armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Army.com General Discussions > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

  #11  
Old 03-14-2008, 07:26 PM
MSG Glenn's Avatar
MSG Glenn MSG Glenn is offline
Brigadier General
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 2,729
Default

Medics do have a tendency to put their butts in harm's way.
__________________
Proud Dad of a USArmy Ranger SFC - 3/75 Rangers
USNavy 1960-1966 Submarine Service, Navy Diver-UDT 21
USArmy 1980-2001 Airborne Infantry,G3, Army Instructor, Commo Instructor Company 1SG
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old 03-14-2008, 07:48 PM
venomspit's Avatar
venomspit venomspit is offline
Private
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oregon, =U*S*A=
Posts: 11
Send a message via Yahoo to venomspit
Default

And i bet they are loved from head to two. I sure appreciate them and their bravery.
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old 03-15-2008, 05:46 AM
Tacky Tacky is offline
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: US
Posts: 1,520
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by venomspit View Post
Thanks for your suggestions. I have been working on what I want for 2 years now. And have spoken to all branches of Military. I have been working on getting on the local PD for some time now. And After speaking with my long time friend who is currently a Jackson County Sheriff Deputy and Team Instructor of the Swat Team. He confirmed with me that from his experience with the department and others in the area look at a Military MP highly and respectfully. Reasons are due to work experience. He indicated to me they will count from the day I go to boot camp until the day I change jobs or get out as on-the-job experience. And the hiring process will be parallel. Though Infantry is also liked, it lacks the job experience. My starting pay would be a veterans pay instead of entry level.

As for bonus, there is a max bonus (4 yr enlistment) for MP in 31 Bravo that I qualify for ($40,000). Army's quota for MP's have been falling short for a few years now. Due to my high ASVAB scores I also get to pick where to be stationed. Including qualifying for the Army College fund on top of the GI-Bill.

I have always wanted to be a LEO, and a Soldier. So trust me when I say, I am getting exactly what I want and I am confident that I will have no problems what so ever in job acceptance to our local PD's.

Thank you again for your suggestions and advice regarding BMT.

Question: Where can I get an idea of what is needed to be done regarding the Army Physical Readiness Test?

Counting your MP experience as OJT for a civilian LE job?? That is pretty irresponsible and dangerous, I hope I never need a cop in your area. But as we all know, PDs and SOs are not all equal, some have lower standards and requirements than others.

As for being an MP in the military, if it's what you want you'll love it. It's not an action job, but it gets you out and there are some interesting assignments that are possible to get through it (K9 for example).

I have never heard of anyone getting station of choice based on ASVAB scores, and I have known people with perfect scores. A high score allows you to choose any job you wish, but really has nothing to do with where you will be stationed once you pick your MOS. Sounds very fishy to me .. and if this is a promise you have been made, I suggest you get it in writing stated very clearly.

As for the ACF, you will need to make certain that too is in clear writing or you won't get it. They occasionally like to leave that part out of the contract, even though one qualifies due to the MOS they are choosing.
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old 03-15-2008, 05:51 AM
Tacky Tacky is offline
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: US
Posts: 1,520
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by venomspit View Post
Thanks, I feel I'm gonna need it. I assume Boot camp will be one of the biggest challenges to go through. But mentally I am ready.

You'll go through OSUT for MPs. It's at Ft. Leonardwood, MO. About the hardest thing you'll have to contend with these days, thanks to new touchy feely regulations are the mosquitos and heat if you go in the summer. If you're in shape, everything else will fall into place fairly easily.

You mentioned being Airborne, there's really no reason to be Airborne as an MP unless you just want the badge and to be able to jump every once in awhile for the extra pay. The pay for static isn't bad, so if you can handle a few jumps every so often and can get a slot in your contract, I would recommend it.
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old 03-15-2008, 12:06 PM
venomspit's Avatar
venomspit venomspit is offline
Private
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oregon, =U*S*A=
Posts: 11
Send a message via Yahoo to venomspit
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacky View Post
Counting your MP experience as OJT for a civilian LE job?? That is pretty irresponsible and dangerous, I hope I never need a cop in your area. But as we all know, PDs and SOs are not all equal, some have lower standards and requirements than others.

