armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Help and Assistance
User Name
Password

Old 08-20-2008, 12:59 PM
Recruit

Question solider lost in the books

ok long story so here goes

i enlisted 2002 and went to basic the summer of 2003 expecting to graduate high school in 2004. I graduated basic and went to my senior year in high school planning to attend AIT as a split OP immediately after i graduate high school. Feb 2004 i had a very serious car accident resulting in having to be revived, a <24 hour coma, rehab to walk again. I suffered some severe head injuries an have residual scar tissue. However, my civilian doctor has released me to the discression of the military to decide if i'm medically fit or not to continue.

Heres where it gets tricky. 2x in 2005 once in 2006 3 times in 2007 and once this year i have sent a complete medical evalutation to my reserve unit i was assigned to in high school. about 6 months after i send a packet i would start getting notices that i was missing drill and would start contacting he unit informing them that i had sent medical info and was told not to attend drill until i was medically evaluated. every time i was assured it would be investigated and a resolution reached. The missed drill notifications would continue to come and eventually I would get a noticee that i was under review for discharge charged with AWOL. I would start making calls again and even in 2005 and 206 i made a visit to the unit to try to resolve these issues. even though i have avoided discharge wrongfully i haveyet to see resolution. recently i got another discharge notice. I actually contacted the retention NCOof the unit and informed her of theissue. She passed me up to the next person a week ago from today. I havent been able to contact this person. I called the retention nco again with no avail unable to reach her again, called the 1sgt cant get him and won t force myself to bother the CO jsut yet, ll wait another week for that. Any other suggestions? i mean to give u a litle more enlightement to my stent with getting lsot, when i went to MEPS i actually was down there for 2 weeks becuase my paperwork was lost 4 times and i had to retake the asvab 3 times and all kinds of stuff. I went in as e-3 and was promoted to e-4 sometime last year because apparently they have it in the paperwork that i went to AIt though i never have. I actually at onepoint got notice that i was being deployed and had to call the unit and tell them that was impossible due to the situation. I have jsut been lost in the cracks over and over and i just wanna serve my country, provide for my family, and stay in themilitary doing the one thing I have ever done well..... be a solider... sounds cliche i know but its true its my dream aznd i still want it..... pls advise....

Last edited by spczmock; 08-20-2008 at 01:35 PM..

Old 08-20-2008, 01:44 PM
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by spczmock View Post
ok long story so here goes

i enlisted 2002 and went to basic the summer of 2003 expecting to graduate high school in 2004. I graduated basic and went to my senior year in high school planning to attend AIT as a split OP immediately after i graduate high school. Feb 2004 i had a very serious car accident resulting in having to be revived, a <24 hour coma, rehab to walk again. I suffered some severe head injuries an have residual scar tissue. However, my civilian doctor has released me to the discression of the military to decide if i'm medically fit or not to continue.

Heres where it gets tricky. 2x in 2005 once in 2006 3 times in 2007 and once this year i have sent a complete medical evalutation to my reserve unit i was assigned to in high school. about 6 months after i send a packet i would start getting notices that i was missing drill and would start contacting he unit informing them that i had sent medical info and was told not to attend drill until i was medically evaluated. every time i was assured it would be investigated and a resolution reached. The missed drill notifications would continue to come and eventually I would get a noticee that i was under review for discharge charged with AWOL. I would start making calls again and even in 2005 and 206 i made a visit to the unit to try to resolve these issues. even though i have avoided discharge wrongfully i haveyet to see resolution. recently i got another discharge notice. I actually contacted the retention NCOof the unit and informed her of theissue. She passed me up to the next person a week ago from today. I havent been able to contact this person. I called the retention nco again with no avail unable to reach her again, called the 1sgt cant get him and won t force myself to bother the CO jsut yet, ll wait another week for that. Any other suggestions? i mean to give u a litle more enlightement to my stent with getting lsot, when i went to MEPS i actually was down there for 2 weeks becuase my paperwork was lost 4 times and i had to retake the asvab 3 times and all kinds of stuff. I went in as e-3 and was promoted to e-4 sometime last year because apparently they have it in the paperwork that i went to AIt though i never have. I actually at onepoint got notice that i was being deployed and had to call the unit and tell them that was impossible due to the situation. I have jsut been lost in the cracks over and over and i just wanna serve my country, provide for my family, and stay in themilitary doing the one thing I have ever done well..... be a solider... sounds cliche i know but its true its my dream aznd i still want it..... pls advise....
WOW! Sounds like you're just being put off by one person after another. I know you're probably getting tired of it but you have to stay on them. When I was doing my reserve time my grandmother's health began to deteriorate rapidly. This is the woman that practically raised me. Since I was the only one providing any type of home care I told the staff NCO in the office about the situation. Long story short, I was told I was being allowed to separate under a Hardship discharge and also be able to reenlist if I wanted. I found out this year that all of that was bulls**t! Problem is it's been 8 years. Fortunatly I'm dealing with some officers now that genuinely want to help me get everything straight but it's been almost a year long process and it could be longer. So stay on them as much as you can so you don't end up in a situation like mine. Even if you have to go up to the reserve station in person everyday, do that.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:59 PM
Recruit

surprisingly fast update

i got the balls to call the CO's office and my old sgt major was in there and he remembered me... so hes resolving the issue hopefully i have faith in this man... but new dilemma... if i get back in .... he said my actual time of service is ending this year BUT my inactive enlisted stent is 2 years ...... so im curious this will porbably take some recruiter know how (dont lie pls i m already enlisted :P) i dont wanna stay in this unit and i even dont wanna keep my MOS (job) because i wasnt job qualified only basic. I want to move into a little less hated field (i know now how MPs are seen on base) that and my interests have change since high school i think more realistically , anyways back from that tangent i wanna change MOS, is it possible? plausible? likely? do i jsut keep pushing til i get it or pray? pls advise.....

Old 08-20-2008, 07:47 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by spczmock View Post
surprisingly fast update

i got the balls to call the CO's office and my old sgt major was in there and he remembered me... so hes resolving the issue hopefully i have faith in this man... but new dilemma... if i get back in .... he said my actual time of service is ending this year BUT my inactive enlisted stent is 2 years ...... so im curious this will porbably take some recruiter know how (dont lie pls i m already enlisted :P) i dont wanna stay in this unit and i even dont wanna keep my MOS (job) because i wasnt job qualified only basic. I want to move into a little less hated field (i know now how MPs are seen on base) that and my interests have change since high school i think more realistically , anyways back from that tangent i wanna change MOS, is it possible? plausible? likely? do i jsut keep pushing til i get it or pray? pls advise.....
Technically since you never went back and got MOSQ, it would be considered a breach of contract after a certain amount of time and you should have been discharged.

Since you haven't and now want to continue to serve, you should talk to your recruiter and see what options you have, they should let you choose a new MOS and if you can request to go to another unit as long as they have a slot to put you in.

Good luck!

Tags
advice, legal, medical