armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Enlistment Information
User Name
Password

Old 05-01-2009, 11:36 PM
Private

Default Ranger?

Can you become a ranger if you are 11x and you are about a year or so into your 4 year contract.

I didnt have option 4 or 40 when i enlisted, just stright up 11x.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:02 AM
Corporal

so i take it that your allready out of OSUT, right? ive heard that any enlisted male soldier can volunteer for ranger school. ive also heard that if the ranger school or RIP have empty training slots they will recruit canadates during graduation of OSUT. dont quote me on this, its only what ive heard from asking similar questions.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:12 AM
Brigadier General

By now you must be either 11B or 11C after a year in the Army. 11X is an enlistment option.

You'll have to put in for RIP. The only trouble with that is now you're in a unit & the unit needs your services so they might be hesitant to let you go.

How's your PT? You'll need to score at least 70% on the APFT for 17-20 year olds regardless of your age to get in RIP & once you get into the 75th Ranger Regt. you need a minimum of 80% to stay there.

I suggest you contact a 75th Ranger Recruiter -

[url]https://www.infantry.army.mil/75thranger/content/recruiting/index.htm[/url]
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 05-02-2009, 11:11 AM
Private

well actually the deal is that im a future soldier with a straight up 11x contract.

I couldn't get a security clearance because of marijuana use about 2 months ago. But i atleast wanted to get airborne on my contract so the RIP recruiters would come to jump school to recruit me.

I was told if i just has 11x contract with no options then people would come to OSUT to recruit me for jump school. I realized i got jewed and went back in the recruiting office yesterday to get them to change my contract to include option 4 (jumpschool). They submitted the paper to the commander to see if he will let me change it.

I'm shipping out 20090707. is there anything that i can do to get jump school at least guaranteed to me before i leave? I don't want to take the chance of them not coming to pick up more for jump school.

Ive been to MEPS signed that DEP contract and passed the medical.

Old 05-02-2009, 01:56 PM
First Sergeant

I'm not sure if you can change your contract now since you have already signed it. But you can always put in for the above mentioned programs once you are in.

Old 05-02-2009, 02:06 PM
Corporal

From my knowledge, You COULD change your contract, but you would have to DEP drop, then you would have to process again at MEPS. There will be people who quit BAC before it starts, so you could volunteer for a seat.

Old 05-02-2009, 03:22 PM
Private

do you guys think that even with the high enlistment rates that i will still get that chance to volunteer to go airborne?

Old 05-02-2009, 03:33 PM
Brigadier General

Try to get Airborne or Ranger in your contract. It might be too late but give it a try. For Airborne only you need an Option 4 contract. For Ranger you need Option 40.

It's possible that Airborne & Ranger recruiters will come to OSUT asking for volunteers. If you volunteer for RIP then you get Airborne School automatically. All Rangers go through jump school first. Be prepared to pass the APFT for the 17-21 age group with a score of 70% the first day at RIP. No pass, no RIP. Then after RIP when you get into the 75th Ranger Regt. you'll need a score of 80% to stay there.

You might ask why recruiters have to come to OSUT looking for volunteers to fill empty slots when your Recruiter said none were available. Good question! In my son's class all who volunteered for Airborne School, about half the class got it. Three others volunteered for RIP & they got it. My son & several others already had the contract.

You might have a little time left to get into shape. Infantry OSUT & Airborne School won't get you in shape for RIP. Rangers consider the PT you get there as just a warmup.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 05-02-2009, 03:40 PM
Private

i asked them why they come ask when the classes are full and i was told that the army overbooks basic training to have 325 people/300 person class. they overbook to make up for the people that aren't going to show up. He then said some people cant make it through training so they have to drop out later. They could also have a freak thing happen making them drop. So he told me by the time airborne/RIP comes around a bunch of the people with that stuff on their contract are done. Thus leaving some spots open for people to volunteer.

Old 05-02-2009, 11:24 PM
First Sergeant

Well hopefully you will be lucky enough to get in. Best of luck to ya.