armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Army.com General Discussions > Suggestions & Feedback
User Name
Password

Old 04-07-2007, 12:52 PM
General of the Armies

Putting your hands behind your head when doing sit ups is wrong wrong wrong!!.. I know Im preaching to the coverted here, but you will just injure yourself... We always had or hands on the temples of our foreheads when doing them.. theres better ways of strengthing your body core strength, but if you must do sit ups, do them without hands at the back of the head,and you will reduce injury risk...

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"

Old 04-08-2007, 08:51 AM
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacky View Post
LOL That's not how the Army works, son. You don't just get to talk to anyone. You're bottom of the foodchain, they don't care what you have to say. It isn't a democracy, and unless you've got a critical job (even then, they only want to hear us when they need us) or you have a heavy collar trust me when I tell you - no one cares what you think.

That's the reality of things, you aren't going to change it. Start learning to accept it and roll with it or you aren't going to enjoy the Army very much. There are some things that you just can't get in to.

amen tacky

where do these laddies come from? "oh i cant do marchin with a bergin cos i got shin splints i cant do sit-ups its chaffing my back.......ohhh will you tuck me in to bed at night and read me a bed time story sir pllllllleaaaase sir"

its the military cadetpaul unless your willing 100% to lay your life on the line forget it..........im tired of seeing this all the time.............there was a program on the discovery channel about a bunch of U.S grunts who fled to canadaone was from the 82nd airborn i thought "ohh if your comrades saw you they would hunt you down"he just joined to get a degree from a G.I bill but not taking into consideration of what signing on that dotted line would represent
a few brit solders did the same thing awhile ago too

fair enough no matter what your feelings are on the iraq war you join to see what you can contribute to your military not what they can give you

Old 04-09-2007, 08:08 AM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus185 View Post
amen tacky

where do these laddies come from? "oh i cant do marchin with a bergin cos i got shin splints i cant do sit-ups its chaffing my back.......ohhh will you tuck me in to bed at night and read me a bed time story sir pllllllleaaaase sir"

its the military cadetpaul unless your willing 100% to lay your life on the line forget it..........im tired of seeing this all the time.............there was a program on the discovery channel about a bunch of U.S grunts who fled to canadaone was from the 82nd airborn i thought "ohh if your comrades saw you they would hunt you down"he just joined to get a degree from a G.I bill but not taking into consideration of what signing on that dotted line would represent
a few brit solders did the same thing awhile ago too

fair enough no matter what your feelings are on the iraq war you join to see what you can contribute to your military not what they can give you
So your point is you hate whingers... well your not alone on that one... they annoy me too...

Old 04-09-2007, 09:34 AM
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo1 View Post
So your point is you hate whingers... well your not alone on that one... they annoy me too...

well i used to be one(when i was a wee boy) but getting sent to a home can toughen someone up........the military is a good opporunity for people if they use it........if they cant hack it there arse shoud be oot the door...........nowadays its a numbers game...and if they cant make the numbers they turn a blind eye

Old 04-10-2007, 12:14 PM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus185 View Post
well i used to be one(when i was a wee boy) but getting sent to a home can toughen someone up........the military is a good opporunity for people if they use it........if they cant hack it there arse shoud be oot the door...........nowadays its a numbers game...and if they cant make the numbers they turn a blind eye
When I was training, they would declare their intent infront of the platoon and travel along disgrace avenue tothe gate.... we would give them a good send off when out running... in the song was the words "we dont live on our mamma tit!!"... Guess youd be answering to a judge for some kinda harrasement nowadays.. and damn, Im only 10 yrs out.... things really change....

Old 04-11-2007, 06:29 AM
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadetpaul View Post
Why is the US Army still doing sit-ups when the whole world that exercises knows it is inefficient and bad for your body?

From WikiHow:

From [url]http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/1997/06jun/sit_up.htm[/url]

Personally, my neck hurts from doing sit-ups. I probably pull too much with my hands.

Sit-ups are not making my abs that much stronger fast. Doesnt really make my abs more tone. If anything, it just makes me tired.

I can pass a PT Test. I am not some PT failure complaining the system is against me.

Its just that since the US Army is developing, isn't it time to update our APFT and PT Program?

Some substitutes I could recommend:

Simply, dont place hands behind the head for sit-ups.
(Lets decrease the disability percentage for once from retiree's complaining about neck problems)

Find another ab exercise to test out.
(One we did in Soccer practice was lay flat on the ground, hold onto something like someone else's legs with your hands, and lift your legs straight up 90 degrees)
That could be a good replacement and work out our abs way better.

Can anyone recommend who I could email about this also in the US Army?
I believe we can change the APFT to be more efficient. It is 2007 now. We have gotten wiser on bad exersices.
Ok as Bones said sit-ups only work the top 4 ab muscles and the soccer excercise works the bottom (2?) I do them both and I cross my arms across my chest when doing sit-ups and crunches.

I also do one where if done right it will work the side muscles, get in situp place and place right leg on left knee then bring left side of body to the right leg, repeat for left leg.

Last edited by jmm001847'; 04-12-2007 at 06:33 AM..

Old 04-17-2007, 11:22 AM
Private

Yea sit-ups s*cks, but on a AFPT hands are on the back of the head with finger interlocked or touching. So you need to learn how to properly do the sit-up the Army way to avoid neck and back strain during the AFPT.

ReneeMo

Old 04-27-2007, 10:21 AM
Administrator

Talking The Navy Way.

In the Navy not only can you sail the seven seas but they also have you perform sit-ups in a safer manner. Cross your arms across your chest, each hand touching the opposite shoulder and do them that way. There is no temptation to try to pull yourself up by the neck that way. BTW even though I have been out for over a decade I still do 50 sit-ups X 50 push-ups every morning. Sit-ups are not inherently bad for you but like any exercise if you don't do them correctly you can hurt yourself.

"Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!" -Admiral David Farragut

Old 04-27-2007, 12:18 PM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
In the Navy not only can you sail the seven seas but they also have you perform sit-ups in a safer manner. Cross your arms across your chest, each hand touching the opposite shoulder and do them that way. There is no temptation to try to pull yourself up by the neck that way. BTW even though I have been out for over a decade I still do 50 sit-ups X 50 push-ups every morning. Sit-ups are not inherently bad for you but like any exercise if you don't do them correctly you can hurt yourself.
Yep, sounds like the Rubber Ducky Brigade got it right.... for a change!!!....

Old 04-27-2007, 01:21 PM
First Sergeant

the sit ups will never change because thats how the Army has it set up for score keeping and for ways to tell that your disqualified from that event. what you do in your practice time for the APFT is up to you that will lesson some of the risk of hurting your self, it might also help if you didn't pull on your neck when conducting your APFT this is an operator error.

the place to start for changing that APFT which you won't get anywhere is [url]http://www.tradoc.army.mil/[/url].... these guys set the training standard but like we have all said good luck with that