armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Army.com General Discussions > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password

Old 05-17-2009, 09:59 AM
Corporal

Send a message via Yahoo to bgd8rd
Default New to Army.com, could use some advice.

Just wanted to say hello to everyone. I have some questions and figured this would be as good a place as any to place them.

I almost finished with my first deployment. By the time we get back to Bragg and leave is all said and done with I'll have about four months left in the Army of my three year contract, that includes my terminal leave. So I'm looking to be on terminal leave right around the new year.

I don't much enjoy the Army, I don't like my MOS of 14T (Patriot) and the unit I'm with is lacking. I've gathered these thoughts myself but then though what do I have anything to base these thoughts on since this is my first unit. I then asked others that have been in the army for a while and multiple units and they confirmed my thoughts.

A lot of me wants to get out of the army and be able to do my own thing again. Then there is the other side that thinks I should stay in the army/military in some capacity. I'll be 30 when I ETS from the army and don't have a lot of years left trying to start a career. I know the economy isn't where it should be and I do have a new baby and wife. So here's the million dollar question. Do I stay in and go officer? I came in with a bachelors degree but decided to go enlisted to get the student loan repayment program.

To put in a officer packet I have to have 18 months left in service which I do not. I do not want to reenlist or extend to do this. Should I get out and then speak with a recruiter about going officer and go straight to OCS and be an O1-E? Also what are the chances they'll put me right back into Patriot land seeing I was enlisted for three years at 14T? I've done nothing Patriot since coming out of AIT. I got to Bragg and we had all nonfunctional equipment, so all we did was hangout at the motor pool and not do much of anything, then they ship me to Iraq to do detainee operations for 15 months. Once we get back we won't be doing anything Patriot either because everyone will be going their own way, schools, pcs, ets, change of command and so on.

Can anyone give me some good advice? Thanks!

Old 05-17-2009, 10:03 AM
Second Lieutenant

Welcome to the forums

I can't answer any of your questions though... So my only advice would be to follow your heart. Ask yourself where you see yourself and your family being happiest.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:38 AM
Corporal

Thanks, I hope someone can give me some good advice.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:38 AM
Sergeant

Send a message via Yahoo to I Luv My Solider

Thats a decision my little brother is trying to make also, my best advice to you would be to go to an recruiter and ask them those questions they might be able. My fiance is planning on going active duty in the army (he is currently in the Army National Guard), the recruiter said that its hard to change your MOS but not impossible.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:40 AM
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgd8rd View Post
Thanks, I hope someone can give me some good advice.
There are members on here who always give great advice when it comes to these types of things..

Like I Luv My Soldier just said, seeing a recruiter and asking these questions is a good idea.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:23 AM
Captain

Ultimately only you can answer the questions you asked.

But here are some things to ponder as you make your decision. If you are considering coming back in you don't really dislike the Army that much. It's hard when you have only been in one unit and like you said have nothing really to compare it to. Asking others isn't always a good thing because they have their own reasons and you never know what their experience have been. My husband is currently in a unit that we cannot get out of fast enough. I feel bad for the Soldiers that have only been in that unit who are discouraged and hate the military because there is so much more out there.

My advice is not to let this one stint cloud your opinion of what Army life is like. If you really want to do the officer route, then I would suggest dropping your OCS packet and extending. The reason I say that is because through that you ensure job security for that new baby and wife of yours. If you got out what would be your plan while waiting to get in? It's not always so easy to get out and then try and come back in. Prior Service does not always have priority and the wait time can be lengthy. By extending and dropping the packet you insure yourself that you still have pay and benefits.

My brother was a 14 series and didn't enjoy it much either. And to answer your question about being stuck in the same field as an officer, the chances of that are slim although it could happen.

Talk over with your wife what is best for your family and good luck!

Old 05-17-2009, 11:39 AM
Corporal

While it might be the best thing, I really seriously doubt I'll extend. I will not extend to stay in this unit and peoples. I am far from perfect and will be the first to admit. I've read that it might take up to one year for a OCS packet to be accepted then six months before you get a school date. No way in heck I have it in me to stick it out that long where I'm currently at. Thanks for the advice. I hope it keeps coming!

Old 05-17-2009, 06:05 PM
Brigadier General

If you could extend or reenlist for the express purpose of going to OCS & you had it written in your contract would you do it? What I can tell you is that there is a minimum time you have to serve after getting your commission unless there's some sort of program that allows you to serve in the Reserve for a certain length of time.

It's a cold world out there. Many people that I refer to USAREC are in their 30s & some even 40ish who have lost jobs & can't find anything. Some have bachelor's & master's degrees which really isn't doing them any good if no jobs are available.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Last edited by MSG Glenn; 05-19-2009 at 05:58 AM..

Old 05-18-2009, 12:47 AM
Corporal

Smile

I am intrigued! Please do explain more, you've got my attention. How does it work and so on? Thanks for your help.

Old 05-18-2009, 05:35 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgd8rd View Post
I am intrigued! Please do explain more, you've got my attention. How does it work and so on? Thanks for your help.
All you have to do is contact your Career Counselor or possibly the S1. Either should be able to steer you in the right direction.
You've served as an enlisted man in an underutelized MOS in a dirt bag unit why not do it as an officer & at least have a say about discipline n your own platoon as PL.

At least you should have entered the army as a SPC with your Bachelor's. Now take advantage of the next benefit your degree can offer.

If you have 18 months until ETS and the packet takes six months to a year to go through I'd say that the timing is just right.

Get cracking & get that packet in.

Now would an old Bragg hand give you bum advice??
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.