armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > National Guard
User Name
Password

Old 02-12-2009, 06:59 PM
Corporal

Default Information

I spoke to a recruiter today for Army National guard. I am interested in the Active first program and quick ship for 31b. The recruiter told me that I would find out what (if any) bonuses I would receive AFTER I went to MEPS. Could anyone please tell me if that is true, or should I talk to the recruiter Monday about the bonus when I go to do ASVAB? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I posted these same questions on the "Money and Finace" section under "Enlistment bonus" but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask here too.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:07 AM
Brigadier General

Any bonuses that can be given to you are determined after an MOS is chosen & it's been determined that you qualify for it. They have to consider what score you get in the ASVAB as well as the individual test categories. Your education & legal history has to be reviewed as well.

Bonuses can vary from day-to-day depending on how many recruits sign up for bonus MOSs. Bonuses can also be regional. A different area of the country might offer a differnt bonus or none at all. Then there are seasonal bonuses. They'll have no idea what date you'll be able to ship & you might fall under a different bonus schedule then. You might decide to go Active Army with no National Guard obligation. In that case the bonus can be altogether different. The National Guard & the Regular Army has a different method for determining bonuse.

There'd be no way they can tell you what the bonus will be until all of these variables can be reviewed. At that time the counselor at MEPS accesses the computer & finds out what the availability of receiving a bonus is for that time period.

Your Recruiter might be able to take a guess at which MOSs are bonus MOSs. It might not be accurate.

If you're unhappy with the bonus they offer then don't sign the contract. It's ust that simple.

Good luck & keep us informed about what happens.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:25 AM
Corporal

I would like to thank you for your reply to my questions. I would also like to make it clear that the bonus is NOT the reason I am enlisting. I love this country. I want to help preserve what this country represents. My bonus questions are because it would be nice to have something (no matter how small) there to help support my family while I am gone.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:48 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by REB View Post
I would like to thank you for your reply to my questions. I would also like to make it clear that the bonus is NOT the reason I am enlisting. I love this country. I want to help preserve what this country represents. My bonus questions are because it would be nice to have something (no matter how small) there to help support my family while I am gone.
I understand that, REB. However, if a bonus is due you then it's wise to get it. Sometimes deciding on a different MOS can make a difference of $40K. I think it's more important to be happy in your MOS. You have to live with it for the length of time you're on active duty as well as any Guard time you have to serve.

Another consideration that you might want to ask your Recruiter about is if the MOS you want is also an MOS that your Guard unit uses. I'm sure he won't sign you up for Active First if that's not the case.It doesn't do anyone any good if your Guard unit doesn't have any slots for 31B. I think most do. From what I gather Army Reserve units don't have many 31Bs.
Retired MSG

Old 02-15-2009, 10:34 AM
Sergeant First Class

plus when you go to mep's that mos may not be available so look at other options not just the bonus talk to your local gaurd unit to see what is there

Old 02-15-2009, 02:09 PM
Corporal

I do understand that there may not be a demand for certain MOS at all times. 31b is what I want, but I am also considering 11b and 21b. Like I stated previously the bonus is not my main objective in enlisting.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:04 PM
Brigadier General

I'm sure that the Illinois Guard is an Infantry Bde. That still doesn't mean there are any 11B slots available. All 11B slots in Milwaukee with the WI 32nd Infantry Bde were filled. My son was considering that when he was nearing the end of his active duty. He would have had to travel a pretty good distance on drill weekends to have an 11B slot. He opted for a Reserve unit one mile from our door as an 11B Instructor.

I'm sure your Guard Recruiter will be able to tell you about MOS availability. It's good that you have a plan B & C.

If you pick 11B why not ask your Recruiter if you can do Airborne School right out of OSUT? An Option 4 contract is required for that. It's right across post from Sand Hill (BCT & OSUT training) at Ft. Benning. Buses pick up the Airborne students right at the Infantry graduation.
Retired MSG

Old 02-15-2009, 05:37 PM
Corporal

If you pick 11B why not ask your Recruiter if you can do Airborne School right out of OSUT? An Option 4 contract is required for that. It's right across post from Sand Hill (BCT & OSUT training) at Ft. Benning. Buses pick up the Airborne students right at the Infantry graduation

I will discuss Airborne School with my Recruiter if 11b is the route I take. Thank you for the information.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:08 PM
First Sergeant

31B is a great MOS. If your into law enforcement, and feel that is an area you will prosper at, then stick to your guns. Go active for 3 years and get the experience of being a peace officer. If you decide that active army isn't for you, then you will have something to fall back on when you leave. There are plenty of MP units and detachments in the guard and reserves.
I would never settle for something I didn't really want. As for the Airborne option, why can't you go to Airborne school as an MP. I've seen many a MP with jump wings in my time.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:22 PM
Staff Sergeant

when i enlisted in the ANG as a 31b in October it was a priority MOS i didnt go for the active first program but i have my reasons and so far im learning that it was the best decision for me. each person is different. from what ive heard at the last guard experience night i went and talked to the possible recruits the MSG told us that they were cutting a lot of bonuses and jacking up the minimum ASVAB score to 50. that could be just for my state but its something to consider.