armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Mobilization & Deployment
User Name
Password

Old 04-23-2008, 05:19 PM
Private

Default AIT and family

My husband is leaving for Basic on Sept. 9th to Ft. Benning. His AIT is also in GA, I'm curious if it would be worth it to move to Georgia while he is in AIT (he will be there for a total of 23 wks) or if I should stay where I am (Utah) until he gets out. We were told that he isn't there long enough for dependants to come along, so I am considering just getting an apartment near base. But I don't know if I would be able to see him at all or if it would be a wasted time and effort. I really want to be near him, but I don't want to move all the way out there and realize I still don't get to see him and then be away from family also. Help!

Old 04-24-2008, 10:04 AM
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imnewdawn View Post
My husband is leaving for Basic on Sept. 9th to Ft. Benning. His AIT is also in GA, I'm curious if it would be worth it to move to Georgia while he is in AIT (he will be there for a total of 23 wks) or if I should stay where I am (Utah) until he gets out. We were told that he isn't there long enough for dependants to come along, so I am considering just getting an apartment near base. But I don't know if I would be able to see him at all or if it would be a wasted time and effort. I really want to be near him, but I don't want to move all the way out there and realize I still don't get to see him and then be away from family also. Help!
If it were me, I would save myself the money and frustration of moving for such a short time period. They keep them very busy. There's not a lot to do in Ft Benning! You can visit on Family weekend, and at graduation. He must be going to Airborne and RIP school too if he's there for 23 weeks. You can see him at those graduations also. Think of the frequent flyer miles you will pile up! You will be fine, and he can focus on his training. Also, it's good practice because he can and will be gone for extended periods of time throughout his Army career.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:02 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

TxMom is right, no reason for you to move all the way out there. You won't be able to see him if he is attending infantry OSUT for at least 14 weeks. If his basic is at Benning and his AIT is elsewhere in GA, you still won't be able to see him but on the weekends IF they are given a pass. The Army keeps tight control on IET (Intial Entry Training) soldiers. Either route he's going, all at Benning or partial Benning and elsewhere .. you need to wait until he is assigned his first duty station. If you move now, the Army will not pay for it.

Also, for TxMom, RIP isn't a school. It's an indoc process for those wanting to be Rangers.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:53 PM
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacky View Post
TxMom is right, no reason for you to move all the way out there. You won't be able to see him if he is attending infantry OSUT for at least 14 weeks. If his basic is at Benning and his AIT is elsewhere in GA, you still won't be able to see him but on the weekends IF they are given a pass. The Army keeps tight control on IET (Intial Entry Training) soldiers. Either route he's going, all at Benning or partial Benning and elsewhere .. you need to wait until he is assigned his first duty station. If you move now, the Army will not pay for it.

Also, for TxMom, RIP isn't a school. It's an indoc process for those wanting to be Rangers.
Thanks Tacky!

Old 04-24-2008, 10:46 PM
Private

Of course its going to come down to a decision you both will have to make. You asked for opinions so thought i'd share someones experience. Granted this was only an eight week Ait and all are different. A female that I was in the same platoon with in basic was in my Ait. The weekend after we went to Ait (same base as basic) was Thanksgiving. We had alot of passes and such since we had only been there a few days and werent really into the training yet. Her husband was still there from basic family day/graduation. They decided he would stay there and look for a temporary job until she finished Ait. It actually caused more stress between them. He didnt understand exactly how things worked and would get angry when she could see him for days on end. It got to be very stressful between them and he actually ended up going back home. There really wont be any way to find out how much free time he will get before he actually gets there. Although simular, even each individual company can be very different in some ways, especially including passes and free time.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:10 AM
Private

thank you much! he will be going to jump school right after AIT I believe. He has been trying to convince me to stay here...and it seems that is what I'll do considering everything. I'll just be staying with my parents until hes done and that doesn't sound too appetizing seeing as we have 2 kids, and we will be sharing one room, fun fun!!! thanks again

Old 04-26-2008, 10:41 AM
Brigadier General

Send a message via AIM to Nightflyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imnewdawn View Post
thank you much! he will be going to jump school right after AIT I believe. He has been trying to convince me to stay here...and it seems that is what I'll do considering everything. I'll just be staying with my parents until hes done and that doesn't sound too appetizing seeing as we have 2 kids, and we will be sharing one room, fun fun!!! thanks again
Stay proud. Airborne is awesome. Take care and good luck with everything...

Spc. ~ Nightflyer ~ Spec 4 Mafia
Army Avaivation Air Assualt.
Black berets forever.
U S A

Classic. And we get it.

Posted by... Nightflyer..Go get me a beer....
Posted by Zekos....get me one too b.itch Posted by... Exo1.Haha!!... good man!!.... .........yeah!!.... while your out there get me one too.....Posted by... SniperALpha1Corona with lime is the way to go. CAUSE THAT'S AMERICA *****!Posted by...Zidane Whiskey pl0x.