armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Army.com General Discussions > Suggestions & Feedback
User Name
Password

Old 03-24-2009, 09:28 AM
Recruit

Question 18B at 39yoa?

Hello everyone, i have a question? Im looking into the Texas National Guard and very interested in 18B (Special Forces Weapon Sgt.). I have worked in law enforcement for over 13 yrs and its time for a change and to serve in a differnt capacity. I am 39 and in reasonable shape. I have attended active shooter schools and trained with the Feds.

At my age, am i too old for this? How many of you have gone in at my age?

Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 03-24-2009, 10:10 AM
Brigadier General

I think you might be too old for SF, possibly even Rangers, Mike. Being in reasonable shape just doesn't cut it. You have to be in world class athlete shape.

In getting an SF contract you'd need to get MOS 18X. You notice the "X"? They'll usually put you in the MOS that's needed by them, not your choice. You still have to go to Infantry School first with an 18X contract.

You still have a couple of years to think it over. You're not too old. I went back in the sevice at age 38 & went Airborne Infantry. They told me it couldn't be done but I proved them wrong. Fotunately I had earned my jump wing during the 6 years I was in the Navy.

Tacky will be on here soon, I'm sure, to set you straight. He's a SF MSG (unless he got promoted).

MSG Glenn
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:51 PM
Recruit

I am not worried about getting into great shape, the body adapts to what you put it through. True that younger is easier! I was thinking a slightly older person with some world experiance would be of some help?

Thank you for your info.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:32 PM
Brigadier General

Experience would help a lot, Mike. The only trouble would be passing the 17-21 age group PT test you're required to take before you're even allowed to take any SpecOps training. Not only passing it be passing it with a score of 70%. Fail the test & you're out. I'm not sure about SF but in the Rangers they have to maintain a score of 80% to stay there. Of course that's minimum. Most either ace it or come very close. In my son's squad the lowest score was 90%.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:24 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txmike View Post
Hello everyone, i have a question? Im looking into the Texas National Guard and very interested in 18B (Special Forces Weapon Sgt.). I have worked in law enforcement for over 13 yrs and its time for a change and to serve in a differnt capacity. I am 39 and in reasonable shape. I have attended active shooter schools and trained with the Feds.

With the Guard you'll be looking at the REP-63 contract. Pretty much the same as the 18X, but only for the Guard componet. Some states require you have a "feeder" MOS, if your state does this, head this advice: if 18B is what you want .. I highly advise you do not choose standard 11B to be your feeder MOS. Look at something like 25U (communications) .. 11B isn't going to prep you for SF training, so do something that will give you some worthwhile knowledge.

Now to address the point of your post:

Are you too old to just be starting out in SF? Yes, you are.

Can your goal be accomplished? Yes, it can. It's not likely, but if that scares you away SF probably isn't for you anyway.

You need to be realistic, however. Reasonable shape won't cut it for a 20 year old .. it's even worse for a 39 year old. You need to be stronger and harder than your younger counter parts when you come in because it's going to take you much longer to recover.

It doesn't happen a lot, but I've seen guys your age or close come through Selection and the Q and make it .. but think about how long you'll actually spend on a team before it's time to move on due to your old soon to be broke *** body just getting tired. I don't say that to deter you, just to ensure you know that's how the cards could fall. Everyone takes that risk to a certain degree, regardless of age .. but it's greater for the elderly.

Everyone that's a member of an SF team brings something to the table, regardless of their civilian backgrounds. We have everything from Feds to miscreants. It's what you put into learning and doing your job and into the team that counts. Training with the feds isn't something I'd go around telling anyone either, that just means you were taught wrong and we'll have to "relearn" you.

If you can get yourself into shape, you have the mental toughness and stubborness to push yourself even when your body quits and you want to do this more than anything else ... go for it. Just go in with eyes open and be realistic.

The benefit to NG SF is that the units can hold try-outs. You'll attend a drill, do a short selection course and you'll know where you are and where you need to be. If they like you, they'll work with you and get you up to par before they send you off to Selection.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:03 PM
Recruit

I know two older National Guard guys who went active and tried the SF route. One was a former 13F Ranger and 41, he did not make make selection.

The other guy was kind of a clown (and a friend of mine ) and about 36
, who had been a cannon ****er in the 82nd.... he did make it and is currently in SF.

The funny part is that the guy who didnt make it was a 300 APFT Ranger with plenty of ego to match and the guy that did make it was just a regular Joe, a good soldier but not a self proclaimed stud by any means. The dude that was successful did make a pretty damn Herculean effort at getting ready though.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:43 PM
Recruit

Tacky,

Damn...you called me "elderly"........worse than my kids! LOL

Thanks for the input guys.....im still kicking it around and wanted some advice.

Elderly.....crap im not even 40 yet!!

Old 03-24-2009, 09:42 PM
Corporal

SF is a career endeavor.
It is not an adventure exercise.
Getting your foot in the door and even making it thru selection is only the berginning of a long process.
They need folks who can and will stick with it.

My time in group was long ago and things have changed immensly.
I keep up with goings on and can only say today's guys are truly awsome professionals.

Old 04-05-2009, 01:25 PM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txmike View Post

Some awesome advise from Glenn & Tacky... good luck with your decision...

Exo..

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"