armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > National Guard
User Name
Password

Old 08-20-2008, 09:04 AM
Recruit

Exclamation National Guard Schooling Benefits?

I am ready to enlist with the army national guard. I would like to eventually become a police officer within the next few years but I desperately want to get my associates degree in criminal justice first. How much will the national guard help me with schooling?

Old 08-20-2008, 09:13 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan84 View Post
I am ready to enlist with the army national guard. I would like to eventually become a police officer within the next few years but I desperately want to get my associates degree in criminal justice first. How much will the national guard help me with schooling?
There are so many variables that is depended on. ASVAB scoring, MOS and the number of years you join for. What you qualify for as far as education benefits is what you need to discuss with your recruiter about.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:01 PM
Corporal

Depends on your State. Many states offer full scholarship of tuition to their Guardsmen attending public colleges. In addition, you are eligible for the Montgomery GI Bill-SR (not sure of the Chapter number) and for state and federal Tuition assistance. Not a bad deal!

Old 04-06-2009, 08:45 AM
Brigadier General

Logan,

These are things that you should ask your Recruiter. There are many benifits that might be available.

There's an Active First contract that comes & goes in the National Guard. Sign up for a 3 or 4 year active duty enlistment & have a reserved slot for you in your local Guard unit when you serve your active time. Often times there are bonuses available. You could qualify for a $50,000 education assistance.

If you don't want your education disrupted I would wait until you complete you schooling before enlisting. Guard & Reserve unit are being deployed regularly. There are normally no exemptions allowed including school. They would require just about everyone in the unit to mobilize except for possibly hardship cases.

You could also enter the Guard with a higher rank with an Associate Degree.

Also keep in mind that you can wait up to a year after signing your contract & leaving for BCT & AIT. That way you would be guaranteed any bonuses that are in effect at the time of signing & you'd be able to finish school before having to ship out. Without BCT & AIT you wouldn't be deployable. There's also a program available where you could attend drills for pay, get a better knowledge of the things you would learn in BCT before actually shipping. Again - you wouldn't be deployable.

Talk to your Recruiter about all of this. He'll be able to inform you on what's available at this time.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:23 PM
Corporal

Additionally -

Lately there have been a lot of Guardsmen coming in under the 'active first' program. A $20,000 bonus plus a guarantee not to be deployed for their first two years in the Guard, so they can go to school. Of course there are requirements - a Soldier has to actually be signed up and attending college to remain non-deployable; those who fail out are immediately available for worldwide deployment. So caution is in order. Active First was one hell of a program while it was being offered - three years active for a big bonus, then 5 years Guard for another big bonus, and your 36 months of active duty qualify you for the post-9/11 GI Bill, which includes BAH at the E-5 rate, plus full tuition paid, plus additional monies. Recruiting Command expects it will be offered again soon, according to a recruiting SGM I spoke to recently.

Explore all of your options before signing a contract, pick an MOS you'll enjoy doing - not just the one with the biggest bonus - and Good Luck!