As for being an MP in the military, if it's what you want you'll love it. It's not an action job, but it gets you out and there are some interesting assignments that are possible to get through it (K9 for example).

I have never heard of anyone getting station of choice based on ASVAB scores, and I have known people with perfect scores. A high score allows you to choose any job you wish, but really has nothing to do with where you will be stationed once you pick your MOS. Sounds very fishy to me .. and if this is a promise you have been made, I suggest you get it in writing stated very clearly.

As for the ACF, you will need to make certain that too is in clear writing or you won't get it. They occasionally like to leave that part out of the contract, even though one qualifies due to the MOS they are choosing.

You'll go through OSUT for MPs. It's at Ft. Leonardwood, MO. About the hardest thing you'll have to contend with these days, thanks to new touchy feely regulations are the mosquitos and heat if you go in the summer. If you're in shape, everything else will fall into place fairly easily.

You mentioned being Airborne, there's really no reason to be Airborne as an MP unless you just want the badge and to be able to jump every once in awhile for the extra pay. The pay for static isn't bad, so if you can handle a few jumps every so often and can get a slot in your contract, I would recommend it.
Yes they all in my area from Oregon State Police, Southern Oregon PD's, N. Cal. PD's, and lastly California Highway Patrol are all who I have spoken too and consider MP (active) experience is On the Job Experience. So if you think that is irresponsible and dangerous. I suggest you not coming to the west coast. You shouldn't be so naive to think that just because they take consideration for those who were MP's in the Military are irresponsible and dangerous PD's. I don't understand your logic or factual foundation for debate. If you disagree with it, please visit your local City counsel and raise an issue for change in your neighborhood. Cause I can bet your local PD does too regardless of what you say here.

As for excitement... I have my snowboard, Paraglider, Hiking boots, Kayak, 7 man whitewater raft, Rock climbing harness and soon to be Sky diving and Scuba diving. MP and the Army is a career move NOT a shot of adrenaline.

I was told that my college ed., ASVAB, qualified me for being able to pick anywhere I want to be stationed. I'm not to entirely sure I understand what it means or when I use this ability. But that is what I was told. So unless I am being fed a bunch of misguided crap. I don't see any reason why I can't assume this to be true. I was told this by 1stSgt. Duren. I am not sure where I have to go to train for my MOS. I was definitely told I could not choose it.

There is a good reason to be Airborne. It is because I can, its really that simple. Why not? And if I can do HALO, you bet your *** I will try for that too. I don't see what my MOS has anything to do with any possible fun experience I can gain from the Army. Plus, I was told the Base in Italy only accepts Airborne MP's if I ever wanted to be stationed there. And I like to have my options open.

So with all this said. I read your comments as a bit negative and close minded. I hope you understand my response is only to beat down this language. Because once again, I know exactly what I want to do. And as long as my family is happy and supports me. That is all that matters to me. And trust me, I will make sure it is all written in writing. Remember I'm 33 and have nothing to loose. So if they don't give me what I want, then the army is one less MP. So we all good here?
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old 03-15-2008, 12:19 PM
Nightflyer's Avatar
Nightflyer Nightflyer is offline
Brigadier General
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: 7th and 33rd " Home of the Show"
Posts: 2,372
Send a message via AIM to Nightflyer
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by venomspit View Post
Thank you! Your words are good for my confidence! I feel I can offer quite a lot to the Army. And hope for the chance.
Cool Spit. In short-.Your get your chance. Your ready...I can tell. Im 22 and as a kid ...I had fun stirring up trouble at my pop's. 1-///th. I owned the shop/pad. I had fun running around the floors of the bays and can tell you on a time which blackbirds are still in use from Nam days with the most service and flight times hrs..The Crewchiefs and Drivers and teams who ride them. The Infantry.... I would run across the hangers to the back and upstairs to Filght Ops, The pilot's breifing room.The weight and training areas...and the shop. Where I like working on my Harley..lol..

But the best place in the world is "The Back Pad" and the "Team Bench"..Out through the hangers and out of the shop.. F K 'in ' "Awesome"......Hooah.

