armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Enlistment Information
User Name
Password

Old 10-21-2008, 07:12 AM
Recruit

Question bonus totals/maximums

I'm currently considering enlisting in either the National Guard or Active Army. My desire is to serve my country in what I feel is a direct and impactful manner. That's why I'm joining, but with all this talk I hear about increased bonuses and incentives I can't help but feel a little selfish about wanting to get the most money out of it as possible. The money's not my priorety but I'd like to know some things. I know that there's a long list of different bonuses depending on qualifications of the individual. My criteria is: I'm about to graduate college with an journalism degree, I plan on choosing the 11B MOS and am willing to choose 11X if need be, I'd like to go to Airborne if possible and Ranger school if Gods blesses me, I'm in good shape physically/mentally, I'm single with no dependants and owe no money to my school or have any other outstandind debts and am otherwise willing to do or go where-ever the Army wants me. My question is that with my current situation what's the total amount of money the Active Army and Guard are allowed to give me by combining as many bonuses as possible? Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:42 AM
Brigadier General

Contemplate,

11B is not a choice nor is 11C. All going through Infantry OSUT get an 11X contract. Sometime while in OSUT you'll have an opportunity to volunteer for 11C. They usually get enough that they need & I never heard of them forcing someone into mortars if they didn't want it. (Not a bad job, however.)

If you want Airborne you'll need an 11X Option 4 contract. This will guarantee Airborne School after Infantry School.

If you want a guarantee of trying to get in the 75th Ranger Regt. you'll need an 11X/Airborne/Option 40 contract. The Option 40 guarantees you'll go to Ranger Indoctrination Program (RIP) after Airborne School. There's no need to apply for that if you can't pass the 17-21 age PT test with a score of at least 80%, can't swim, at least be comfortable in water enough to swim 15 meters (variable) fully clothed & most importantly have a strong desire to be a Ranger with a never quit, do or die attitude. Don't waste an Option 40.

If that's what you truly want- either contract- then insist on it. Don't let the recruiter tell you that they'll ask for Airborne School or RIP volunteers in Infantry School. That might happen but don't count on it. Get it in writing, in your contract even if you have to wait for it. Don't let the recruiter talk you into 19D saying "it's just like Infantry". It's not. Nothing is just like Infantry. Recruiters will tell you anything to get you to enlist. They are not bad people but they have a job to do. They don't want to get hung up on one recruit but so be it. If they've already spent time on you they want some dividends for that time & if it means getting you an Option 4 or Option 40 contract that's just the way it goes. You have to wear them down until slots becomes available.

It seems the best time to get an Infantry contract with Airborne or RIP is starting about now until maybe the 1st of the year. Things may have changed since my son enlisted almost 5 years ago. It also seems that there are the best bonuses at that time. Most of the June graduates are already enlisted & now it becomes a slow time for recruiting.

Ranger School will come sometime after you complete RIP & are in the 75th Ranger Regt. RIP is solely designed to see if you have what it takes to be a Ranger in the 75th. Ranger School gives you additional training & tests your endurance & non-quitting attutude. You can't get any leadership positions in the 75th without the Ranger Tab. All male soldiers in the Army are eligible to attend Ranger School but upon completion they go back to their units.

With a Bachelor's Degree you're eligible to come into the Army as a SPC, E-4. Make sure you get it.

Hope this helps.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Last edited by MSG Glenn; 10-21-2008 at 07:48 AM..

Tags
bonus, enlist, maximum, money, total