armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Basic Training
User Name
Password

Old 05-22-2009, 12:59 PM
Private

Lightbulb Conditioning Your Push-ups & Sit-ups for BCT

Upon getting ready for BCT I started doing a typical set amount of push-ups and sit-ups once a day. However I had a day that made me realize I need to do a bit more to prepare myself for BCT.

One day I did my typical sit-ups and push-ups until I was sore and couldn't do any more. And about two hours later I was called into the recruiters office to get a form finished. In doing so he decided to test me on my General Orders memorization. I wasn't able to recite it all so he told me to drop and give 5 push-ups. Being enthusiastic I droped on the spot and started to do my first push up only to realize my arms were jello... I forgot about all the work I did earlier. I gave it everything I had and was only able to pull off 4 push-ups while my arms shook like crazy in what seemed to be the ONLY busy time in the recruiter's office. I was embarrassed and unhappy with my performance.

Afterwards I started thinking that I am most likely going to have to drop for push-ups a lot during BCT, through out the day despite how sore I am going to be from drills and PT and I want to be ready for that, so I came up with this to get my body used to doing push-ups and sit-ups on demand through out the entire day. Its easy and you really do actually start to see results within the first few days.

Set a starting point each day.
Example: when you wake up, or an hour after you wake up.

Do 5 push-ups and 5 sit-ups.
Then repeat every hour on the hour till you go to bed.
Do this EVERY DAY.
That is it.

During your first couple days, you might not be able to do it every hour, that is fine. Just keep at it every day and you WILL be able to do 5 every hour on the hour.

Don't do more than 5 early in the day, remember its about conditioning your self, giving your sit-ups and push-ups endurance, not burning out to early.

If 5 is to much do 3 or 4, but remember to push your self a little bit, that will allow you to get ahead versus staying at the same level for a long time.

Once it gets easy to do 5 every hour on the hour, start adding to that number, whether it totals to 7 every hour or 15.

Pick what works best for you. Just remember to keep at it and you'll be able to drop and do push-ups any time of day during BCT. That is the goal!

NOTE: Do not replace this with your other work outs that prepare you for BCT, add this to it.

NOTE: This is what I found works for me, and is only meant as a suggestion. You know your self better than anyone, do what works best for you.

I hope this helps some people, I know it has been helping me a lot. Please post any other fitness Ideas you might have come up with to help you get ready for BCT.
BCT: Ft. Knox, KY. 20090814
AIT: Ft. Gordon, GA. 20091026
Hometown: Seattle, WA

Old 05-23-2009, 12:14 AM
Private First Class

Hello. While this information is useful, it might would be a better idea to add a few higher numbers in there. A average 200 lbs man doing 5 push ups and sit ups isn't going to do a whole lot. Realistically, your body needs to be pushed to get significant results.

Before my arrival to BCT I was doing anywhere from 700-1000 sit ups/crunch variations a day along with 100-200 push ups a day. While also curling a 40 lbs dumb bell to get a full arm workout. Along with 2 mile runs frequently.

Needless to say when I arrived to boot camp, at Ft Benning I was the strongest guy in the group and I was 18. I could do 15 push ups totally upside down standing on my hands while no one else could pull off 1 decent one.

And even still, I got smoked and smoked often. It's not exactly all about doing push ups because I can recall only doing 20 to 30 push ups but we had to hold our selves half way down for 30 seconds to a minute between each push up. So it wasn't really the push ups that got us. NEVER did I only do 5 push ups there, it just didn't happen =)

Practice doing push ups, and while doing that hold yourself half way from the ground as long as you can and try to get better and better times holding yourself. try to get 90 degree angel in the elbows. If you can pull off a decent amount of push ups while holding yourself, you will surely find that doing only the push ups will become much easier. Then, when the times comes and you do find yourself 6 inches from the ground groaning and shaking in pain, you'll be glad you've been doing it for months.

I'd like to think that if you really push yourself in the comfort and security of your own home and surroundings, when your at BCT getting running around like a chicken with there head cut off your physical fitness won't hender you from doing the absolute best you can.

I hope to walk away at the ultimate top of my group.

Good luck with everything!

Old 05-23-2009, 06:06 PM
Private First Class

Just a little addition to my above post.

I realized that asking someone to do 700-1000 sit up/crunches may shock them. I failed to explain how to go about doing that.

I don't mean sit down and literally do 700 sit ups at once. Do them in sets. Like 20 at a time or even 10 at a time. But try not to rest for extended amounts of time in between sets. Do 20, rest for 20 or 30 seconds and try to do 20 more. You can rest for as long as you need however you want to keep a good heart rate going so you don't want more rest then actual physical activity. IMPORTANT-STRETCH PROPERLY AFTER EACH WORK OUT.

I'll give you a example of my routine for you to go by.

I'll do around 50 sit ups and rest for a minute. Then I'll do 20 more. Rest for 30 seconds or so and do as many as I can. Then rest after each time. I go from anywhere to 100-200 full sit ups each workout per day. Then I'll go into 100 flutter kicks and rest for a minute. Do 100 bicycle kicks and rest for a minute. Lay "indian style" laid back and do 50-100. Right there you've easily pulled off 500 sit up/crunch variations. If you can't do 100 all at once do as many as you can until you get there.

You want to get used to doing FULL sit ups as much as possible. You may find your doing a lot more of those then crunches. Flutter kicks may be done frequently also.

Your body needs to be pushed to its edge and then some. So when your doing sit ups and you think you can't do anymore. Do 10 more.

Same with push ups. You can go a lot longer then your mind will tell you, you just have to push through. Making sure not to over due yourself of course, you should know your limits.

Hope someone gets some use out of this. =)

Tags
bct, push, sit, ups