armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Basic Training
User Name
Password

Old 06-11-2008, 01:26 PM
Private

Default Can and Can nots

Okay this is pretty simple.

I have yet to receive the list of things I can and can not send my husband while he's at basic, so right now all I am sending are letters, because letters are the safest bet.

My mother sent out a fathers day card, which is okay and all but she also sent him 20 dollars, which I didn't know about until she called -after- she mailed it.

Now, I know he couldn't have more than 50$ when he went to Basic and I know he basically went with like 17$ so it wouldn't push him over 50, -but- I don't know if he's allowed to receive the money since I don't know if the cash he had was kept with his "civilian" things.

I'm certainly not happy about this because my husbands in the weeks of boot camp that are meant to tear you down, and god only knows what his D/S will do (meaning take the money and give him 20, in push ups) but at this point, there's nothing that I can do about it but I'd at least like to know for the future and you know, this could potentially help people who end up in my situation.

Any help and info is appreciated!

-Ash

Old 06-11-2008, 01:42 PM
Staff Sergeant

i dont see why they wouldnt be able to send money especially a small amount to someone while they were in basic the biggest thing that pisses off drill sergeants from what i've heard was one time someone send a recruit a batch of cookies the drill sergeant found them ate all but one of them right in front of the recruit while making him do push ups then let him keep one and told him to thank his mom for sending him the cookies.

i've currently not attended basic but i'm sure someone else will reply to this as well

and i'm sure the ds wont take the money

i would stick to letters they get everything else they need from a shop on base the only thing idk if they can get on base are stamps so if he's running low i don't see why those would be a problem either

Old 06-11-2008, 01:49 PM
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSD1986 View Post
i dont see why they wouldnt be able to send money especially a small amount to someone while they were in basic the biggest thing that pisses off drill sergeants from what i've heard was one time someone send a recruit a batch of cookies the drill sergeant found them ate all but one of them right in front of the recruit while making him do push ups then let him keep one and told him to thank his mom for sending him the cookies.

i've currently not attended basic but i'm sure someone else will reply to this as well

and i'm sure the ds wont take the money

i would stick to letters they get everything else they need from a shop on base the only thing idk if they can get on base are stamps so if he's running low i don't see why those would be a problem either
Yeah, I'm just naturally worried. I'd rather not have anyone add extra stress to my husband while he's in basic and there's no wrath like an army wife's wrath.

And the cookie thing is true. When my bro-in-law joined back in '95, his mom sent him a care package with cookies and candy, his D/S took it and instead of making him eat it, he made the other soldiers eat it in front of him.

Thank you very much for the input!

[edit]

Alrighty! He's right. My brother-in-law (our recruiter and clearly family) confirmed that unless it's massive amounts of money he'll be fine. =D

Loving Dad and Husband - Currently: Basic (Ft. Benning)
Then AIT for his job 25Q

Last edited by ash1185; 06-11-2008 at 02:25 PM..

Old 06-11-2008, 03:11 PM
Brigadier General

Send a message via AIM to Nightflyer
Cool Hooah....

Soldier's helping soldier's...Don't send money till Ait. Here you go...I can help you get the proper unit address if you like. Hit me back (PM ) Your soldier will be the first to rec mail. I was..And ppl only give advice from past experiences..We pride ourselves here giving the correct info and advice...Thanks, anyhow.

Money*

A minimum $10.00 - but No More Than $50.00 in Cash
Traveler's Checks or Money Orders
ATM Card or Personal Checks
*You will be given an advance pay for any required purchases.

Spc. ~ Nightflyer ~ Spec 4 Mafia
Army Air Assault. Blood Wings.
Black berets forever.
U S A

Classic. And we get it.

Posted by... Nightflyer..Go get me a beer....
Posted by Zekos....get me one too b.itch Posted by... Exo1.Haha!!... good man!!.... .........yeah!!.... while your out there get me one too.....Posted by... SniperALpha1Corona with lime is the way to go. CAUSE THAT'S AMERICA *****!Posted by...Zidane Whiskey pl0x.

Last edited by Nightflyer; 06-11-2008 at 04:26 PM..

Old 06-11-2008, 03:50 PM
Brigadier General

Cool

Hey mike 1986

Your joining us?..Outstanding..I'm an 85...Hang in there recruit. Good stuff.

Army Aviation. Air Assault.
Black berets forever.
U S A

Classic. And we get it.

Posted by Zekos....get me one too b.itch Posted by... Exo1.Haha!!... good man!!.... .........yeah!!.... while your out there get me one too.....Posted by... SniperALpha1Corona with lime is the way to go. CAUSE THAT'S AMERICA *****!Posted by...Zidane Whiskey pl0x.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:21 PM
Staff Sergeant

i plan on enlisting next summer since i only have one year of tech school left but its never too early to gain knowledge and start training

Old 06-12-2008, 04:35 PM
Brigadier General

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSD1986 View Post
i plan on enlisting next summer since i only have one year of tech school left but its never too early to gain knowledge and start training
Have you thought about staying in school? then going active? it's the way to go!

Army Aviation. Air Assault.
Black berets forever.
U S A

Classic. And we get it.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:57 PM
Staff Sergeant

yes im finishing school and THEN enlisting

Old 06-13-2008, 11:02 AM
Staff Sergeant

Send a message via AIM to bunker Send a message via Yahoo to bunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash1185 View Post
Yeah, I'm just naturally worried. I'd rather not have anyone add extra stress to my husband while he's in basic and there's no wrath like an army wife's wrath.

And the cookie thing is true. When my bro-in-law joined back in '95, his mom sent him a care package with cookies and candy, his D/S took it and instead of making him eat it, he made the other soldiers eat it in front of him.

Thank you very much for the input!

[edit]

Alrighty! He's right. My brother-in-law (our recruiter and clearly family) confirmed that unless it's massive amounts of money he'll be fine. =D
he may be able to get stamps at the shoppette on base. I was able to at Fort Jackson,SC but each base may be different

Old 06-13-2008, 11:26 AM
Second Lieutenant

I always sent stamps and envelopes because then he didn't have any excuses. I also sent him some pictures, he took a little grief for them but he was glad to get them.