User Name
Password

Old 05-13-2005, 07:59 AM
Sergeant

we should have won veitnam, but we were fighting w/ one hand behind our back

Old 05-13-2005, 09:42 AM
rising sun

Default Deutschland

History makes it obvious that the best army was the Army of the Third Reich. THe most well-trained, innovative and efficient war machine to have ever battled. It took the USSR (rather its winter than its military), BRITAIN, FRANCE and the USA to beat em. respect.

Britain probably comes in next.

Old 05-14-2005, 04:47 AM
Staff Sergeant

..........yes. One thing though, they lost! Does it not surprise you that they put up a tremendous fight? They had taken over most of Europe therefore gaining access to endless resources! Another key point you mentioned, "they was", the question is who has, as in present tense, not past! If were talking present, Britain and US. Britain for its skill, morale, military might considering how small our country is, and America for its pure Military power. Quite simply end of topic.

Old 05-14-2005, 02:34 PM
Sergeant

If we are going into history I would say the British army of the falklands is by far the best. It 'owned', as our across the atlantic cousins would say. All three services were integrated perfectly, the morale was astonishing and on the whole the war was conducted as proffesionaly as can be hoped for.
The Argentines did'nt stand a chance.

Old 05-14-2005, 02:43 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by British and proud
..........yes. One thing though, they lost! Does it not surprise you that they put up a tremendous fight? They had taken over most of Europe therefore gaining access to endless resources! Another key point you mentioned, "they was", the question is who has, as in present tense, not past! If were talking present, Britain and US. Britain for its skill, morale, military might considering how small our country is, and America for its pure Military power. Quite simply end of topic.
Not end of topic by a long shot, there are still major military powers that have been completely over looked, Countries like Iran, Turkey and most suprisingly, Indonesia are growing military powers that is overlooked by western eyes because they don't make movies about them. Countries like North (and south) Korea and Taiwan have remarkable armed forces for their size and population, not to mention funding.

There has been little talk of France, while ok yes, they are pathetic warriors by nature, and only manage to win a war by accident, with allies, or against themselfs, but they are one of the 6/7 states that actually take their military seriously. Those are the US, UK, France, Russia, India and Pakistan and possibly China. Unlike most europian countries, they don't go in for the *****, "would you please if your feeling like it give this obstacle a try?" for training, they go in for the good old British, "Get over that obstacle you pathetic little runt before I come and shove my bayonet up your arse" approach, which is proven to work.

Old 05-14-2005, 05:37 PM
Recruit

Yea, it seems most ppl in here downplay france's military might. They are extremely well trained soldiers, who if funded like and had the same numbers as the united states armed forces, would be pretty equal. The only problems in the past was low moral, causing them to be cowards b/c the rest of their mates were doing so. Also, the french foreign legion, though not really french, are some of the best soldiers in the world, and have extremely high moral, even though they are treated as replacable goods. Take a look at their history, they are quite remarkable.
But as for the best modern military force, I'd have to go with the US and the UK, for all of the same reasons other ppl have already said. However, us yanks haven't fought a well trained and well equipt military force since ww2, so its anyones guess what might happen if we did go up against a modern military.

Old 05-14-2005, 09:10 PM
Second Lieutenant

Default Shut it, ****

I'm sick of you wanks saying the French are pussies - they actually fought more bravely than the allies in WW2. That's just horse-**** american stereotyping because they were invaded (and would've lost) twice. Just now, the only 2 countries outside the US that are putting a decent portion of their GDP into defence are France and the UK, so they are easily in the top 3 in terms of capability. In fact, they are probably better than the US in terms of training - just look at the foreign legion, who aren't even their best.
Just remember back to napoleon etc. Yeah, it was a long time ago, but a country's military expertise and training effectiveness doesn't just disappear.

Old 05-14-2005, 10:44 PM
Sergeant First Class

quote by laxwax
Quote:
don't leave out the canadians....
ok u say that canada has hard training?!?!?!?!?!?! it's only like one day!!!! i'm canadian and a proud one but i'm not proud of our army it's not even close to the best in fact i'd post it as one of the worst trained wimpy lousilyequipped army ever. srry for gettin mad ye'all folks, but this is just what i think of our army... if u want all that i have to say then go to the canadian army thread,

Old 05-14-2005, 10:49 PM
Sergeant First Class

uhhh js-mac they barely did any fighting if u know any history...and they were conquered and had to be liberated with the rest of europe,

Old 05-14-2005, 10:50 PM
Sergeant First Class

but you have to admire them for their stealth in the resistance they did outstanding in diagramming the normandy beaches to give the allies a good idea of what it would be like.