armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > General Military Discussions
User Name
Password

Old 05-02-2009, 11:51 AM
Private

Default retirement

If i was to enlist for a 4 year contract and complete it then when my contract is up take 4 years off to go to school, would i need to do 16 or 20 years more after school to get my retirement check?

Old 05-02-2009, 12:17 PM
Corporal

You can retire after 20 years of active service. If you did 4 active, left and reentered, you would do 16 more before becoming eligible. Be advised, though, it is often difficcult to come back in after a break in service.

Good luck!

Old 05-02-2009, 12:24 PM
Brigadier General

Welcome back, Doc. I was afraid we lost you.

kamurder,

Gruntmedic is right. There are times when prior service aren't sought for further military service.. But then again ther are times they are. Bonuses for PS are usually small or non-existent unless you come back in a critical MOS

You can also make a career in the Guard & Reserve. Many who are on active duty can take college courses, too, either online, resident or correspondence courses. I got both an Associates & Bachelor's degrees while on active duty for Criminal Justice & liberal arts with an English major, History minor (almost a major with some additional classes before & after I retired), & am now close to a Master's.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:39 AM
Sergeant First Class

Poster,

If you get out with 4 years of service with an Re-code of 1, you shouldnt have any problems getting back in. You will have to take the asvab again and go to MEPS. Also, if you are doing 4 years of college, I suggest that you go through ROTC and when you done, you can be commissioned a second lieutenant in the Reserves or Active component. Officer retirement is much better than enlisted.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:42 AM
Brigadier General

Good advice from Mr. Q. If the college of you choice doesn't have ROTC you can come back into the Army with an OCS contract. I think you'll go to WTC (as prior service instead of BCT) & then OCS. Of course in 4 years a lot can change.
Retired MSG

Old 05-03-2009, 11:37 AM
Private

whats so different besides more money if you retire as an officer?

Old 05-03-2009, 12:11 PM
Brigadier General

That's about it - more money. I think a retired COL with as many years in as me makes about twice as much. Of course they get paid more while they're on active duty also.
Retired MSG

Old 05-03-2009, 09:39 PM
Private First Class

Not to mention the higher your rank the better your living area will be. The Major at Ft. Benning has a AMAZING house. Beautiful blue with flags lining the whole driveway. Even has a guest house if I'm not mistaken. It's surly a site to see if you like that kind of stuff.