The Army's has been very good to me...and It's my career and I making the most out of it. Take advantage of everything..I knew my contract a long time ago.. It's Cool..You caught "Top.. Ex, and Msg Glenn" at the same time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacky View Post
You mentioned being Airborne, there's really no reason to be Airborne as an MP unless you just want the badge and to be able to jump every once in awhile for the extra pay. The pay for static isn't bad, so if you can handle a few jumps every so often and can get a slot in your contract, I would recommend it.
..."Top'.. makes two excellent points...
The first - about getting out...Working and doing some intresting assignments. I can tell you working Flying missions and military operations as a Team. Some damn cool work...I freaking love being a Dogg. MP's do cool work. When your sycked about your job. You can't beat it..Nothing like it in the world.

The second - about jumping for your Airborn Badge and the pay not being too bad. I ask you....How can you beat it? .....Awesome.


Quote:
Originally Posted by venomspit View Post
Thanks, I feel I'm gonna need it. I assume Boot camp will be one of the biggest challenges to go through. But mentally I am ready.

Piece of cake..Your ready.You'll fit in.. I had the honor of winning the Army's APFT Award..// times at bct and AAS..I posted about it somewhere. It's around if you need it. A little over the top but it's good stuff. I had the honor of earning my Blood Wings. Cherrie no more. I'm jumping. Im going to be the first in my family to wear the Airborne badge and the Silver Pilots Wings....

VenomSpit..Welcome to our Army.



Spc. Nightflyer. Spec 4 Mafia
Army Aviation Air Assualt.
Black berets forever
.
__________________
The Broadwayblues / New York Yankees
Sacred Heart University-Division 1 Men's Ice hockey.
Army Avaition
U S A


Classic. And we get it.

Posted by... Nightflyer..Go get me a beer....
Posted by Zekos....get me one too b.itch Posted by... Exo1.Haha!!... good man!!.... .........yeah!!.... while your out there get me one too.....Posted by... SniperALpha1Corona with lime is the way to go. CAUSE THAT'S AMERICA *****!Posted by...Zidane Whiskey pl0x.

__________________

Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old 03-15-2008, 07:33 PM
Nightflyer's Avatar
Nightflyer Nightflyer is offline
Brigadier General
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: 7th and 33rd " Home of the Show"
Posts: 2,372
Send a message via AIM to Nightflyer
Cool How high can you fly.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by venomspit View Post
So with all this said. I read your comments as a bit negative and close minded. I hope you understand my response is only to beat down this language. Because once again, I know exactly what I want to do. And as long as my family is happy and supports me. That is all that matters to me. And trust me, I will make sure it is all written in writing. Remember I'm 33 and have nothing to loose. So if they don't give me what I want, then the army is one less MP. So we all good here?
"With all do respect"..I can think of 4 things to lose. Objective and the Mission is 1st and 2nd. The other 2...Your a civie. So I'll let it go..

Tacky, is a career active series x18 Soldier who has knowledge and experience in SF's Operations, around the world..Second to none. Our units always have a pre-determined default method for initiating attacks and solutions to problems that could arise.He's the boss..

He is the leadership skill that = "Top". Tactical S/F's Operations “game-planner”. The units follows when conducting tactical operations. A First Sergeant (E-8), who is the top ranking NCO in a company size unit. Be patient..he's out there working now. And yeah, it's cool. Lol...Join us....

Spc. Nightflyer. Spc 4 Mafia
Army Aviation Air Assualt.
Black berets forever.
__________________
The Broadwayblues / New York Yankees
Sacred Heart University-Division 1 Men's Ice hockey.
Army Avaition
U S A


Classic. And we get it.

Posted by... Nightflyer..Go get me a beer....
Posted by Zekos....get me one too b.itch Posted by... Exo1.Haha!!... good man!!.... .........yeah!!.... while your out there get me one too.....Posted by... SniperALpha1Corona with lime is the way to go. CAUSE THAT'S AMERICA *****!Posted by...Zidane Whiskey pl0x.

