armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > Support our Families
User Name
Password

Old 07-28-2008, 03:25 PM
Private

Talking two more weeks down & over with

Whew that was a rough couple of weeks. I'm glad it's over. I finally got that call from my son and I could tell from his voice it was going to be OK. He is getting sleep now and probably eating a little better. The boy was skinny to start with and it made me sick thinking of him always being hungary there. I'm glad the worse is over and now it's just a matter of riding out the last 4 weeks. I should've been familiar with the basic training process but when it comes to my kids I have a tendency to over-react. Good thing you guys were here and reminding me of the standard procedures the basic training people all go through. It really made it a lot easier on me. Thanks for listening.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:56 PM
Brigadier General

Send a message via Yahoo to Fireball

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieolinger View Post
Whew that was a rough couple of weeks. I'm glad it's over. I finally got that call from my son and I could tell from his voice it was going to be OK. He is getting sleep now and probably eating a little better. The boy was skinny to start with and it made me sick thinking of him always being hungary there. I'm glad the worse is over and now it's just a matter of riding out the last 4 weeks. I should've been familiar with the basic training process but when it comes to my kids I have a tendency to over-react. Good thing you guys were here and reminding me of the standard procedures the basic training people all go through. It really made it a lot easier on me. Thanks for listening.
My husband was never hungry when he went... my aunt and uncle both GAINED weight when they went through basic (they were still fit though). He'll be great, and I am glad you're doing well!

-Fireball
Army Wife and mother of 3

Old 07-28-2008, 04:21 PM
Captain

Quote:
I was always starving when I went through. Gladl things are looking up and you are feeling better!!

Old 07-28-2008, 06:40 PM
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Glad to hear he is sounding better. My son never complained about being hungry, but he did lose his backside when he was there. He lost even more when he was deployed but he said it wasn't because the food was bad or in short supply, just lots of PT.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:12 AM
Staff Sergeant

You know when Michael came home he would ate everything. I know that since he has been gone, he said he doesn't eat as much. He said the food over there is not as good as it is here. But he sure is glad to to see Pizza Hut and Starbucks.. Lots of Pizza and Coffee at night.

Old 08-02-2008, 06:01 AM
Private

My son left for boot camp two weeks ago. I am glad to see that I am not the only one to worry about their son. He is at Ft. Benning, Georgia. We only live about 300 miles away, but it is not easy. I have always stood behind whatever my children wanted to do. He is the last to leave home and I am having empty nest syndrome. My husband is trying to be supportive, but doesn't really know how. My son got stuck in processing for 2 weeks when he got there and didn't start his training until yesterday. I am hoping that things will get better because he said the waiting was terrible. He is homesick. He has never been away from home so this is hard for both of us. He doesn't know that this is wearing me down, and I am not sure I will tell him any time soon. I have committed to staying strong for him and hopefully keep him upbeat. It was a positive move for him, one of which, has made him more mature in the past few weeks than I have ever known him to be....I pray that your son does well and Thank you for posting your concerns. I am grateful to know I am not alone......

Old 08-02-2008, 07:10 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyMom08 View Post
My son left for boot camp two weeks ago. I am glad to see that I am not the only one to worry about their son. He is at Ft. Benning, Georgia. We only live about 300 miles away, but it is not easy. I have always stood behind whatever my children wanted to do. He is the last to leave home and I am having empty nest syndrome. My husband is trying to be supportive, but doesn't really know how. My son got stuck in processing for 2 weeks when he got there and didn't start his training until yesterday. I am hoping that things will get better because he said the waiting was terrible. He is homesick. He has never been away from home so this is hard for both of us. He doesn't know that this is wearing me down, and I am not sure I will tell him any time soon. I have committed to staying strong for him and hopefully keep him upbeat. It was a positive move for him, one of which, has made him more mature in the past few weeks than I have ever known him to be....I pray that your son does well and Thank you for posting your concerns. I am grateful to know I am not alone......
Good luck to your son! And know you are not alone!

Old 08-02-2008, 09:42 AM
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyMom08 View Post
You are not alone. My son did basic at Ft Benning last summer. HOT!!! The first few weeks were rough, but he ended up loving every minute of it. After he left he was convinced he wants to be a drill sergeant some day.

Brace yourself for the pitiful first letters and be ready to send positive, YOU CAN DO IT, letters back. He will be fine.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:50 AM
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtomom View Post
You know when Michael came home he would ate everything. I know that since he has been gone, he said he doesn't eat as much. He said the food over there is not as good as it is here. But he sure is glad to to see Pizza Hut and Starbucks.. Lots of Pizza and Coffee at night.
My son's was Mexican food. I wanted to have a big barbecue because he came home July 4th weekend, but he insisted on Mexican. He tried pretty hard not to eat everything in sight because he didn't want to undo all his PT. He still ended up gaining about 5 pounds while he was here. Not bad. He's always been one of those kids who would eat anything so he says the food over there was pretty good.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:51 AM
Private

Default Thanks

Thanks Txmom42 and Armygirl4ever. I know that it is rough for him, but as a Mom, it is rough on us. He is tough and I am sure he can handle it. I am glad this website is here for information and encouragement. Thanks again.