twice a week, then land navigation once a week. I will continue 2 to 2.5 hours this week per ruck, then hit 3 hours next week, 4 the next and so on. I think that will be gradual enough. Big bonus on not getting any blisters with as rough of terrain as it was on. My boots are starting to feel like slippers....I been wearing them everyday.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:00 AM
Brigadier General

Cross country work (with weight) will certainly stand you in good stead for the Army....the British Army....and im sure the US to....puts a lot of emphasise on TABs across country.....it strengthens body and mind....our black taxis are inportant...i remember when things used to get tough....id count my steps to 100 and then go back to one and start again and keep doing that untill it was finished

Remember most who fail....do so mentaly....they tell themselves their body cant go on...and the body belives the mind

if you tell yourself....and convince yourself....I WILL NOT FAIL.....the chances are you wont..it worked for me anyway.....mind over matter

keep up the good work HumbleOne

Old 06-17-2008, 09:36 AM
Brigadier General

Send a message via AIM to Nightflyer
Cool Nice work....

Don't forget flat out runs...Sprints=10> to/ 20 and back/10 to 50 and back /10 to 75 and back /10 to 100 and back.x4 suicide commando drills.Jump rope..Long distance runs (7-10 miler) quick step speed to Extraction Zone..Full pack.

You pack your E-tool? curious?....bring it. Drive on and hard charge brother. Get alittle more Urban Assault in your training? without going to jail.Lol. Gun Range? Get a complete training schedule together that includes all elements of training. Physically and Mentally tough and proficient in all warrior tasks and drills.. You got good boots now...grounded in Army values..

Keep up the good work..We're right there with you...understand?...

Spc. ~ Nighflyer ~ Spec 4 Mafia
Army Aviation Air Assault.
Black berets forever.
U S A

Classic. And we get it.

Posted by... Nightflyer..Go get me a beer....
Posted by Zekos....get me one too b.itch Posted by... Exo1.Haha!!... good man!!.... .........yeah!!.... while your out there get me one too.....Posted by... SniperALpha1Corona with lime is the way to go. CAUSE THAT'S AMERICA *****!Posted by...Zidane Whiskey pl0x.

Last edited by Nightflyer; 06-17-2008 at 09:54 AM..

Old 06-17-2008, 10:14 AM
Staff Sergeant

LOL jrj, kinda like counting sheep when your trying to fall asleep. I will not quit. I have never quit anything in my life, and I pride on that, and I will not start now. I am pretty good and focusing on a task.....let alone when challenged by a very low success rate. I have a lot of ways to motivate myself. But you are correct, this has also really helped strengthen my mind while my body has been weak.

Night...E tool? What is that? And I have acutally been thinking about getting a gun and going to a range and practice my shooting. I just didn't wanna be gung-ho overkill wannabe type guy. But if that will actually help, i will definitly do it.

And yes Bro, I do understand. Everyones support has really helped, and advice......I can't get enough of that.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:25 AM
Brigadier General

Shooting practice will help...and going down the ranges is a good idea..but remember fire exercises in the Army are a different ball game....as long as you done go in with a "Mr know it all attitude youll be fine mate.....

Old 06-17-2008, 12:52 PM
Staff Sergeant

LOL, I am far from a Mr. Knowitall. I enjoy learning different techniques on anything. Then you can choose the best one for yourself.

Any advice on the type of gun I should get?

Old 06-17-2008, 03:07 PM
General of the Armies

Quote:
LOL, I am far from a Mr. Knowitall. I enjoy learning different techniques on anything. Then you can choose the best one for yourself.

Any advice on the type of gun I should get?
If you must get a weapon prior to entry, I would go with AR15 and the Sig Saur or Glock as a side arm. However, its my opinion that learning yourself to shoot is not a good idea, cos you settle into bad habits and when you goto military shooting standards, you have to unlearn and relearn the principles of marksmanship and how to shoot from posture and stance to marksmanship. Get them if you want, but I would hold onto my $$$ if I was you and learn how to shoot the Army way first.. then sure, tool up if you wanna...

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"