armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Basic Training
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

  #1  
Old 05-11-2009, 12:19 PM
JBizo's Avatar
JBizo JBizo is offline
First Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 809
Default Words of advice for BCT.

Well the time is approaching rapidly. 20090610 I will be shipping to Ft. Knox, KY for BCT.

I know what I need to bring and what not to bring and all that jazz. Basically I know what BCT will be like with a lot of hurry up and wait at first...followed by some intrusive medical stuff and then a lot of physical/mental stress.

Just wanting some general advice on how to approach things to help get me through. I would like some philosphy in terms of how things work. It will help me get through it.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old 05-11-2009, 02:37 PM
reconmedik's Avatar
reconmedik reconmedik is offline
Sergeant First Class
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 187
Default Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBizo View Post
Well the time is approaching rapidly. 20090610 I will be shipping to Ft. Knox, KY for BCT.

I know what I need to bring and what not to bring and all that jazz. Basically I know what BCT will be like with a lot of hurry up and wait at first...followed by some intrusive medical stuff and then a lot of physical/mental stress.

Just wanting some general advice on how to approach things to help get me through. I would like some philosphy in terms of how things work. It will help me get through it.

Thanks in advance.
HEAD DOWN....MOUTH SHUT....EAR'S OPEN...LESSON COMPLETE!!! WHAT ARE YOUR QUESTIONS?

As far as the "intrusive medical" stuff, just look for the Dr. with the shortest fingers and smallest knuckles!!!!!
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 05-11-2009, 02:42 PM
JBizo's Avatar
JBizo JBizo is offline
First Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 809
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmedik View Post
HEAD DOWN....MOUTH SHUT....EAR'S OPEN...LESSON COMPLETE!!! WHAT ARE YOUR QUESTIONS?

As far as the "intrusive medical" stuff, just look for the Dr. with the shortest fingers and smallest knuckles!!!!!
LMFAO @ the smallest knuckles!

What I meant by my original post was. What should I say to myself each day as I wake that will keep me motivated, focused, and in the right frame of mind. I mean, basic is all about breaking and rebuilding each recruit. So, just as the DS has a method to do so...what would my method or motto be?

Oh, and about the medical stuff. I'm a fairly tough guy when it comes to most things..but I am a lil sissy when it comes to needles. Especially the one full of penicillin that they are gonna jab in my rear.
__________________
Johnny B
Ship Date: 20090610
MOS: 25N - Nodal Network Systems Op./Maintainer
BCT/AIT: Ft. Knox, KY/Ft. Gordon, GA
"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win." -Sun Tzu
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 05-11-2009, 03:47 PM
raynate2022 raynate2022 is offline
Corporal
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Spokane, Wa
Posts: 32
Default

I'm right with you, needles make me run, Haha. But Haven't being to BCT myself yet, the only advice I can give is what I've read. Just do what your told as soon as you're told to do it and keep telling yourself that thought this may be the worst thing you've ever been though, you will come out of it a much better person both mentally and physically. And best of luck to you!
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 05-11-2009, 03:47 PM
Gunbunny13's Avatar
Gunbunny13 Gunbunny13 is offline
First Sergeant
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 269
Default

The first thing you need to remember is, your not alone. There will a whole platoon of guys who think that they are the only one being yelled at, deprived of sleep, starved, it goes on and on. There are only 24 hours in a day and you get to sleep for 8 of those. You will get through it. There is nothing going on there that hundreds of thousands haven't already done before you got there. They did it, you can too.
Some things you should know are, Ft. Knox gets hot and humid in the summer. The Ohio river is less than 10 miles north as the crow flies from post. The soil is red, Wilson Rd is the street you'll be looking at, the barrack's are older but, the training is state of the art and up to date.
DON'T PANIC!
__________________
"Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . ."
Napoleon Bonaparte
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 05-11-2009, 03:54 PM
JBizo's Avatar
JBizo JBizo is offline
First Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 809
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunbunny13 View Post
The first thing you need to remember is, your not alone. There will a whole platoon of guys who think that they are the only one being yelled at, deprived of sleep, starved, it goes on and on. There are only 24 hours in a day and you get to sleep for 8 of those. You will get through it. There is nothing going on there that hundreds of thousands haven't already done before you got there. They did it, you can too.
Some things you should know are, Ft. Knox gets hot and humid in the summer. The Ohio river is less than 10 miles north as the crow flies from post. The soil is red, Wilson Rd is the street you'll be looking at, the barrack's are older but, the training is state of the art and up to date.
DON'T PANIC!
Yeah, thats what I tell myself when I think of the few things I know are coming that I am not too thrilled about. Other people did it...people I know too and sme of them I would even consider bigger sissies than myself.

For the most part, I can handle being yelled at, my father broke me in pretty damn well. The hot and humid is no problem. I live in FL so hot and humid is normal.

What do you mean by the bolded though?
__________________
Johnny B
Ship Date: 20090610
MOS: 25N - Nodal Network Systems Op./Maintainer
BCT/AIT: Ft. Knox, KY/Ft. Gordon, GA
"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win." -Sun Tzu
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 05-12-2009, 07:58 AM
MSG Glenn's Avatar
MSG Glenn MSG Glenn is offline
Brigadier General
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 2,729
Default

Pay strict attention to detail. Listen very carefully to what your DS says in his calm, sweet , kind voice.
__________________
Proud Dad of a USArmy Ranger SFC - 3/75 Rangers
USNavy 1960-1966 Submarine Service, Navy Diver-UDT 21
USArmy 1980-2001 Airborne Infantry,G3, Army Instructor, Commo Instructor Company 1SG
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 05-12-2009, 09:11 AM
Gunbunny13's Avatar
Gunbunny13 Gunbunny13 is offline
First Sergeant
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 269
Default

The only other thing I can suggest is to try not to get a bunk close to or looking straight at the door.

as for your question, I'm an Artillery NCO, I always have a good sense of North. The Ohio River is a pretty good landmark.
__________________
"Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . ."
Napoleon Bonaparte
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 05-12-2009, 01:12 PM
68Whiskey's Avatar
68Whiskey 68Whiskey is offline
First Sergeant
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Coral Springs, Florida
Posts: 211
Default

You will be fine man. Just try to picture yourself after AIT. That's gonna be my motivational tool.
__________________
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old 05-12-2009, 02:22 PM
StrawberryShortcake StrawberryShortcake is offline
Second Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Davie, Florida
Posts: 667
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBizo View Post
LMFAO @ the smallest knuckles!

What I meant by my original post was. What should I say to myself each day as I wake that will keep me motivated, focused, and in the right frame of mind. I mean, basic is all about breaking and rebuilding each recruit. So, just as the DS has a method to do so...what would my method or motto be?

Oh, and about the medical stuff. I'm a fairly tough guy when it comes to most things..but I am a lil sissy when it comes to needles. Especially the one full of penicillin that they are gonna jab in my rear.
Think "I'm going to have a six pack. **** yeah!"
"girls like men in uniform! **** yeah!"
"This is going to look hella good on a job application."
"Sex is going to be awesome after months of being deprived of everything but my hand!"
__________________
"Virtue is never left to stand alone. He who has it will have neighbors." - Confucius
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." - James Dean
"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:34 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    
·Contact Us   ·Legal   ·Privacy   ·Link To Us    ·Advertise With Us    ·About Us    ·Site Map     
     Copyright 2004-2019 Activv, LLC. All rights reserved. Armyreal.com is a service provided by Activv.
This website is not affiliated, endorsed, authorized, or associated in any way with any government, military or country.