armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Mobilization & Deployment
User Name
Password

Old 02-12-2008, 01:40 PM
Private

Default Daughter Misses her father

My 8 month old daughter is having a hard time with my husband gone. She was very attached to him. He watched her every night when I worked and he was always there for her. He recorded a few things for her on a tape recorder and she just started saying dada. It's been very hard for the both of them. How can I help them?

Last edited by bassingirl969; 02-12-2008 at 01:47 PM..

Old 02-12-2008, 03:41 PM
Brigadier General

Send a message via Yahoo to Fireball

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassingirl969 View Post
My 8 month old daughter is having a hard time with my husband gone. She was very attached to him. He watched her every night when I worked and he was always there for her. He recorded a few things for her on a tape recorder and she just started saying dada. It's been very hard for the both of them. How can I help them?
My friend made [URL="http://www.designsondemand.com/products/dogtags.htm"]dog tags[/URL] for her kids and hubby. I would take LOTS of pictures and continue to record stuff. Get [URL="http://www.skype.com"]Skype[/URL] if you both have a webcam. We love it and use it a lot. Although, I am not sure if the connection will be good where he is at. I have heard some people have used it and others have not been able to. My friend put together monthly slideshows of her kids on her computer and mailed them on CD for her hubby. In my other post to you I recommended [URL="http://www.flatdaddies.com"]Flat Daddies[/URL]. That is free and WAY awesome. All my friends have them in their house. The kids LOVE IT!

-Fireball
Army Wife and mother of 3

Old 02-13-2008, 10:50 AM
Second Lieutenant

You can download pics to shutterfly.com for free and email them to anyone, or he can just look at your albums on line. Flat Daddies has a wait time of about 4 months but it's worth it. My son's daughter is 2 and she carries a picture of her daddy every where she goes. If you ask her where daddy is, she hold up the pic and says, "right here". She's always asking to see daddy on the computer. What would we do without computers and digital cameras?

It's tough but if you just take life as it comes and don't make too big a deal of it, neither will the kids. Treat it as positively as possible.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:14 PM
Brigadier General

I was gone a lot when I was in the Army. My 3 kids never forgot me so there's hope. I went back in the service when my oldest was 11, my 2nd was 3 & my "baby" son wasn't born yet. They all turned out just fine with the oldest daughter being a trauma nurse, my younger daughter a special ed. teacher & my son who is now almost 23 following me into the Army but as an Army Ranger. Just keep the communications active. Most of the time I was on active duty all we had were cassette tapes & telephones along with Army MARS when I was overseas. This went on for 21 years. I had already served 6 years in the Navy before I was married. Now with my Army retirement check coming in every month my wife feels it was all worth it.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:44 PM
Private

Thanks for all the great advice. Everything that's been said has really helped me. We had a great time when we got to see my husband. But, I'm afraid I may have another problem. I may be pregnant. This scares me since he is so far away. If I am, what would be the best way to tell him. I plan on telling him if I am, I just want to break it to him gently. Thanks again for all the advice!

Old 03-10-2008, 09:39 AM
Staff Sergeant

Send a message via AIM to Enlowswife

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassingirl969 View Post
Thanks for all the great advice. Everything that's been said has really helped me. We had a great time when we got to see my husband. But, I'm afraid I may have another problem. I may be pregnant. This scares me since he is so far away. If I am, what would be the best way to tell him. I plan on telling him if I am, I just want to break it to him gently. Thanks again for all the advice!
Just be positive about it.