armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Enlistment Information
User Name
Password

Old 05-03-2009, 06:13 AM
Brigadier General

There's about an average of a 60% fail rate in RIP. Some happen the first day when they bust the APFT & some drop out throughout the course. Some are also recycled into one of the next classes. There's no way to predict the drop rate. When the class starts it should already be full. Once people drop out there is no way to bring the class up to it's maximum amount of students because it's already started. Everyone one has to start form day 1.

Now you have Ranger Recruiters coming to the various OSUTs & AITs looking to fill slots. That means that all of the slots weren't filled from the beginning. Same goes for Airborne School. When my son started Airborne School I was talking to a SGT Airborne & asked him why so many were selected as volunteers from 11X OSUT. He just shrugged his shoulders. He said that Recruiters weren't filling the slots for them so they had to do it themselves. His contention was that all Recruiters should offer Airborne Option 4 contracts to all Combat Arms recruits until the slots are filled. The same probably goes for RIP. I don't know how many slots were available because only three volunteered. There were a bunch that already had the Option 40 contract.

Years ago when I did that we always had to try to fill our classes, too. In those days we had two complete Airborne Divisions. The whole 101st was still on jump status. I coulod see it then.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:34 AM
Private

thats bull**** then. why do they keep saying "you wont get option 4"

im pissed.

cause ill just have to volunteer for ranger school once im in cause i cant get a security clearance for 4 months as a civilian. but i can still get option 4 to guarantee my spot to at least jump.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:56 PM
Brigadier General

I don't think you'll ever be able to get into the 75th Ranger Regt. with a drug charge. Once you get out of OSUT & into a unit it's hard to get a chance at RIP. That means whatever unit you're in will lose you to the 75th.

Ranger School is an entirely different matter altogether. You'd have to have a little rank to get there. Sometimes the low cutoff is SGT. Not that it's impossible as a PFC. That alone still won't get you in Ranger Regt. After RS you go back to your original unit. At that time you'll have to contact a 75th Ranger Recruiter & try to get a transfer to the 75th.

With anything in the Army if it's not in your contract you probably won't get it. Unfortunately many who come on this site come on after the fact. They've already seen a Recruiter, gone to MEPS & signed a contract. THEN they first come here asking questions about Airborne or Ranger or SF. Most of the time it's already too late. Especially this time of year. Once a Recruiter has signed you up he has to move on to the next in a long line of those wanting to enlist. He's finished with you already & can't fool around with trying to get a contract rewritten. Those that do are rare. Maybe in the fall & winter they can help someone out more because they have the time then.

The ONLY sure way of getting Airborne is to have it in your contract. Not that it's impossible to get while in OSUT but you better be a super trooper so if your Drill Sgt is asked for recommendations by SGT Airborne you'll be one of them. Most DSs won't recommend anyone to RIP if they haven't scored in excess of 70% on the PT test.
Retired MSG

Old 05-03-2009, 01:29 PM
Private

well it wasn't a drug charge it was just admitting using it a couple months ago when i was a MEPS.

If i was to not leave on my scheduled ship date ( just not show up) would i still remain in the DEP and be able to get a new contract? if not what would happen if i didnt show up?

could i still join?

Last edited by kamurder; 05-03-2009 at 01:36 PM..

Old 05-03-2009, 01:56 PM
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamurder View Post
well it wasn't a drug charge it was just admitting using it a couple months ago when i was a MEPS.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:51 PM
First Sergeant

LMAO facepalm.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:33 PM
Brigadier General

Had you been on this site before you saw a Recruiter & you were going to admit that you smoked weed I could have told you "don't do it!" It's always best to err on the honest side but if there's no way they can check things out through police records then it didn't happen as far as they're concerned.

All they're concerned with is that you didn't have a charge against you & that you don't piss hot at the physical.

Keep working on your Recruiter to get that Option 4 or even an option 40. But you'd better be in superhuman shape to get to RIP.

Today I was helping my son & his buddy scout out spots for a land nav course that they're going to set up for their Reserve unit. The buddy, like my son is a combat vet, Infantry with the 1st Cav Division. He said he had an Option 40 contract like my son but busted the PT test on the 1st day. He had completed Infantry OSUT & Airborne School with the thought in mind that the PT he got there would be enough to see him through RIP. Wrong. My son & a few other guys who were due to go through RIP would do as much PT as they could on their "off" time. During morning runs they would always put forth 110%. At night before they turned in it was push-ups & sit-ups to failure. The guys who did that got through RIP & the ones that didn't struggled or busted out.

I had also prepared my son before he shipped to OSUT. Every other day it was a 2 mile timed run & once a week he did a 5 miler. Push-ups alternating with sit-ups every time a commercial came on TV. Sit-ups & push-ups after every run. When we went fishing it was in the water & swim until he puked. (He had to keep up with me, a former Navy Frogman). He did Judo 3 times a week. It all payed off. Except for the usual bull$hit, he went through Infantry OSUT, Airborne School & RIP without any problems.

If you're not willing to put out that much effort then don't even bother trying to get a RIP contract. OSUT will pretty well prepare you for Airborne School, though.
Retired MSG

Old 05-03-2009, 04:53 PM
Private

Quote:

If i was to not leave on my scheduled ship date ( just not show up) would i still remain in the DEP and be able to get a new contract? if not what would happen if i didnt show up?

could i still join?
anyone answer this?

also can someone define what experimental drug use is? like how many times is classified as experimental?

Last edited by kamurder; 05-03-2009 at 05:03 PM..

Old 05-03-2009, 05:33 PM
First Lieutenant

Quote:
anyone answer this?

also can someone define what experimental drug use is? like how many times is classified as experimental?
I can't answer the first question...but in response to the latter. The term expirimental is whatever you make of it. Its like a trick, because there is no real definition. Remember, everything is always "to the best of your knowledge". Keep that in mind. Some people believe that marijuana is not a drug, its herbal remedy. so iof asked the same question, they would deny ever using drugs. I wouldn't say to lie or anything...but I think you can see where I am going with this.