armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Army.com General Discussions > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password

Old 02-12-2009, 12:41 AM
Recruit

Talking Brand Spankin' New

Hi everyone!!! My name is Mayra. I recently got married Feb 4th and am new to the military life. I am 24 years old. I currently live in Anchorage, Ak. I have been here for 3 weeks. I lived in Texas and have lived there my whole life so its a BIG change for me. Im just looking for friends who can give advice and who maybe i can do the same to. Looking forward to this forum!!!

Old 02-12-2009, 07:45 AM
Sergeant First Class

Default Welcom

Hey Mayra, welcome to the site. I am sure as a new Army bride you will have alot of questions. I was in the Army for 24 years and there are several folks on this site who have many many years in the military. So if you have any questions, drop us a line and I will bet someone will know the answer. Msg Glenn is a virtual encyclopedia of Army and Navy info. Be careful though if you talk to him too much you will wind up enlisting for airborne infantry Ranger!!! LOL

Old 02-12-2009, 08:39 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmedik View Post
Msg Glenn is a virtual encyclopedia of Army and Navy info
Yes he is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmedik View Post
Be careful though if you talk to him too much you will wind up enlisting for airborne infantry Ranger!!! LOL
Worked for me!! Hopefully I'll have my Option 40 contract in hand by months end.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:20 AM
Brigadier General

Hi, Mayra!

I see you moved from a big state to a HUGE state. Hope you enjoy the new climate. cheer up. Come july or August you'll be out of the winter season for a month or so.

What does your husband do in the Army?

I hope you enjoy life as an Army spouse. My wife was an Army wife for 21 years. We didn't know each other for the 6 years I was in the Navy which is just as well because if I wasn't at sea I was in a training cycle so we wouldn't have gotten to see each other very often.

Not a whole lot better in the Army but she stayed at home with the kids & came down to Ft. Bragg during the summer months & stayed at my buddy's house along with the kids. He & his wife were childless & treated my kids as their own. Then I had 30 days of leave each year & was able to come home when they weren't down there.

Now we have to try to get you in the Army!
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:55 AM
Recruit

well he is airborne infantry.. I'm not too good with the military language because its like a foreign language to me, so im not sure if thats the correct term. As for the climate, it really isnt as bad as i expected. Im not too fond of the cold but this cold i'm handling pretty well. It is a HUGE move and I'm doing fine with it now. My husband should be deploying soon and I am soo scared of staying here on my own with no family. What really stresses me out right now is financial matters. Im not sure exactly what we have to do to get everything set, like what kind of paperwork should my husband submit for BAH and just in general. I already got enrolled in DEERS and recieved my military ID, and am enrolled in Tricare. I have to have an efmp screening because Alaska is considered overseas and i wasnt able to get a physical til close to his deployment date so I think I'll be stuck on my own with all of this. Dont get me wrong, i do want to be here and am willing to stick it out, Im just SO STRESSED right now.. Any help would be a HUGE help Thanks!!