armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Basic Training
User Name
Password

Old 04-28-2009, 06:54 PM
Private First Class

Default Hometown Recruiting

My soldier is interested in hometown recruiting, but is getting conflicting information on how to sign up. He graduates from BCT at Ft. Jackson on 5/29, then heads to FLW for AIT. Does anyone have any experience or information on the hometown recruiting program?

Thanks!

Donna
Proud Mom of Jake
Fort Jackson 1/13
Foxtrot Co. 1st Platoon

Old 04-29-2009, 06:26 AM
Brigadier General

My son was a Hometown Recruiter after he completed RIP. When he reported to his Ranger Batt they were all on pre-deployment leave & he didn't have any leave on the books so they sent him home as a Hometown Recruiter. He didn't like it. His own Recruiter was one of his bosses & he already had issues with him during the Recruitment process. He was treated like schit & was constanly being threatened with having his recruiting orders pulled & either charge him with leave or send him back if he didn't perform & get X amount of names daily.

Most of the stories I've heard about Hometown Recruiting are positive. The soldier goes to his H.S. & talks to people & then he'll fill brochure racks with recruiting info at libraries & other public buildings.

I think all a recruit has to do is put in for it. Probably ask his DS when it's getting close to graduation (they're usually a lot milder by then).

Try calling his Recruiter & ask him. I'll bet they can request him to be put on orders.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:04 AM
Sergeant First Class

Default in this thread

click this link and read post number 4. your info is there.[url]http://www.army.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8844&highlight=hometown+recruitin g[/url]

I did special recruiting which is similar to hometown recruiting except its for NCOs with combat experience. They wanted those types to talk to new prospects. I enjoyed it, made extra money and had 10 days of free leave and received this excellent memorandum

marines in boot rappelling

I love this video by the way.

[URL=http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f252/signalwarrant/?action=view&current=ThankyouSoldier.flv][/URL]

Last edited by wolq; 04-29-2009 at 07:14 AM..

Old 04-29-2009, 11:09 AM
Private First Class

Default Home Town Recruiting

I hear that once you get to your AIT the DS will ask those who want to apply for it to apply. I believe this is the time when you ask for additional time away as well. By the end of your AIT you will have accrued some time that you are able to take (usually)..
With the Hometown Recruiting I hear that it isn't always approved - another wait and see. lol.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:32 AM
Private First Class

Default Home Town Recruiting

I hear that once you get to your AIT the DS will ask those who want to apply for it to apply. I believe this is the time when you ask for additional time away as well. By the end of your AIT you will have accrued some time that you are able to take (usually)..
With the Hometown Recruiting I hear that it isn't always approved - another wait and see. lol.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:13 PM
Private First Class

Default Htr

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I will let him know when I next speak with him.

Donna

Old 04-29-2009, 02:53 PM
Sergeant First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by klovato View Post
sometimes its approved and happens before you go to AIT. So soldiers on home on leave after basic can get it depending on when there is school date or it can pushed to a later date due to it.