__________________

Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old 03-16-2008, 05:13 AM
Exo1's Avatar
Exo1 Exo1 is offline
General of the Armies
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ireland (Ex Irish Army)
Posts: 10,457
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by venomspit View Post
I read your comments as a bit negative and close minded.
Venom, you will find Tacky always has a factual basis to his comments, and if he upsets you, bear in mind from one who was trained old school, that I find him to be refreshingly honest and forthright.. unlike the PC metrosexuals that seem to reign supreme these days.. which brings me to my final point, good for you that you know what you want, but if you carry a sensitive attitude with you into training, you will get it walked on and will not succeed... a little mental toughness is required to get by in the Army.....
__________________
"Barrel High, Powder Dry!"

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"
Reply With Quote

  #19  
Old 03-16-2008, 01:55 PM
Tacky Tacky is offline
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: US
Posts: 1,520
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by venomspit View Post
Yes they all in my area from Oregon State Police, Southern Oregon PD's, N. Cal. PD's, and lastly California Highway Patrol are all who I have spoken too and consider MP (active) experience is On the Job Experience. So if you think that is irresponsible and dangerous. I suggest you not coming to the west coast. You shouldn't be so naive to think that just because they take consideration for those who were MP's in the Military are irresponsible and dangerous PD's. I don't understand your logic or factual foundation for debate. If you disagree with it, please visit your local City counsel and raise an issue for change in your neighborhood. Cause I can bet your local PD does too regardless of what you say here.
CHP doesn't consider prior Military Police service as OJT. You'd still be earning your worth like everyone else with an FTO after the academy which will be your OJT. Any other reputable department will do the same. We have several National Guard Special Forces members on CHP and other departments on the West Coast, your claims don't fly. You are either lying, of you've been fed the largest pile of BS ever, and happily swallowed it.

As I have already said, military law and civilian law are not the same. PDs look favorably on military service in general, having been an MP will not help you get the leg up against anyone else. Regardless, prior military must start at entry level in any reputable department, Local, County or State.

Quote:
I was told that my college ed., ASVAB, qualified me for being able to pick anywhere I want to be stationed. I'm not to entirely sure I understand what it means or when I use this ability. But that is what I was told. So unless I am being fed a bunch of misguided crap. I don't see any reason why I can't assume this to be true. I was told this by 1stSgt. Duren. I am not sure where I have to go to train for my MOS. I was definitely told I could not choose it.
Yes, it's smart to blindly trust your recruiter. I already told you where you'll train for your MOS, if you paid attention, you'd know. Better work on that attention to detail thing.

Quote:
There is a good reason to be Airborne. It is because I can, its really that simple. Why not? And if I can do HALO, you bet your *** I will try for that too. I don't see what my MOS has anything to do with any possible fun experience I can gain from the Army. Plus, I was told the Base in Italy only accepts Airborne MP's if I ever wanted to be stationed there. And I like to have my options open.
You are not going to get HALO as an MP. Sorry. We have SF guys that have been trying to go that are waiting on slots. Another badge finder in the Army .. oh joy.

Quote:
So with all this said. I read your comments as a bit negative and close minded. I hope you understand my response is only to beat down this language. Because once again, I know exactly what I want to do. And as long as my family is happy and supports me. That is all that matters to me. And trust me, I will make sure it is all written in writing. Remember I'm 33 and have nothing to loose. So if they don't give me what I want, then the army is one less MP. So we all good here?
It's odd how you took everything I said so personally and with such emotion. I suggest you get that out of your system right now. You are not joining the Boy Scouts, you are joining the Army .. and though most support MOSes are touchy feely these days, you still need a little thickness to your skin. I won't grab your balls and stroke them, so if you're expecting that ... get your ruck and move out.

Last edited by Tacky; 03-16-2008 at 02:04 PM..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:36 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    
·Contact Us   ·Legal   ·Privacy   ·Link To Us    ·Advertise With Us    ·About Us    ·Site Map     
     Copyright 2004-2019 Activv, LLC. All rights reserved. Armyreal.com is a service provided by Activv.
This website is not affiliated, endorsed, authorized, or associated in any way with any government, military or country.