armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Army.com General Discussions > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password

Old 03-25-2009, 06:21 AM
Brigadier General

Scooby & Scout,

I wish you all the best. Thanks for your service past & future. I hope the time goes fast for you. Stay safe. God Bless & watch over you & your families.

This is exactly why my son joined a Reserve unit before he left active duty with the 3rd Ranger Batt. He didn't mind the possibilty of getting called up, just the disruption in his schooling. There should have been a Reserve or Guard recruiter talking to you before you got out. My son got a $10,000 bonus & a guarantee not to deploy for 2 years on a 3 year contract. Had he spent one day outside of active duty he would't have qualified. Now he gets paid for his Reserve duty & is a weapons instructor with a BCT/Infantry OSUT training unit in the 95th Div. Not exactly Army Ranger but at least within his MOS.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:34 AM
Private

Default Scoutout and family

That is so Ironic you say that. I have a 4 year old daughter and a 2 month old son. I know it will be rough, but the time will go quick, as it is not, I can't belive next week is the first of April already and the bulbs are starting to sprout. Time must be going faster as I get older or maybe its the lack of sleep from the newborn. Whatever happens I know God will be with us and our families. I will keep yall posted on the DDE. Also, Thanks MSG for your thoughts and prayers.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:18 AM
Recruit

Default Scoobydusky

Yes we are in the same boat along for the same hard ride. Yes the time will go by fast, and I know our families are stronger than most. I just want to know when? what? where? we will be going, so our families have some answers and dont have to worry as much. Its hard to explaine to a 4 year old that daddy has to go away for a year and not have any answers to all his questions.

MSGGLENN. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. We sure do welcome them all and any information you have for us.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:58 PM
Recruit

I was in the army for 3 years as a 11c, I have been out for 4 years and have one year left on my contract. I received orders a month ago to report to Ft. Jackson April 19th and will be attached to this same Nevada Guard unit. There is another guy that I was in with, went through basic with him and did all 3 years with him. He got orders for the same unit also. It's looking like a 9month deployment to the Laghman province in Afghanistan. The unit has been at Ft. Irwin since Jan. training. Looks like I'll see all you guys in SC.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:11 PM
Private

Default 1/221 Cav

I agree. It would be a relief to me and my family to know get answers to the basics - when? where? how long?

But, I am glad to know that there are others of us out there in similar situations. I'm upping my workout regiment so I'll be ready for whatever they throw at us.

See ya guys in Ft. Jackson on the 19th!!

Old 03-25-2009, 05:51 PM
Recruit

I am in the same boat with you all. I am a Sgt who has been out for a little over 2 years and will be reporting to Fort Benning on April 5 and then to report to 1/221. I did two tours...one to Iraq in 05-06 and one to Afghanistan in 03-04. Both were with the 10th Mountain Division. I am 11B and look forward to working with a bunch of high speed people hopefully. I just hope I am not stuck behind a desk. Last time we went to Afghan. I was a M240 gunner and did I dont know how many fly in raids or walk several miles missions. Wasnt at Bagram much and if I was my platoon was on QRF. Did alot of missions with some spec. ops teams as well....just securing there perimeter I am sure haha. I liked Abad (Asadabad). See you all on the 5th. Infantry leads the way haha.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:21 PM
Recruit

Default IRR Recall

Hopefully, I can help shed some light on the IRR recall process for you guys, I know how frustrating it was for me to find info. when that packet came in the mail. I was at Ft. Benning for two weeks to receive another initial issue and go through some refresher training. The unit on your orders means absolutely nothing. There were 160 of us that reported the same day and not one of us are actually going to the unit on our original MOB orders. After your two weeks at Benning or Jackson, you will go to two weeks of MOS refresher training at your MOS instalation(ie: infantry stay at benning, armor-Ft. Knox, Arty-fort sill). While at your MOS refresher you will recieve your actual orders for the unit you will deploy with. I received orders today for the 221 Cav and will link up with them next week. If anyone has any other questions, just let me know, good luck.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:19 AM
Private

Default IRR MOB Issues

It appears that allot of you here came off of AD into the IRR. I did not, I came from the PA National Guard. I assume most of you know this, but I'll through it out there in case there is someone who doesn't. For all you guys leaving in April and May, don't forget to send out your SCRA letters to all your creditors (Mortgage, Car Loans, Credit Cards...) to get the 6% interest rate for your full deployment. I was doing that yesterday, and thats what made me think to post it. Also, I found out there is a program provides income replacement for Reserve component members experiencing extended and frequent mobilization for active duty service, and since the IRR is a reserve component, some of you may qualify. I belive its called the RIRP. Check these out and hope it helps witht he monitary issues of involentary deployment. If anyone needs it, I have a form letter from the SCRA I have from my last Moilization and its the one I used yesterday.

Scoutout, just got update this morning that Commander JAG has my DDE request, so I should know shortly.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:25 AM
Brigadier General

Thanks for the information, Scooby. I'm sure mobilized Reserve Component Soldiers can use it.

Airborne. All the way!
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:48 PM
Private

Thanks for the IRR info. It helps to know what to expect. Of course, it's still frustrating not knowing exactly where-when-how long I'm going.

Either way, I'll see ya'll on 4/19 at Ft. Jackson.