armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Army.com General Discussions > Suggestions & Feedback
User Name
Password

Old 04-03-2008, 03:17 PM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1sch1efmayhem View Post
Im new to this site but i have looked at some of the forums about being in the speciaa forces. I have been looking all over the net and on sites aswell, Ive seen different requirements and training programs to be eligible. This is something i want to do it's a goal that i have set forth for myself. Im the black sheep of my family just because im different, im not a typical stereo type of a puerto rican i guess. My hopes are to achieve this goal and prove to my family, my fiance and myself that there is more to me than what they have seen. im planning to enlist and take the asvab soon, i bought a study guide for the asvab so i can bring up my score. I have been working out and will continue to train, i plan to leave in august. so itgives me enough time to become a stronger swimmer aswell and lower my run time. im good with everything else i think. I have seen many different answers on how to persue my goal and how long it takes. I want to get more facts on this though, how likely is it for someon to join complete basic and be offered the previledge of going to train to become a speciaforces soldier. any feed back would be great.
i apologize for sounding like alot of threds, i just want all the facts from all sources.
thanks

Hi M1,

Im sure the Special Forces folks will tell you, its all you, you have to be a self starter as evidenced in this thread and many others on army.com. Im not going to rehash the requirements as they are spelt out on this forum many times, but in answering your question, you need to map your career path starting with the contract you get and take the best way to your goals for you.. If you got what it takes, you will make it... as I understand it, its more about you, rather then the opportunities which if you have the right stuff will present themselves...

Exo

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"

Old 04-03-2008, 03:55 PM
Brigadier General

There have been numerous posts about the SpecOps fraternity. Try the search button. MSG Tacky has posted about this numerous times.

There are some important attributes to getting selected to go to SFAS. First off you'll need an 18X contract. This only guarantees that you'll be allowed to attend the selection & training. The rest is up to you. You'll need to be the best soldier that the Army ever produced. Probably the most important thing is to conduct yourself in a mature manner. The SF is no place for immature kids. Your NCOs don't have time for that.

Expect about 2 years of training.

Hopefully MSG Tacky will be around to set you straight. He's a serving SF senior NCO & knows his business.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 04-03-2008, 04:34 PM
Brigadier General

Send a message via AIM to Nightflyer
Cool Hooah.....

Quote:
Im new to this site but i have looked at some of the forums about being in the speciaa forces. I have been looking all over the net and on sites aswell, Ive seen different requirements and training programs to be eligible. This is something i want to do it's a goal that i have set forth for myself. Im the black sheep of my family just because im different, im not a typical stereo type of a puerto rican i guess. My hopes are to achieve this goal and prove to my family, my fiance and myself that there is more to me than what they have seen. im planning to enlist and take the asvab soon, i bought a study guide for the asvab so i can bring up my score. I have been working out and will continue to train, i plan to leave in august. so itgives me enough time to become a stronger swimmer aswell and lower my run time. im good with everything else i think. I have seen many different answers on how to persue my goal and how long it takes. I want to get more facts on this though, how likely is it for someon to join complete basic and be offered the previledge of going to train to become a speciaforces soldier. any feed back would be great.
i apologize for sounding like alot of threds, i just want all the facts from all sources.
thanks
Welcome ..Mi..
MI- You have so found the right place. It isn't funny..Your lucky! Our boss Tacky is a career SF's Top...His leadership skills and understanding for our Army is second to none..Stay in your lane ..keep an open mind and you'll have a chance to have a direct questions & answers from the best..Dbl back and check out the previous post already covered on the SF"s...You'll learn alot.
Good Luck..Bro. Im Nightflyer, Im a soldier working on going to the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment (Airborne) The Nightstalkers, With a good attitude -You'll get where you want to go-. It isn't easy but Im almost half way there. Hooah.

Spc. Nightflyer. Spec 4 Mafia
Army Aviation Air Assualt.
Black berets forever
U S A

Classic. And we get it.

Posted by... Nightflyer..Go get me a beer....
Posted by Zekos....get me one too b.itch Posted by... Exo1.Haha!!... good man!!.... .........yeah!!.... while your out there get me one too.....Posted by... SniperALpha1Corona with lime is the way to go. CAUSE THAT'S AMERICA *****!Posted by...Zidane Whiskey pl0x.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:03 PM
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightflyer View Post

Our boss Tacky is a career SF's Top...His leadership skills and understanding for our Army is second to none..Stay in your lane ..keep an open mind and you'll have a chance to have a direct questions & answers from the best..Dbl back and check out the previous post already covered on the SF"s...
but dont ask him stupid questions (i have already figured this out on my own). make sure they are advanced and educated questions. take the advice to try and be your own teacher. if you do your work msg tacky will help you with the rest of you misunderstandings. good luck to you in your endeavors!

Old 04-04-2008, 07:11 AM
Private

Thank you for the feed back it helps alot when you get positive answers. I did see that you will put in about 2 years of training and getting your specialty training. This is something that i found to be both challenging and interesting. It is something that you will never forget and an experience that will change you for the best. my fiance is behind no matter what path i choose even special forces. her brother is in NC right now. He signed a ccontract for black water, so she is not too happy about that. But she said if this is what i want to do she will be by my side. i had another question about special force soldiers, is there a high rate of divorce or parthners leaving eachother due to too much training?

thanks

Old 04-04-2008, 09:22 AM
Private

i also wanted ask if anyone with prior experience recomends a soldier to enlist and go try to get into ranger school then later on move on to become a special forces soldier. like that you have the experience under your belt. i saw on youtube the ranger school videos and im pretty sure boot camp is not even touching it. so i would think if you were a ranger then move on you would be more mentaly and phisicaly fit for special forces right?
im also going to incoporate this navy seal workouts my friend had on video to help me further to get in even better shape with my endurance.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:56 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
i also wanted ask if anyone with prior experience recomends a soldier to enlist and go try to get into ranger school then later on move on to become a special forces soldier. like that you have the experience under your belt. i saw on youtube the ranger school videos and im pretty sure boot camp is not even touching it. so i would think if you were a ranger then move on you would be more mentaly and phisicaly fit for special forces right?
im also going to incoporate this navy seal workouts my friend had on video to help me further to get in even better shape with my endurance.
Search this topic, I've covered this question before. When you find the answer, come back.

90% of my posts on this board cover SF and SOF related questions, so if you search my previous posts, you will find a lot of information.

When you've researched and read, come back and we'll talk about more.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:19 AM
Private

Tacky
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For anyone new reading this post, you can enlist into the Army with a Special Forces contract. It will not guarantee you a slot as a team member on an SF team, but it will guarantee you the opportunity to attend SFAS (SF selection) .. if you pass, you will continue through SFQC and other courses.

i saw this on one of your posts
if someone enlisted under 18x got his chance and passed, would they still be looked at the same compared to a soldier who moved to become a special force soldier? or would there be mixed feelings in that case?